Engine turning but not starting?

Choppergirl

Street Angels
I got a call from the shop today. They didn't find anything wrong with my bike. They said they put it on the charger for a little while and gave it a try. With my new 465cca battery it turned over twice and then would not turn anymore. So they put one of their batteries in charged it and tried it again. The guy said it started right up that time. So he said it is possible you got a bad battery but we will load test it for you and see what we get and go from there. He suggested the compression release upgrade/modification if I keep having this problem. I asked him how much they would charge so he is going to get me the info before I go pick up the bike tomorrow.
I have a question though .... is it possible for my trickle charger to give me a "false" green light and maybe the battery really isn't charging enough? The charger I have is a 6v/12v (automated) 1.5 amp the name on the box is speedcharger and it is from autozone. Also is it possible I need something better or bigger for this new battery I just bought. Thanks for all your help guys! Just trying to make sure I have covered all my bases.

03bdchopper

when I got my bike after my brother passed he was having the same problem. Started looking real hard and the bolts on the battery wasnt staying tight and the charger would show green light but was not making good connection.Also, when you start it and choke it, make sure while its turning over you pull the choke,dont choke it before you start it.

Choppergirl

Street Angels
Thanks Aaron will keep those in mind and try that. Right now I think I would try standing on my head if I thought it would work lol!

ksmike

I watched the video a few times and what I hear is a starter and solenoid that doesn't have enough voltage to work properly. It sounds like the starter engages at first and then stops when there isn't enough voltage to make it crank over, then as the voltage drops more the solenoid drops out. When it drops out, there is less load on the battery causing voltage to go back up a little and process starts over again.

I have put the same battery (Tomioka TR-B1500) in my bike and it made an incredible difference in the way it starts. My bike sounded pretty much like yours before that. My voltage on the battery was 12 + before starting but once it tried to crank over the engine the voltage would drop to 6-8volts. It didn't even have enough voltage to pull in the electric compression releases, which only compounded the problems.

It could also be that a connection between the battery and starter is bad, be it a lose terminal, bad terminal, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't "buy it" that your Tomioka battery is bad also.

Five Five

Ok I got my battery Friday afternoon (465 cca) installed it and plugged in the trickle charger. I let it charge over night and had the green light this morning. It was pretty cold last night so I started my shop heater and let it heat up for about 2 hours. I waited for it to warm up outside also,until about 1:30 or so before I tried to start the bike. To make a long story short it is still struggling to turn over and won't start. After waiting 18 days :angry: for the battery to arrive I Got mad loaded the bike onto the trailer and off to the bike shop I went. I told them everything I had done and I will just have to wait and see what they find. :bang::bang::bang: I did notice I had no lights on the little black box/start module that sits on top of my battery. Maybe that is all it needs :confused: . I will keep updating this thread as I find out what is wrong with the dog. :rolleyes:
Wow ... It's bad enough you had to wait forever... and now the battery doesn't work .... what the hell ! EDO Performance is a few miles away from me, let me know what I can do about helping you get another battery sent out to you right away.

:2thumbs:
"five"

Five Five

I watched the video a few times and what I hear is a starter and solenoid that doesn't have enough voltage to work properly. It sounds like the starter engages at first and then stops when there isn't enough voltage to make it crank over, then as the voltage drops more the solenoid drops out. When it drops out, there is less load on the battery causing voltage to go back up a little and process starts over again.

I have put the same battery (Tomioka TR-B1500) in my bike and it made an incredible difference in the way it starts. My bike sounded pretty much like yours before that. My voltage on the battery was 12 + before starting but once it tried to crank over the engine the voltage would drop to 6-8volts. It didn't even have enough voltage to pull in the electric compression releases, which only compounded the problems.

