2004 pitbull rip kit install problems

Been reading through different forums and none hit where I am I bought this 04 few weeks ago I’m harley guy this is my first big dog rode it for bout 2 hours trailered back rest of the way got home cranked up few times then my ignition module light would come on when it felt like it but would run for few minutes then cut off I replaced the ehc ordered new rip kit gen 1 installed it new pcb boards on controls and turned key just see if I’d get a crank over before re assemblying the bike and no luck my ignition module red light comes on for few seconds and cuts off if I turn key off and back on it does the same I am getting power from key to module and from module to starter and crank sensor is getting 5 volts which I’m not sure if that’s right or not when I hit off button I get a yellow light on lights under speedometer but nothing else out right control I’m stuck and had prior problems installing rip kit due to no instructions in box and them having no schematics for it at all so I’m frustraded and fed up with the thing at this point any help or advice I’d really appreciate it bike shop around town will charge me a arm and a leg and wants to order another rip kit thanks in advance to any help

Been reading through different forums and none hit where I am I bought this 04 few weeks ago I’m harley guy this is my first big dog rode it for bout 2 hours trailered back rest of the way got home cranked up few times then my ignition module light would come on when it felt like it but would run for few minutes then cut off I replaced the ehc ordered new rip kit gen 1 installed it new pcb boards on controls and turned key just see if I’d get a crank over before re assemblying the bike and no luck my ignition module red light comes on for few seconds and cuts off if I turn key off and back on it does the same I am getting power from key to module and from module to starter and crank sensor is getting 5 volts which I’m not sure if that’s right or not when I hit off button I get a yellow light on lights under speedometer but nothing else out right control I’m stuck and had prior problems installing rip kit due to no instructions in box and them having no schematics for it at all so I’m frustraded and fed up with the thing at this point any help or advice I’d really appreciate it bike shop around town will charge me a arm and a leg and wants to order another rip kit thanks in advance to any help
That red light is normal for the ignition module.
I am wondering if you may need a new cam sensor (crank sensor) try this: start the bike use a hair dryer on high heat around the sensor. If the bike cuts off very shortly after adding heat to it , it’s the crank sensor .

That red light is normal for the ignition module.
I am wondering if you may need a new cam sensor (crank sensor) try this: start the bike use a hair dryer on high heat around the sensor. If the bike cuts off very shortly after adding heat to it , it’s the crank sensor .
Right now the bike isn’t cranking over when I turn the key the ignition module comes on for second or 2 and goes away not sure if it’s suppose stay lit until turned on or how that goes all my lights are on left turn signal works but not my right turn signal when I hit off button on right control I get yellow light but that’s bout it I’m currently running through wires making sure I’m not grounding out anywhere I am getting power through it and only thing was weird to me was 5 volts at crank sensor wasn’t sure If that’s normal or not.
I will make intro shortly took me few days figure out how to post a thread alone lol

Right now the bike isn’t cranking over when I turn the key the ignition module comes on for second or 2 and goes away not sure if it’s suppose stay lit until turned on or how that goes all my lights are on left turn signal works but not my right turn signal when I hit off button on right control I get yellow light but that’s bout it I’m currently running through wires making sure I’m not grounding out anywhere I am getting power through it and only thing was weird to me was 5 volts at crank sensor wasn’t sure If that’s normal or not.
I will make intro shortly took me few days figure out how to post a thread alone lol
So I would look at my right pcb board and rt turn signal wiring harness for starting

Do you still have the OEM Thunderheart Ignition Module?

So I would look at my right pcb board and rt turn signal wiring harness for starting
I’m showing power through and to right hand control I made this post shortly after getting my new pcbs in mail and installing them and big dog manafacture say they don’t have a schematic to the rip kit so I’m basing it of the original and where prongs meet with new wiring harness is it heard of to receive a bad rip kit through big dog ? Tempted to send back get tested just make sure make sure I’m not chasing my tail on this one

I’m showing power through and to right hand control I made this post shortly after getting my new pcbs in mail and installing them and big dog manafacture say they don’t have a schematic to the rip kit so I’m basing it of the original and where prongs meet with new wiring harness is it heard of to receive a bad rip kit through big dog ? Tempted to send back get tested just make sure make sure I’m not chasing my tail on this one
Sorry man I don’t know the rip kit but
I would start with the right turn signal harness and work my way back

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
If starter isn't cranking at all, your ignition module is unrelated and Led is working correctly for your year, up to your current status anyways. Flashes then turns off till you hit start and it starts sending a signal.

