clutch issues

Energy One

gearheadjeff

hi guys. have 05 bd chopper, 117 s@s, baker 5 speed. when cold and u pop it in gear, it jumps and stalls. it has a bandit 14 disc clutch. ive done cable and internal adjust. pulled outer primary off, all components look good, no warpage, and basket travel looks satisfactory enough to disengage things. after putting it all together and readjusting it, it was fine for a day. after sitting overnight, the damn thing still jumps and stalls. any input please?

gearheadjeff

i used motorcycle 20/50 synthetic at first, once i had it apart, i used non synthetic 20/50. tried it again today, rode up the road to run to store and clutch seemed fine. but when i started it, it was like the throttle was stuck half open, even tho cables were fine, throttle plate was closed, but it revs like a bitch and wont idle down! had to get a ride to work. im a mechanic at the york harley plant, and been a mechanic my whole life. this new toy has been a pain in the ass! it has no o2 sendsors or TPS sensor, and dont seem like its leaking vacuum anywhere. im baffled! what primary oul u reccomend?

gearheadjeff

also, it has a control box under the seat that has a series of lights on it. what exactlis the function of this? sorry for so many questions, but im 59, and need time to relax, not constantly fix stuff!! any input is greatly appreciated! thanks again!

FrankBDPS

You need to forget what you know about Harley's and learn about you're custom bike. There are hundreds of threads on this forum about all you're questions. Have patience and get things worked out. It is well worth the effort. Good luck.

Jwooky

Your throwing many unrelated questions out there at once. Try and break it down a little.

1. Your clutch plates are sticking. Are you using motor oil in Primary?? I would recommend Primary fluid. Has it been sitting a long time? Some seat time would be helpful too.

2. I don't understand your statements about TPS and o2 sensors. Is this an EFI bike? Don't think BDM had them in 05.

3. The device under your seat in the ECH. It is the electronic control module for all your switching/lighting etc functions.

Get yourself a service manual and it will help explain your basics. Sure if you ask around one of the members can send you one.

Sven

You need to forget what you know about Harley's and learn about you're custom bike.
Idle hang:
You need to remember what you know about harleys and apply it to this bike. Who has a leak from the spigot holding the carb, to the intake orings between head and Y-tie that distributes air/fuel only thru that passage. Can't be electronic is the advance curve. Sounds more like an air leak hanging up the idle. Sounds like a slide hanging up-check; sounds like cable hang-check again; sounds like a leaking choke lever-if applies... but if that was the case, rich to no start it flooded out with that kind of leak happening.

I'll forgo ign. Why? Not hard to start, not popping, no mention of say an ignition would be involved, or more like air leaks or mechanical at the carb instead.

Clutch Plate Lock:
Sure sounds like it as mentioned more than once. I did this, I did that, and for a ride down the road it was fine. Then it locked up again, I did not swap plates all around, so I should expect the same situation. I should be able to remove my derby cover, pull the clutch lever in with one hand, then move the clutch inner with my other hand.
I should be able to stab 1st with a dead engine, aim the bike in a safe direction, hit the starter button and two possible things should occur. 1) I start moving as the starter pushes me forward and now starts up and I go with clutch lever still pulled in. 2) I start the bike, the starter breaks the plates from the clutch outer, I sit there with a little bump forward before the clutch plates break and I sit and idle in 1st gear, clutch in, no popping out of gear, etc.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Idle hang:
You need to remember what you know about harleys and apply it to this bike. Who has a leak from the spigot holding the carb, to the intake orings between head and Y-tie that distributes air/fuel only thru that passage. Can't be electronic is the advance curve. Sounds more like an air leak hanging up the idle. Sounds like a slide hanging up-check; sounds like cable hang-check again; sounds like a leaking choke lever-if applies... but if that was the case, rich to no start it flooded out with that kind of leak happening.

I'll forgo ign. Why? Not hard to start, not popping, no mention of say an ignition would be involved, or more like air leaks or mechanical at the carb instead.

Clutch Plate Lock:
Sure sounds like it as mentioned more than once. I did this, I did that, and for a ride down the road it was fine. Then it locked up again, I did not swap plates all around, so I should expect the same situation. I should be able to remove my derby cover, pull the clutch lever in with one hand, then move the clutch inner with my other hand.
I should be able to stab 1st with a dead engine, aim the bike in a safe direction, hit the starter button and two possible things should occur. 1) I start moving as the starter pushes me forward and now starts up and I go with clutch lever still pulled in. 2) I start the bike, the starter breaks the plates from the clutch outer, I sit there with a little bump forward before the clutch plates break and I sit and idle in 1st gear, clutch in, no popping out of gear, etc.
Spot on unfortunately the Damn 05+ dont have Derby covers what a PITA honestly not sure what happened there on that design kinda poor idea in my opinion.

Run standard Primary Oil Non Synt. Or run ATF type F fluid. A lot of folks run BDM Trick Shift which you get st AutoZone for $10.

I would reset the carb to factory settings and adjust based on the S&S procedure. Rule that out and check for air leaks.

Harleys and Big Dogs are the same Damn thing still a motorcycle with 2 wheels, EVO engines. Like saying a mechanic can work on Ford's only and not Toyotas. That's just not a great mechanic.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

gearheadjeff

after some riding, the clutch seems fine now. its always ran and started perfect. i rode to the store maybe a half mile, shut it off. came back out 3 minutes later, fired it up and the engine raced about 4000 rpms. throttle cables free,throttle plate closed. could i have blown an intake runner gasket? tberes no sound of an air leak

gearheadjeff

it races so fast, that its hard to troubleshoot cuz i dont wanna blow it up! im gonna try some brakekleen around the intake runner. its been meticulously maintained from new, and only about 17,000 miles in it. strange it went from running gdreat to running at 4 grand. my new toy is becoming a pita, ive been a mechanic my whole life, and this shouldnt be that damn difficult. Im just tired of wrenching on it all the time.

heybaylor

after some riding, the clutch seems fine now. its always ran and started perfect. i rode to the store maybe a half mile, shut it off. came back out 3 minutes later, fired it up and the engine raced about 4000 rpms. throttle cables free,throttle plate closed. could i have blown an intake runner gasket? tberes no sound of an air leak
the enrichener valve (choke) may be leaking.
take it out/ clean , inspect, check for full shutoff try again..
may not be the problem , but easy to check

Ghostrider74

Hi Guys,

I have a Big Dog 114cui year 2007 with a baker 6 speed Trans, my clutch has 14 disc, and 13 steel plates, someone has a part number for this clutch discs ? I don´t find it ....

francoblay1

The Spaniard
it races so fast, that its hard to troubleshoot cuz i dont wanna blow it up! im gonna try some brakekleen around the intake runner. its been meticulously maintained from new, and only about 17,000 miles in it. strange it went from running gdreat to running at 4 grand. my new toy is becoming a pita, ive been a mechanic my whole life, and this shouldnt be that damn difficult. Im just tired of wrenching on it all the time.
I wonder how it ended up....

Ghostrider74

thanks guys for your help.

I took a closer look at the clutch and realized that´s Baker discs. In the standard package are 9, I need 14, so I need to order 2 packages of them.