It could also be that a connection between the battery and starter is bad, be it a lose terminal, bad terminal, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't "buy it" that your Tomioka battery is bad also.
It's been a year with my Tomioka .... and it still cranks like new.... it's a fricken race car battery in a small package

Five Five

I got a call from the shop today. They didn't find anything wrong with my bike. They said they put it on the charger for a little while and gave it a try. With my new 465cca battery it turned over twice and then would not turn anymore. So they put one of their batteries in charged it and tried it again. The guy said it started right up that time. So he said it is possible you got a bad battery but we will load test it for you and see what we get and go from there. He suggested the compression release upgrade/modification if I keep having this problem. I asked him how much they would charge so he is going to get me the info before I go pick up the bike tomorrow.
I have a question though .... is it possible for my trickle charger to give me a "false" green light and maybe the battery really isn't charging enough? The charger I have is a 6v/12v (automated) 1.5 amp the name on the box is speedcharger and it is from autozone. Also is it possible I need something better or bigger for this new battery I just bought. Thanks for all your help guys! Just trying to make sure I have covered all my bases.
compression releases make a big difference... but your bike and many others run with out them .... there must be another problem were overlooking...

03bdchopper

I was going to put compression releases on mine (like I said I was having the same prob) but after three months of having it the starter went out. When I went to pick it up the dealer told me to choke it while it was turing over and havnt had a prob since,and im running a interstate batt. for twoo years so far.

Mojo

One (or both) of your large battery cables may need replaced, or there may be a problem with the starter motor. If the cables are corroded inside then full power will not reach the starter. Typically, when battery voltage is too low, the starter solenoid will have a "ratcheting" sound rather than the starter motor "grunting" as yours is. With the symptoms you have, I can tell you that it is not the starter switch, start module, EHC, or wire to the solenoid since the starter is getting the command to start. Another possibility could be an issue developing with the ignition system causing the timing to advance too much, making it more difficult to crank. It is possible for your charger to be bad, and giving you a false green light, but I doubt this is the case since the solenoid is working. I would like to think that they charged your battery at the shop before deeming it bad, but you never know. Ask them if they checked the resistance of your battery cables. Compression releases are a good idea because engines crank hard anyway since BDM did not use an ignition equiped with a V.O.E.S. to retard timing during cranking.

Choppergirl

Street Angels
I finally figured it out!!

I got the bike back from the shop yesterday, they said they could not find anything wrong :confused:. They guy that worked on it said it started 4 or 5 times for him no problem. He did load tested the battery and said it was ok. So I unloaded it off the trailer when I got home and said to myself lets see if it will start for me now. Same story slow turning and no start. So frusterated I came in the house racking my brain trying to figure out how he got the bike started 45 minutes earlier and now it won't start for me :confused::angry:. I thought it has to be my charger. Got in the car and went and bought a new one plugged in the bike over night. Went to work today got home tried to start the bike and same crap slow turn and no start :bang::bang:. I got out my laptop determinded to figure out how to install the compression release my self to fix this once and for all. During my search on information I ran across a comment that came back to this sight about high compression on the 03's. They gave the advice not to turn the throttle before you start the bike because is causes more compression for the starter to fight against. So long story short curiousity kill this cat and I had to try it. I turned on the gas turned on the run switch pulled the enricher and "BINGO" she started up strong! :2thumbs::D:D. I could not believe something so small kept me from riding for the last three weeks. I have been riding motorcycles for 30 years,since I was 10 years old!! This is the first bike I have owned that you can not touch the throttle before starting :roll:. Well I will ride tomorrow even though it will be 40* :D. I hope this small find helps someone else and keeps them from going through all that I went through. Thank you all for your help,it just goes to show you check and recheck the small stuff.

Five Five

Stacey keep compression releases on your wish list .... Its an easy install .... glad your up and running..

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
i'm glad it worked for you , but, it should not be that finicky. i always give the throttle 2-3 twists before attempting to start a cold motor and do not have the same problem. although i do have CRs. maybe there is just that little added compression w/ the fuel in yours that has been the culprit all along. like five-five said, keep the CRs on your wish list. now go ride. :2thumbs::cheers::cheers:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
A couple twists of the throttle before hitting start shouldnt be a problem. However your throttle must be completly released prior to hitting start. Giving it throttle while starting is what would put more strain on cranking it over.

Glad ya figured it out! At least you know for going forward what works! Plus you got a solid battery for the future!

Choppergirl

Street Angels
Wasn't it!

I thought I had it figured out, got home from work today and SOS! :bang::bang: Ok I give up taking the bike down tomorrow to have the Compression Releases installed. I will keep updating this thread incase anyone else having this problem can hopefully get some answers from what I have been through. :(