COMPENSATOR

Energy One

aspen874

What are the pros and cons other than the costs of putting a Baker compensator on my 07 Mastiff.

TapioK

What are the pros and cons other than the costs of putting a Baker compensator on my 07 Mastiff.
In theory there is no cons. It makes the life of starter, tranny and you easier by working as a chock absorber between engine and clutch/tranny.
In real life it may cause clonk clonk noise if the spring is weak or compensator is worn out. Worst case scenario is the spring breaking down (was it Chubs). Easy yo replace though. That doesn’t stop you but is noisy. I was suprised to hear Chubs had problems, to my understanding EVO style compensators are pretty good. Not sure witch Big Dog used on his bike, actually I didn’t know there was one on Pittbull.
I don’t think your original primary cover have a room for it either. The Swedes had covers with room, I suppose they got them from Donna and Derek.
To my understanding most of the compensator problems are with HD twin cam, the “new” HD design is not the best to let oil circulate inside... Screaming Eagle model design should be better, or Baker, or S&S.
I should mention I’m not a mechanic, just been helping my friend to replace few in twin cams in our garage.
I suppose John would be the leading expert to tell how those last and work in 117 engine with “bit more power” than HD.
On my friends CVO he ended with S&S and made a thicker, thus stronger spring. It helps to have a friend working as a machinist in a huge ship yard.....

Last edited:

TapioK

Obviously this is a transmission item but never heard of it. What exactly is it?

It is right there. Chock absorber in power train. Helps to ease torque pulses on power train, thus making the life of starter, tranny, clutch and you (when riding slow speed) easier.
I suppose HD has used it on every model for last 30 years.

Last edited:

chubs

Guru
In theory there is no cons. It makes the life of starter, tranny and you easier by working as a chock absorber between engine and clutch/tranny.
In real life it may cause clonk clonk noise if the spring is weak or compensator is worn out. Worst case scenario is the spring breaking down (was it Chubs). Easy yo replace though. That doesn’t stop you but is noisy. I was suprised to hear Chubs had problems, to my understanding EVO style compensators are pretty good. Not sure witch Big Dog used on his bike, actually I didn’t know there was one on Pittbull.
I don’t think your original primary cover have a room for it either. The Swedes had covers with room, I suppose they got them from Donna and Derek.
To my understanding most of the compensator problems are with HD twin cam, the “new” HD design is not the best to let oil circulate inside... Screaming Eagle model design should be better, or Baker, or S&S.
I should mention I’m not a mechanic, just been helping my friend to replace few in twin cams in our garage.
I suppose John would be the leading expert to tell how those last and work in 117 engine with “bit more power” than HD.
On my friends CVO he ended with S&S and made a thicker, thus stronger spring. It helps to have a friend working as a machinist in a huge ship yard.....
Nope, wasn't mine !!

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Did you ever figure what was the cause? You said the spring broke down if I remember correctly. On the other hand I also remembered it being Chubs
The springs sprung in both the ones I replaced. Still not sure of the cause, but they were both OEM's, if I have to replace the current one, I will prolly ck out a better version.

aspen874

I bought a 2010 Bulldog Bagger which has the compensator I believe. There is a 1/2 inch protrusion on the front of the primary, you can really notice the difference in the ride, much smoother and no pulsation. I want to put one on my 2007 Mastiff. I guess I can call Baker to see if they have all the parts and try to find someone here locally to install it.

Sven

Call this style compensator as a pawl-ratchet type. Note the locking teeth in one direction. Note the noise once the comp begins to load up and rides over the teeth = The noise you hear. Same kind of noise if a kick starter was used, the bike runs and the ratcheting over the other pawl has that kind of noise happening as if design was used as a primary style...seen below.
http://baggers.bikernet.com/docs/st...h Used To Heat Compensator Bolt 01 02-150.jpg

