Bike quit & smoke coming from electric ignition

Energy One

Hardtale

Thrashing my way to Born Free 11 this am and 04 ridgeback quits and smoke coming from ignition wire hole. So quickly pull negative wire from battery. After a great day at BF trailered back to house and posting this before I dig into her Sunday.

Any ideas before I dig in?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Oh i thought u said ignition switch...i miss read u said ignition wire hole...im kinda lost ignition wire hole?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I gotcha cam shaft sensor...kinda wondered that....u can put a standard 3 wire harley cam sensor....u have to take off ur jst connector and put on this one....i never saw one smoke before just had them to act up from time to time then quit working...20190623_082635.jpg

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Im sure u know this already but make sure u mark ur old one so when u install new one u can get ur timing back perfect

Hardtale

Found this thread, looks to be a trend

Thanks for the help knothead

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
U r very welcome buddy...Yeah they do go out....ive got 2 04 ridgebacks....usually a camshaft sensor goes out thats all it hurts is the sensor....i have put fiberglass exhaust wrap on my pipes and put the heat shields back on so the heat isnt as bad on the nose cone which helps the cam sensor....they cant take the heat for very long..u can find a 84-99 evo cam sensor....they make a mc-spa1 and a 2 and 3....idk what they diffenrece is in them cause they all look the same and all have the same wires and voltage feed back and etc....im guessing they just updated versions....either of the 3 will work...let me know when u get back running buddy and if u need some other help on ur 04

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Yep that one is done....carb cleaner on a rag should clean most of it up....about 60 bucks and u should be good to go

Sven

See if this makes sense...
If I apply this definition: Magnetism = 'You cannot separate heat from the chemical reaction,' I now bring in Sir Isaac Newton's Third law of motion. Then apply Ohm's theory of 'resistance':
I now apply these theories to the crank sensor. For argument sake say a 2 wire pickup is a single wire of copper wrapped around a magnet and covered with epoxy. This now makes AC current. The third law says 'for every action' the molecule moves in two directions as it heats up. The wires pulse out AC current up those wires. At the connector connections, there is a chemical reaction happening at the male/female pins. The flow past that first connection can cause a 'resistance,' which now has to ground that which resisted back into the source it came from. If the pins were cleaned with a chemical antidote like a mix of baking soda and vinegar or vinegar alone, this would bring back the flow past the connectors and would not heat up the epoxy on the reversion. This theory melts my heart and I'm sticking with it unless you have a better theory to disprove the absolute theory of magnetism.

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

Mine did the same I replaced the cam sensor and my ignition switch and I go to start up and nothing my lights and stuff came on but that's it any suggestions