Finally completely fried the ol' Thunderheart

Energy One

BigDogRick

OK. Made the executive decision today. Gonna old school wire the ol' Dog and be done with it. I got 17 glorious years outa that Thunderheart but do not have confidence that a new module would not also require a new harness. If that's the case, then I might as well have a harness and relay set up that any mechanic in the country can understand and troubleshoot (not to mention your's truly). So, off come the fenders and tank - we commence the rewire while I have my old tanks serviced, maybe lined, definitely refitted with paint saver sand caps and a new paint scheme.

BigDogRick

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Will be talking to Roaddawg (Bruce) tonight about paint.
He has done nice work and he's local for you. Have fun with it! Can't wait to see pics when it's done.

Nice seeing you yesterday by the way. Made it to Brisbee for lunch only we didn't get to Tuscon till dark due to a 30 mile backup out of Phoenix. All the roads were jammed with accidents.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

BigDogRick

We found the culprit that burned up and took out my Thunderheart module. It was the speedometer. That explains why I smelled it so easily. So... now I need to find a replacement for that - pretty tough with the custom console and the reliance upon the transmission sensor - and the blinker/neutral lights in the dash. Thinking I am going to have to contact the original manufacturer, if possible.

BigDogRick

We found the culprit that burned up and took out my Thunderheart module. It was the speedometer. That explains why I smelled it so easily. So... now I need to find a replacement for that - pretty tough with the custom console and the reliance upon the transmission sensor - and the blinker/neutral lights in the dash. Thinking I am going to have to contact the original manufacturer, if possible.

Just got my hands on the speedo assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDogRick

Just got my hands on the speedo assembly.

It comes apart from the custom chrome dash! Fantastic. Even better, the console lights (blinkers, neutral, high beam, start) are a separate connector to the harness. Since I am old school wiring, the old harness should splice into the six feeder wires just fine. That makes the chrome dash adaptable.

BigDogRick

It comes apart from the custom chrome dash! Fantastic. Even better, the console lights (blinkers, neutral, high beam, start) are a separate connector to the harness. Since I am old school wiring, the old harness should splice into the six feeder wires just fine. That makes the chrome dash adaptable.

The speedo has a simple three wire connector. Since I will no longer be asking it to talk to a Thunderheart module, I simply need to find a tranny-sensor driven speedo of like diameter.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
The speedo has a simple three wire connector. Since I will no longer be asking it to talk to a Thunderheart module, I simply need to find a tranny-sensor driven speedo of like diameter.

Appears to be same size as all the newer dogs. You could go with a Dakota Digital. Or if you want a needle, autometer.

Shoot Curtis an email he sells the autometers and I believe he charges them with nitrogen prior to sending some they don't fog. He might know if it will fit too.

BigDogRick

Appears to be same size as all the newer dogs. You could go with a Dakota Digital. Or if you want a needle, autometer.

Shoot Curtis an email he sells the autometers and I believe he charges them with nitrogen prior to sending some they don't fog. He might know if it will fit too.

Donna just texted me. She has the direct replacement.

BigDogRick

Ok. Just delivered the "tins" to RoadDawg Bruce and reviewed the new paint scheme. And sent dims to Shannon for new gas caps and paint savers.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. Just delivered the "tins" to RoadDawg Bruce and reviewed the new paint scheme. And sent dims to Shannon for new gas caps and paint savers.

Can't wait to see what ya come up with!

BigDogRick

Replacement speedo arrived today. Got a little flaw in the chrome dash - think I will work around that. Got an idea to go over with Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro