clutch issue, need assistance

Energy One

sparky_06

So i was overtaking a vehicle a couple weeks ago and when i shifted into 4th gear I lost all forward momentum. The motor was just revving. There was no tension on the clutch cable. Clutch lever just moved freely. I have since removed the clutch cable thinking I popped the cable, but the cable is fine. The clutch push rod looks to be undamaged to me. Where the cable connects in the housing there was no damage. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic and i just bought this motorcycle. I've literally rode less than 2 hours on this motorcycle. Once i got to the side of the road the bike still rolled as if in neutral. Any advice on what the problem is and how to fix I'd appreciate guys.

SimpleMan_Omen

Check you clutch cable adjustment. When I first bought mine it was threaded way way out. Also, I ran into such a problem not too long after that where the clutch was working fine then stopped. I had to take the cover off the primary drive housing and adjust the clutch there. Both are super easy and if you need help with them I'll be happy to talk you though it. From my experiences and knowledge that is all that I can think of.

sparky_06

Check you clutch cable adjustment. When I first bought mine it was threaded way way out. Also, I ran into such a problem not too long after that where the clutch was working fine then stopped. I had to take the cover off the primary drive housing and adjust the clutch there. Both are super easy and if you need help with them I'll be happy to talk you though it. From my experiences and knowledge that is all that I can think of.
I tried adjusting the cable, but it was just no tension at all when I adjusted it. I'll try the primary drive housing and adjusting the clutch there next. thanks

SimpleMan_Omen

I tried adjusting the cable, but it was just no tension at all when I adjusted it. I'll try the primary drive housing and adjusting the clutch there next. thanks
Remember to put all the slack back into your cable first, easy to forget. I had to clamp a socket in a pair of vice grips and put the allen head through it to get the job done right.

sparky_06

if it is loose does this mean replacing the hub nut or tightening it down? and thanks for telling me to drain the primary. I figured it was just lubricated with high temp grease

SimpleMan_Omen

Well you could open up the primary derby cover, but personally I would remove the entire outer primary to check the clutch hub nut and the primary drive chain and engine nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's why I asked. I just looked through the cover when mine came loose. But I had just changed the fluid and set the tension on the chain. Guess I hadn't tightened the nut enough when I did though.

if it is loose does this mean replacing the hub nut or tightening it down? and thanks for telling me to drain the primary. I figured it was just lubricated with high temp grease
Depends, if the nut threads and transmission threads are not stripped I would only clean the threads apply a little red Loctite and retorque it down. May be worth pulling the clutch pack and checking the plates for wear. I like to be thorough when there is an issue.

That's why I asked. I just looked through the cover when mine came loose. But I had just changed the fluid and set the tension on the chain. Guess I hadn't tightened the nut enough when I did though.
Understand but he just bought the bike and there are other things that could also cause cause this issue. By opening it up it will allow him to see the whole drive train.

SimpleMan_Omen

Understand but he just bought the bike and there are other things that could also cause cause this issue. By opening it up it will allow him to see the whole drive train.

Indeed. The screws behind my clutch basket were loose and rubbing against it. All kinds of crazy things going were going on in there. Every time a bike is bought it's catch up maintenance.

Get the updated hardened nut and washer directly from BAKER load it with red loctite and torque it to 150 ft lbs best results letting the loctite set up 24 hours before use but not necessary I suppose
I would be careful loading it with red, ask me how I know. I apply a moderate amount usually three small dabs on it and haven’t had a problem since.

sparky_06

so this is probably a stupid question, but to remove the nut I see everyone saying use any impact drill because it's on there so tight. if the clutch hub nut is loose will it be obvious as in finger loose?

so this is probably a stupid question, but to remove the nut I see everyone saying use any impact drill because it's on there so tight. if the clutch hub nut is loose will it be obvious as in finger loose?
It may have only backed off the pressure plate. It may be finger tight, check it and see.