Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Front brake master cylinder leaking...

Discussion in 'Help Wanted' started by chrisestel, May 21, 2010.

1. chrisestel

chrisestel New Member

My Bike(s):
    07 Big Dog Mastiff, 09 Road King
    First Name:
    Chris
    Im not sure where its coming from. I used the big dog rebuild kit with a new top seal, plunger w/ o-ring, and the rubber hat for the spring. When i ride it (i know it sounds crazy) the fluid comes up out from where the mirror bolts through the control. The bike has never been dropped and the leak seems to have come from no where... If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Its a 07 mastiff

Thanks again

2. PA Chopper

PA Chopper Active Member

My Bike(s):
    '09 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    Dan
    I just had this problem with my 09 K-9....except the fluid was coming out of the screw holes and around the lid. I think my lid was warped and wouldn't seal tight enough. I got a whole new master cylinder under warranty, installed it and it is now fine. I have read that if fluid is working it's way up around the mirror stem that it's possibly leaking from around the plunger and when the air catches it and blows it up around the stem. Might want to do a double check on your rebuild. BTW, I got my K-9 at Cycle City of Tennesee and the owner Duane has treated me very well. Sent me the whole assembly without hesitation. Great guy.

3. Can-Dog1

Can-Dog1 Rob

My Bike(s):
    2004 Mastiff
    First Name:
    Rob
    I'm into a bit of a pissing contest with BD now over this. Being Ed's paint got all fucked up over it. I sent the Master Cylinder for a re-build, the Tech said just the dust cover was not installed right. Tech did tell me the new chrome units are leaking from the screw holes.

Be interested to see what kind of response I get from the suites at BD.

Bob,

Just found out the Master Cylinder was leaking through the screws that secure the top plate. I’m to understand the chrome units have had some problem with this and they have been replaced under warrantee. You can contact Rich at Precision Bike Works as this unit was a new chrome unit I ordered.

As far as the brake fluid it is Dot 5 that was put in the Master Cylinder. Problem was the clear was so fresh that when the cylinder leaked it ruined the paint.

I look forward to your response.

Rob Andress
    Broker of Record
    MINCOM Island City Realty Inc. Brokerage
    68 William Street, Suite 206
    Brockville, ON K6V 4V5
    CALL: 613-498-2222
    FAX: 613-498-2248
    www.robwillsellyourhome.com
    www.min-com.com

IMPORTANT - CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    The information and contents of this communication, including any attachements(s) are confidential and are privileged to the recipent named in this document and is not to be shared without the express concent of the sender.

We have taken precautions against viruses and all spam attachements, but will not be responsible for loss or damage caused by any unknown virus or attachements present.

From: Bob L. Lockwood [mailto:Bob.Lockwood@bigdogmotorcycles.com]
    Sent: May-14-10 11:58 AM
    To: rob@min-com.com
    Cc: info@precisionbikeworks.com; Dan Wiens
    Subject: Big Dog

Rob
    We only cover warranty parts that are installed by a Big Dog Dealer or service center. It sounds like you did not use DOT 5 brake fluid.
    We only use DOT 5 in our products because it will not damage the paint. Currently parts on backorder are taking about 4 weeks to be filled.
    If you have any questions please give me a call.

Bob Lockwood
    Customer Service

Desk (316) 219-6532
    FAX (316) 219-9129
    bob.lockwood@bigdogmotorcycles.com

Dan W

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:12 AM
    To: Dan Wiens
    Subject: RE: Email from BigDogMotorcycles.com

Should have mentioned when it leaked it wrecked the paint on the left tank of my bike. Ed Williams had just finished a four month long paint job on the bike. The tank is back out at Ed's now in Kansas.

Rob Andress
    Broker of Record
    Brockville, ON K6V 4V5
    www.min-com.com

IMPORTANT - CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    The information and contents of this communication, including any
    attachements(s) are confidential and are privileged to the recipent named in this document and is not to be shared without the express concent of the sender.

We have taken precautions against viruses and all spam attachements, but will not be responsible for loss or damage caused by any unknown virus or attachements present.

Hi Dan,

I bought a entire new chrome front control, when I installed it the piston was leaking in the master cylinder. The bike is a 2004 Mastiff. I purchased the new forward controls from Rich at Precision Bike works.

Rob Andress
    Broker of Record
    Brockville, ON K6V 4V5
    www.min-com.com

#3 Can-Dog1, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. chrisestel

chrisestel New Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just got the bike not to long ago and joined this site for some help.... This was my first post on here and would like to know what I did wrong "no intro" so i can appease everyone in the future by not asking for help/advice in the future incorrectly.

5. chrisestel

chrisestel New Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Chris
    Can-Dog 1

I spoke with a BD Dealer and they asked me if my hand controls were chrome or billet. They said that they have a lot more problems out of the chrome units than the billet. Im going to call a few more dealers to see if they have any suggestions that may point me in the right direction

6. Can-Dog1

Can-Dog1 Rob

My Bike(s):
    2004 Mastiff
    First Name:
    Rob
    Chrisestel: Don't worry about it brother ask away. We like to see an intro from everyone who joins the forum, just so we know a little about them.

You'll find the guys and gals on this forum are very helpful and all are great people. We've had many, many folks that pop on ask questions then we never hear from them again.

Just do an intro, tell a bit about yourself, your bike... you'll really enjoy the it here.

7. Can-Dog1

Can-Dog1 Rob

My Bike(s):
    2004 Mastiff
    First Name:
    Rob
    Did this post get shelved? Went back through today's and yesterday's post and could not find it?

8. smoggyboy47

smoggyboy47 New Member

I bought my k9 new and only have 500miles on it because of the master cylinder leaking. Seems like the weep hole. I replaced the gasket and doesn't seem like the plunger is the problem. Tried to plane the top and it seems flat enough. I am very mechanically inclined but lost with one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chubs likes this.
  9. smoggyboy47

smoggyboy47 New Member

Oh, and it's a 2009....

chubs likes this.
  10. KnotSo

KnotSo Riding in the Cold & Wet
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog Mastiff, 2005 Buell, 2000 HD
    Wonder what the resolve was?

11. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    07' Mastiff, DOC's ESC, 585DualRunner, Spyder F3T
    First Name:
    Ker
    With the original OP's post it could only be the new seals might have a hair line scratch to allow the fluid to pass by to cause it to come up thru the mirror mount.
    As far as the weep hole. I know you just replaced the seal, but the hole is to allow air into the back side of the gasket as it expands to replace the fluid as the brakes wear. Unless it also has a slight hole somewhere in it also and allowing fluid to get on the top side of the gasket and come out the air weep hole.

Forsaken likes this.
  12. smoggyboy47

smoggyboy47 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am glad big dog is back. They only have polished aluminum masters available. Wanted to replace the assembly but even if I bought both sides in aluminum it would throw the whole appearance of the bike off.

13. smoggyboy47

smoggyboy47 New Member

Hey people, don't know if it's bad gas but my k9 ran fine then say for mabe 6 months. Now it acts like it wants to run with a few fire events then nothing. Bad gas ya think?