Here is a ramp style, where there is no noise, just a ramp on ramp riding up on each other to comp for the reverse-torque, the pulse slap of the chain, to the gear change at the rear wheel upon lift. So as you can see, the ratchet style is locked in at throttle/cruise/startup/WOT, and any other one way direction I didn't add to the theory. Upon lift, the rear wheel is still moving and oh look! It rides the ramp up and you can't feel/hear shit... as seen below and this here design comp's to the LIFT.
http://baggers.bikernet.com/docs/st...ompensator Sprocket Installed 01-crop-150.jpg

Who is more dependable in design? Tried and true old style HD comp'inn say.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Call this style compensator as a pawl-ratchet type. Note the locking teeth in one direction. Note the noise once the comp begins to load up and rides over the teeth = The noise you hear. Same kind of noise if a kick starter was used, the bike runs and the ratcheting over the other pawl has that kind of noise happening as if design was used as a primary style...seen below.
http://baggers.bikernet.com/docs/stories/12987/BA-07Torch Used To Heat Compensator Bolt 01 02-150.jpg

Here is a ramp style, where there is no noise, just a ramp on ramp riding up on each other to comp for the reverse-torque, the pulse slap of the chain, to the gear change at the rear wheel upon lift. So as you can see, the ratchet style is locked in at throttle/cruise/startup/WOT, and any other one way direction I didn't add to the theory. Upon lift, the rear wheel is still moving and oh look! It rides the ramp up and you can't feel/hear shit... as seen below and this here design comp's to the LIFT.
http://baggers.bikernet.com/docs/stories/12987/width500/BA-14 Compensator Sprocket Installed 01-crop-150.jpg

Who is more dependable in design? Tried and true old style HD comp'inn say.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
My 04 didn't come with one and it runs smooth so not sure it's worth it. Might help smooth it out when pulling in and out of a gas station but otherwise not huge I don't think. I will say having my baker rebuilt smoothed out the ride considerably

So BDL came out with this updated one for the EVO. It looks like it may be a better option then the spring. It's also only about $100 on JP Cycles. They also make a 24 and 25 tooth.

http://beltdrives.com/products/chain-drive-compensators

Here is a video on it too seems interesting design. Also wonder if its thinner? I suppose not cause the instructions mention removing a spacer on some Harley's.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TapioK

My 04 didn't come with one and it runs smooth so not sure it's worth it. Might help smooth it out when pulling in and out of a gas station but otherwise not huge I don't think. I will say having my baker rebuilt smoothed out the ride considerably

So BDL came out with this updated one for the EVO. It looks like it may be a better option then the spring. It's also only about $100 on JP Cycles. They also make a 24 and 25 tooth.

http://beltdrives.com/products/chain-drive-compensators

Here is a video on it too seems interesting design. Also wonder if its thinner? I suppose not cause the instructions mention removing a spacer on some Harley's.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
I’d say the main thing is it might save you a starter or two in long run and maybe a tranny main shaft.. also smoother to ride like 5 mph...
I bet those two first ones were the reason for BD to come back with compensator... you can always use clutch when barely moving...

aspen874

I talked to Baker today, my 2010 Bulldog does have a compensator but it did not come from Baker. I will give BDL a call to see if they may have something, (thanks for posting that Eric). I can't find the post but one of European members modified theirs, anyone know his name, I would like to PM him.

TapioK

I talked to Baker today, my 2010 Bulldog does have a compensator but it did not come from Baker. I will give BDL a call to see if they may have something, (thanks for posting that Eric). I can't find the post but one of European members modified theirs, anyone know his name, I would like to PM him.
As far as I know a few Swedes have done it, I think best guy to contact might be Dragan Tanaskovic, Bikehouse Sweden.
Curtis mentioned he got the mods to the primary covers done.
If you already have a compensator, I would assume all brands fit though. What is the best one? To that Question I believe there is as many answers as there is brands.

kickstart

My 68 shovel had a compensating sprocket, never noticed much difference between it and the Pans without.

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
All this talk about it and now I think mine may have taken a dump again. Gonna dig in n see whats what. I wouldnt be surprised tho...changed out a burnt headlight in the truck, turn on lights to ck, the OTHER side went out! So yeah, prolly looking to replace a compensator....lol