EHC dead or can I bypass it?

Energy One

Big_B

Had an issue riding home last night where ground connection on battery came loose and got VERY hot, bike lost power and died. Replaced battery and cleaned all connections, turns over great and lights working, but no lights on the module by the EHC at all, and no spark. Its an 08 K9 with replacement EHC I swapped out a few years ago, got it from Kansas Motorcycle Works. I really need this bike running by Saturday night. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Big_B

What does the breaker look like and how do I reset? Terrible question I know but I don't remember seeing anything that looked like a breaker. Thank you!

Big_B

Found it and reset it, but no go. I did notice now that when I first turn on the key the neutral light and tach lights flicker for just a millisecond and then go out. Starter still cranks over though.

Big_B

Circuit breaker reset did not seem to make any difference in behavior of electrical system issue. Thank you though!

Coolbreezin

Just out of curiosity, can the bike be operated without the ehc? Im sure it can, but what other changes would be needed if he opted to go that route?

Big_B

Well crap. I had hoped a dead EHC would be more of a completed electrical system failure and this was something different.

BadDawg Bill

I may be WAY off base here since I don't know much about BD wiring but doesn't the thunderheart box control the spark? If so, see if it has power. If not hot wire it and see if it starts....

bigkelk9

Just out of curiosity, can the bike be operated without the ehc? Im sure it can, but what other changes would be needed if he opted to go that route?
Just so u know if u change it to hardwired system which is hands down more reliable, u will have to change ur controls to Harley style controls because them circuit boards for your bdm controls will not run off of a hardwire harness

BadDawg Bill

My bike is hardwired and well worth the trouble time and effort.. it's all a matter of opinion. I prefer this because it's simple and easier to diagnose. Imo. Good luck is which ever way you go
The cost to old school it is around $600 - $700 depending on handlebars and controls. I spent $620 total and it took around 8hrs to do it with beer breaks. The standard Harley controls don't look near as good as the BD ones but parts are way cheaper and easy to get. I got bars that were just like the BD bars for $180 that fit the Harley controls or you could add an extension to your stock bars with a 1" insert. The controls will cover the insert up. You can also buy custom controls that look great but then you will double the price of the install.

Either way as others have said it's well worth it and any shop can work on it and fix it. Once you take the time to do it yourself you will know more about your bike and enjoy it more without all the electrical problems.

bigkelk9

The cost to old school it is around $600 - $700 depending on handlebars and controls. I spent $620 total and it took around 8hrs to do it with beer breaks. The standard Harley controls don't look near as good as the BD ones but parts are way cheaper and easy to get. I got bars that were just like the BD bars for $180 that fit the Harley controls or you could add an extension to your stock bars with a 1" insert. The controls will cover the insert up. You can also buy custom controls that look great but then you will double the price of the install.

Either way as others have said it's well worth it and any shop can work on it and fix it. Once you take the time to do it yourself you will know more about your bike and enjoy it more without all the electrical problems.
This is my setup.. I think these vintage controls look a lot better then oem bdm.. jmo.. but I don't like being like everyone else as to why I have a BIG DOG and as to why it's as unique as it is.. just me.. but to each their own.. and yes hard wiring is the best way to go in my opinion..20160908_143717.png

bigkelk9

Sold! I will old school wire it myself. Anyone have a good guide for doing so? Will PM Controls work as well? I have them on a different bike and love em.
Don't know what pm controls arr.. but basically any controls that are independent and are either momentary or on off (i.e.open/ closed) should work just fine

bigkelk9

Sorry - Performance Machine controls. They a very slim and look clean, not round or bulky like a lot of Harley controls.
I seen a big bear with some of those yesterday as a matter of a fact.. very good looking.. and big bears are hard wired.. at least the model I saw was..

BadDawg Bill

Sold! I will old school wire it myself. Anyone have a good guide for doing so? Will PM Controls work as well? I have them on a different bike and love em.
Pm will work great but will cost ya twice what HD controls cost. Here is a simple wiring pic:

CFL_Wiring.jpg
And another:
ChopperWiring_zps466c4011.jpg
You can keep your rear harness and use the connector from BD. Good luck!

cdogg556

Guru
Just so u know if u change it to hardwired system which is hands down more reliable, u will have to change ur controls to Harley style controls because them circuit boards for your bdm controls will not run off of a hardwire harness
And you were giving me shit on F.B. for telling someone to go with DOC's ESC! :spank: Ahaha!:oldlaugh: Don't cha think he should bypass it first like bill said to make sure the EHC is fried? :oldconfused: Just say'n :oldsmile: :oldlaugh:

bigkelk9

And you were giving me shit on F.B. for telling someone to go with DOC's ESC! :spank: Ahaha!:oldlaugh: Don't cha think he should bypass it first like bill said to make sure the EHC is fried? :oldconfused: Just say'n :oldsmile: :oldlaugh:
Gotta love a fire starter first thing in the mornin.. lol.. and what I was tell in that guy is everyone was telling him its an EHC issue when it's clearly either a ground or a ignition issue and u chimed in and joined... :eek:... I don't care what he changes to and when.. I was just tell in him not to jump to that before other tests.. so.. That's about all I got.. lmao:oldsmile::oldrant:

cdogg556

Guru
Gotta love a fire starter first thing in the mornin.. lol.. and what I was tell in that guy is everyone was telling him its an EHC issue when it's clearly either a ground or a ignition issue and u chimed in and joined... :eek:... I don't care what he changes to and when.. I was just tell in him not to jump to that before other tests.. so.. That's about all I got.. lmao:oldsmile::oldrant:
I hear ya buddy! :old2: Nada problem,:cheers: just yank'n yo chain bra! :oldsmile: :oldlaugh: