Black Widow

Big Daddy 72

Custom Street Rod Interiors & Design
My k-9 is all black and I have been beating my head against the wall trying to come up with something I could add to the paint scheme. Nothing big just something other than all black.

So I thought about painting a red hour glass on it but I can't decide if I wanna do it on the tank or the back fender. Any opinions? If anyone has seen a similar picture please post it.

chubs

Guru
My k-9 is all black and I have been beating my head against the wall trying to come up with something I could add to the paint scheme. Nothing big just something other than all black.

So I thought about painting a red hour glass on it but I can't decide if I wanna do it on the tank or the back fender. Any opinions? If anyone has seen a similar picture please post it.[/QUOTE
Why not take a couple pics from the rear, and paint the hourglass on the pics to compare and help ya decide ?:oldconfused:

PROFLYER

SWOLE
A pin-stripe hour glass on the rear fender would be cool. Doesn't make sense on the tank since it's on their abdomen. Or one at the bottom of the front fender kinda hidden would be a subtle touch.

Find a vinyl decal guy locally and have him make you an hour glass type decal in a shape you like (they basically print cut those) and then put it on and see what you like.

chubs

Guru
I have been thinking about some pin striping on the fairing of my new Bulldog, just enough to break up the landscape so to speak. it shouldn't take much, maybe in red to make it just a little quicker.
I've always thought a little pin striping enhances the lines of things. :yesnod: I do agree that a little red would look really sharp on the black. :drool: I'd say , GO FOR IT ! :old2::old2::old2:

Big Daddy 72

I was looking at black widow spiders last night trying to get a reference on scale to fender size.

Mr. Wright, if I wet sand the fender with 800-1000 grit will a red base coat stick? Then just clear over the entire fender? I'm trying to save the black base coat if possible.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I was looking at black widow spiders last night trying to get a reference on scale to fender size.

Mr. Wright, if I wet sand the fender with 800-1000 grit will a red base coat stick? Then just clear over the entire fender? I'm trying to save the black base coat if possible.
1000 will be fine.

Big Daddy 72

Should I shoot it with a light silver base or white to achieve color quicker. The reason I ask is to prevent several mils of paint. (Several coats) I know we talked a but about it, but just don't wanna mess it up.

BWG56

Guru
I have watched the pin stripers at some of the shows over the years laying down some neat stuff on different bikes and all I have ever seen them do is clean the polish/wax off and start drawing. I don't have a clue how long this will hold up though.
When they do this a lot of times the paint will etch itself into the top coat and it holds up much longer than you would think, even after removing something like this, if you view it from the right angle you can see how it raised the clear where the paint was. It can be sanded level with 1500 or 2000 paper and buffed up again to completely eliminate it.:old2:

Big Daddy 72

Just trying to be cautious and not sand down to the black base, and trying to avoid to much build up as far as the hourglass. (Trying to achieve color with the least amount of coats/build up of the red.)

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
When they do this a lot of times the paint will etch itself into the top coat and it holds up much longer than you would think, even after removing something like this, if you view it from the right angle you can see how it raised the clear where the paint was. It can be sanded level with 1500 or 2000 paper and buffed up again to completely eliminate it.:old2:
X2

I had pinstripping on my ram that lasted 6-8 years and that was without really taking care of it and truck stored outside. I think on an MC it would last a lifetime if washed and waxed regularly

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Roaddawg

Just saw this. Here's what I would do. Lightly scuff with 1000 to take the "shine" off the clear coat. Make a template for your hour glass shape. You could use frisket paper (any art supply store will have it, ie. hobby lobby, michaels, etc.) to trace the design from a picture or print from the computer. You could even use wide masking tape and draw your design on that. Cut it with an exacto knife or razor blade (small straight edge, not big box cutter type).

If you are using an opaque red, you could paint right over the black without an issue. Couple of ideas that would look good and spice it up would be:
1. silver marbelizer over the black, then red candy or brandy wine candy (will blend into the black more)
2. metallic silver base, then red or brandy wine candy. Add's some kick to the color when the sun hits it just right.

Then just clear as you would normally.

Big Daddy 72

Just saw this. Here's what I would do. Lightly scuff with 1000 to take the "shine" off the clear coat. Make a template for your hour glass shape. You could use frisket paper (any art supply store will have it, ie. hobby lobby, michaels, etc.) to trace the design from a picture or print from the computer. You could even use wide masking tape and draw your design on that. Cut it with an exacto knife or razor blade (small straight edge, not big box cutter type).

If you are using an opaque red, you could paint right over the black without an issue. Couple of ideas that would look good and spice it up would be:
1. silver marbelizer over the black, then red candy or brandy wine candy (will blend into the black more)
2. metallic silver base, then red or brandy wine candy. Add's some kick to the color when the sun hits it just right.

Then just clear as you would normally.
That is almost to the letter what Shannon did. After it was done it kind of looked like a hazardous materials plaquerd. Thanks for the idea not 100% sure what I want so just sticking with black for now. Shannon (Mr. Wright) did an excellent black paint job on the tins, near perfect I would have to say.