clutch problem maybe?

Energy One

kiwi

I am having a problem with my clutch. Today when sitting at the lights i noticed the bike wanting to creep forward and thought that when i get home i will adjust the clutch.went about 2 mile down the road and it was worse:bang:. carried on down the road and at the next set of lights it wanted to stall. pulled over and adjusted the cable and seemed fine so carried on to the pub, (only 2 miles) did it again sohad a beer and adjusted the cable again to try and get home . no luck so left it in first gear and just rolled through the lights. thought that it might be the lock nut on the adjuster on the push rod but it seems to be tight. now the bike is cold the clutch lever is tight again , i dont no what is going on :bang:
any ideas ?????
i am lost
and i am not a mechanic , just trying to learn

mcgroom

Do a search on this. Common problem for the newer pups. I will try and find some threads for you when I get into work if someone doesn't already beat me to it.

lee

either that or your adjuster lock nut on the cable itself isn't locked down properly but as you keep adjusting the clutch yourself that is unlikely to be the problem. Time to take the outer primary off and take a look.

V

Guru
Yep my clutch basket lock nut was loose as well. Left hand thread and minimal lock tite

phatchopper300

I just wanta ride
Just a thought but check your clutch pushrod. Do a search there is a great "how to". This could be causing either creeping or slipping of the clutch.
Hope you get it worked out.

vej

Keep us informed

Let us know what you find out. I had a stronger spring placed on my clutch and the pushrod needed adjusting.

outdoorsman26

mine did the exact same shit last yr!!! It was my clutch nut!! crank that baby to 140 ft/lbs and do a clutch adjustment!!!

C

chaingunner

mine did the exact same shit last yr!!! It was my clutch nut!! crank that baby to 140 ft/lbs and do a clutch adjustment!!!
Yup, I notice mine was starting to do this, during a service I was doing. And it happened to my buddies 06 K9 also.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
recommended procedure:

1) remove clutch hub nut and clean both the nut and the threads fully of all (if any) loctite
2) torque assembly to 150 lbft to draw everything together
3) remove nut and apply red loctite
4) re-torque assembly to 120-130 lbft.

should be good to adjust and ride with no problems.

BikersDream

We build what you Dream!
recommended procedure:

1) remove clutch hub nut and clean both the nut and the threads fully of all (if any) loctite
2) torque assembly to 150 lbft to draw everything together
3) remove nut and apply red loctite
4) re-torque assembly to 120-130 lbft.

should be good to adjust and ride with no problems.
If you read SB-1107 you should also remove the o-ring behind the clutch basket. Dont forget this!

DeputyDog

Had a similiar problem on my 08 k-9. Adjusted the clutch cable several times. It was better, then develop again. Finally adjusted the clutch rod. Better...then clutch began to rub on outer primary case. Seems the problem was the clutch hub nut all along. My bet would be your problem is the hub nut. Check, clean and tighten it as others have said, then re-adjust rod and cables, and you should be good to go.

lee

hopefully your torque wrench will click on reverse threads - unlike mine. My method is TAF - Tight As Fuck. No problems so far.

Moespeeds

Also double check your clutch cable for fraying. A cable that is unwinding will require constant adjustment until it breaks. Also check your throwout bearing for wear, a mis-adjusted clutch can kill that bearing pretty fast, and if it comes apart it could ruin the transmission.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Definately pull the clutch basket out completely. This will require you to remove your motor sprocket as well with the primary chain. You want to make sure you don't have a busted carrier!

As far as torque... never used a torque wrench and I've done a bunch of em. Clean the threads real good with brake clean. Then apply a LIBERAL amount of red loctite. Impact... full bore while somebody else is holding the rear brake.

May not be the BEST meathod but it works!

Moespeeds

When I retorque my carrier nut, I get on the bike and put it in gear and put the front wheel against the block wall in my garage. Since it's reverse thread when you torque it the bike wants to move forward, I believe it's 80 lbs, and it's very easy to do if you have a long wrench. I also put red locktite on the mainshaft splines, I heard this will help to take slop outa the fit between the basket and the splines. Never had a problem getting it off again and I've done this maybe 20 times between the handful of bikes I maintain. If it does get sticky just warm it up with a torch, just be careful not to get it too hot so you don't damage the mainshaft seal.