bigdogpartsking

Tom McDonald

Put me in the Donna fan club. Most replacement/upgrade parts on my 06 Mastiff are from her and my son has gotten all the parts to rebuild his 08 Mutt, after he laid it down, from Donna.

Tom McDonald

Hi Fellow Bikers,
I hate to be a fair weather friend and only post when I need something but I suck at social media.
I have an 06 Mastiff, it does have some head work done, there is a cam upgrade and higher compression pistons. I had this done many years ago and don't remember all the specs,nothing too radical tho.
I have always had starter issues. Even before the work was done the insulation on the starter cable melted.
They replaced that under warranty. The new starter cable did not last long either but of course was out of warranty. The battery is always on a tender even during riding season. Last week the bike would not start even after manually depressing compression release, so I replaced the battery. Waste of money still did not start. My garage is heated to 55 degrees but I put an electric heater blowing on the motor. After everything warmed up she fired up. My thought is that the stock starter just does not have the guts for the bike.
Any other ideas and if that is true any recommendations on the best starter option.
Thanks for reading this long post (if you hung in this long)
Tom