Big Dog Ricks 2002 Step by Step Paint

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Bdm used a TON of body filler in those old tanks. They were fazing out these tanks when I started, so I got to see a few. In some places, the filler might be 2 inches thick. I was like...uh guys, you know this ain't right. ..right?
Haha...well that's an interesting piece of history there. Thanks for sharing.

Wonder who was beating on these tins with a hammer before Big Dog got them..haha

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
Haha...well that's an interesting piece of history there. Thanks for sharing.

Wonder who was beating on these tins with a hammer before Big Dog got them..haha

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
The few times I've gotten a job on these old tanks, there is always rust under all that mud. That's a hard phone call to make, to tell the customer I'm going to grind it all off and have to fix it.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Very nice. But I have a question. Where in the hell did all the Bondo come from ... Bigdog!??

BigDogRick

Very nice. But I have a question. Where in the hell did all the Bondo come from ... Bigdog!??
That was the second year of using that stretch tank, I believe, for what is a small pool of bikes. I think it was hand hammered and welded, requiring significant bondo to produce the kind of smooth surface they wanted. [just saw airbrush-ed's comments above. There you have it - straight from a guy who knows!]

liferider

That was the second year of using that stretch tank, I believe, for what is a small pool of bikes. I think it was hand hammered and welded, requiring significant bondo to produce the kind of smooth surface they wanted. [just saw airbrush-ed's comments above. There you have it - straight from a guy who knows!]
Saw that after I posted. Talk about being pissed 10 yrs later when the issue shows its self and you have to have a new paint job!

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
can you say "Pig in a Poke". with that much bondo and that much rust, seems there would be the potential for the rust to go through the tank and start letting the gas flow all under the paint with the chance of it dripping onto a hot motor. WOOOSSSSHHHHH.

liferider

That was a huge issue with Martin Brother choppers. Massive massive amount of Bondo on those wild customs they use to make!

BigDogRick

That was a huge issue with Martin Brother choppers. Massive massive amount of Bondo on those wild customs they use to make!
I am not too upset really. I got 17 years out of it with some pretty extreme weather exposure as well as use and abuse at the paint saver zone for over 8 years. I have ridden that bike hard through rain and shine for all of those years. Cold stored through Michigan and Wisconsin winters. Summer stored in the salt air in Florida. Heat baked under a tarp in Arizona. Power washed bugs and grime off of it without thinking twice. Have fueled it unlined for over seven years without a leak. I think its just part of the deal.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I am not too upset really. I got 17 years out of it with some pretty extreme weather exposure as well as use and abuse at the paint saver zone for over 8 years. I have ridden that bike hard through rain and shine for all of those years. Cold stored through Michigan and Wisconsin winters. Summer stored in the salt air in Florida. Heat baked under a tarp in Arizona. Power washed bugs and grime off of it without thinking twice. Have fueled it unlined for over seven years without a leak. I think its just part of the deal.
Any updates, Bro.

BigDogRick

Any updates, Bro.
Yeah. This week we are collaborating on the rewire. The shop got slammed with AZBike Week and Sturgis and I had some pretty tragic family stuff (my very close Uncle is here in Phoenix dying of Leukemia and I am the sole family care giver). Scot and I agreed to let the bike sit while we weathered our mutual storms. The tins are delivered along with the new speedo and the bike is on the rack. I m hoping to spend a some hours at the shop this week moving it forward. We are hopeful of a completed project in the next week or so.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Yeah. This week we are collaborating on the rewire. The shop got slammed with AZBike Week and Sturgis and I had some pretty tragic family stuff (my very close Uncle is here in Phoenix dying of Leukemia and I am the sole family care giver). Scot and I agreed to let the bike sit while we weathered our mutual storms. The tins are delivered along with the new speedo and the bike is on the rack. I m hoping to spend a some hours at the shop this week moving it forward. We are hopeful of a completed project in the next week or so.
Can't wait to see it

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Rick, may your Uncle's passing be as gentle and painless as possible. but most importantly, may he go out with a smile on his face. thoughts and prayers for the family and your Uncle.

BigDogRick

Rick, may your Uncle's passing be as gentle and painless as possible. but most importantly, may he go out with a smile on his face. thoughts and prayers for the family and your Uncle.
Thank you Tom. He is the youngest of ten children, the brother of my father who was the oldest boy. My Uncle "Bo" lived with us like my oldest brother on Treasure Island, FL until he joined the Navy. He has been our resident manager at the vacation rental property my wife and I own in Cabo San Lucas living the life. He was a healthy, active and vigorous 75 year old until two months ago. Leukemia hit him like a rock and it is now taking his life with no warning. He is in hospice now, having beat the cancer with chemo, but has lost his kidneys and productive bone marrow. He will probably transition to the VA in the next day or so. I am glad I can be close and he is ready to quit the fight. We share the moments we can and I, in turn share those moments with his surviving aging siblings, my aunts in Florida who are eight to fifteen years his senior and unable to travel. We celebrate the good years and the bond we shared.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
all things relative, 2 months is not a bad time frame. don't mean to be second guessing, but probably would have been just as well off with a better quality of life if he had not submitted to treatment. :patriot::patriot:

kickstart

Bdm used a TON of body filler in those old tanks. They were fazing out these tanks when I started, so I got to see a few. In some places, the filler might be 2 inches thick. I was like...uh guys, you know this ain't right. ..right?
Makes one wonder how much other shit they did half-assed, eieio comes to mind right away also the control boards that had to be replaced only if the customer had complaints. Probably many more.

BTW Great Paint Job

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Thank you Tom. He is the youngest of ten children, the brother of my father who was the oldest boy. My Uncle "Bo" lived with us like my oldest brother on Treasure Island, FL until he joined the Navy. He has been our resident manager at the vacation rental property my wife and I own in Cabo San Lucas living the life. He was a healthy, active and vigorous 75 year old until two months ago. Leukemia hit him like a rock and it is now taking his life with no warning. He is in hospice now, having beat the cancer with chemo, but has lost his kidneys and productive bone marrow. He will probably transition to the VA in the next day or so. I am glad I can be close and he is ready to quit the fight. We share the moments we can and I, in turn share those moments with his surviving aging siblings, my aunts in Florida who are eight to fifteen years his senior and unable to travel. We celebrate the good years and the bond we shared.
Sorry to hear about your uncle. Seems as we get older more and more stuff gets piled on.