With that said, you remember to plug in the green wire from the RIP kit to your starter? As well as battery and starter ground are hooked up correctly?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

awg

Guru
I took the RIP out of my Mastiff. I received the bike with the kit already installed. Didn't run though. Had kind of the same problem your having. In my case everything worked on mine Turn signals....horn....high/low beam. It even cranked over. But I was not getting power to the ignition module. I tried a new ignition switch.....new PCB board ....check connections. Didn't make sense so I ordered stock power harness from Donna ...put back in the EHC....and WHAM! Fired right up! So I'm assuming something was wrong with the RIP. So now it's hanging on the wall and I'm out riding! In my case I don't know why the dealer decided to put in the RIP kit and not just stick with the EHC. People seem to jump to conclusions and forget the basics.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I took the RIP out of my Mastiff. I received the bike with the kit already installed. Didn't run though. Had kind of the same problem your having. In my case everything worked on mine Turn signals....horn....high/low beam. It even cranked over. But I was not getting power to the ignition module. I tried a new ignition switch.....new PCB board ....check connections. Didn't make sense so I ordered stock power harness from Donna ...put back in the EHC....and WHAM! Fired right up! So I'm assuming something was wrong with the RIP. So now it's hanging on the wall and I'm out riding! In my case I don't know why the dealer decided to put in the RIP kit and not just stick with the EHC. People seem to jump to conclusions and forget the basics.

Do you think the stock harness was bad as a root cause??

awg

Guru
Don't know Paul. I bought it as is. Not running. Dealer I bought it from told me they installed a new "computer". Didn't know it was a RIP kit. Didn't think to ask them why either. But I couldn't figure out why everything worked on it except power to the ignition module. It must not of been the stock wiring upstream or the PCB boards. After installing the power harness wiring it fired right up! So now I have the RIP hanging in the garage. Would post a video but it won't accept mp4?

If starter isn't cranking at all, your ignition module is unrelated and Led is working correctly for your year, up to your current status anyways. Flashes then turns off till you hit start and it starts sending a signal.

With that said, you remember to plug in the green wire from the RIP kit to your starter? As well as battery and starter ground are hooked up

With that said, you remember to plug in the green wire from the RIP kit to your starter? As well as battery and starter ground are hooked up correctly?

oh okay thought red light stayed on when key was turned over to on position and yes I tested green wire was getting 13v to it at time had charger hooked up because battery had died on me been checking connections and cant find a bad ground or no power through any at this point I checked prongs going to right control pcb and was getting power to it was first for me to check since I had wire come out running it through the frame thought would be my problem but I crimped it twice doubting my self after few days ran it with prong wire it was touching on female end tech from big dog said was okay but past wed-friday I couldn't get a email back or call back was gunna try agin Monday

I was thinking same yesterday to just order a original and re install I've been chasing and checking wires which I hate with a passion. Im in aviation field and happen be chasing wires same week I decided to install this kit I'm on 3rd week now and cant understand why the manufacture wouldn't make some type wiring diagram or schematics for the rip kit I read good and bad about it through this forum and took chance with it instead just ordering a new ehc I'm probably gunna yank it out and send it to them for bench test and maybe get my money back if it is. a lot for me to throw down the drain
because at this point I feel im chasing my tail. guy you got ur new ehc from ship or was local?

I was thinking same yesterday to just order a original and re install I've been chasing and checking wires which I hate with a passion. Im in aviation field and happen be chasing wires same week I decided to install this kit I'm on 3rd week now and cant understand why the manufacture wouldn't make some type wiring diagram or schematics for the rip kit I read good and bad about it through this forum and took chance with it instead just ordering a new ehc I'm probably gunna yank it out and send it to them for bench test and maybe get my money back if it is. a lot for me to throw down the drain
because at this point I feel im chasing my tail. guy you got ur new ehc from ship or was local?
Well I have docs esc and it’s a simple install with schematics and axle makes a good system too.

awg

Guru
I used the spare EHC I had for my chopper. And now with the new and improved EHC it's the way to go if you ask me. I have 3 Big Dogs all with stock EHC and all with no issues.

I used the spare EHC I had for my chopper. And now with the new and improved EHC it's the way to go if you ask me. I have 3 Big Dogs all with stock EHC and all with no issues.
Sweet thanks for your input on this I’m probably gunna go route you did at this point and send it back to big dog for them to test and see what they say hopefully upload it running soon as update for y’all

Do you still have the OEM Thunderheart Ignition Module?
Then your issue is most likely the Cam Sensor.
On the 04 and older OEM Thunderheart Ignition modules if you do not get the Red flickering LED while turning the motor over then their is no signal from the Cam sensor getting to the Ignition Module. It could be in the harness if you have not checked for continuity between the cam sensor and the Ignition Module. If you have continuity between the Cam Sensor and the ignition module then the cam sensor is likely bad.

awg

Guru
When you press run button the red light on the ignition module should light up. When you press start and the motor is cranking the red led should flicker.

When you press run button the red light on the ignition module should light up. When you press start and the motor is cranking the red led should flicker.
That is not entirely correct.
Generally the LED will only light if the sensor cup is in the signal position when you first turn on the key.
Otherwise you will only see the LED when you crank the motor.
I have had a few on the bench that would light up initially when powered on, for one or two seconds then go out, but only a few most will only light when the sensor activated.