FRUSTRATED BAGGER OWNER!

Energy One

Vicki

I have owned my bagger over a year now going on two and the bike has not been in my garage more than 2 months of that time. The guys who have been working on the bike say they are going to send it over to Dirty rat Motors to see if they can figure anything out because they are out of ideas. Rick (owner at Dirty rat) says he is 5 or more weeks out and I am in jeopardy of missing yet another riding season here in Salt Lake.

One of the cylinders was shaved due to low or no compression. When it was put back together it ran momentarily but then only fired on one cylinder. Now they have that fixed but when on the computer whether running or not it keeps showing “bad sites”. It doesn’t go into detail but they cannot clear the code and it does not run right at all. They sent the EHC back to Curtis to be tested thinking that was the problem but it was not. It has never run 100% correct and when you really hit the throttle it sputters and then the check engine light comes on along with the same code. They got all the updated maps from S&S and say they have tried to tune it but can’t get it quite right. I’m just at my wits end paying every month on a bike that I have yet to enjoy while being on the forum hearing about all the good rides and good times I can’t take part in. It’s disheartening to say the least!

I have attached a listing of everything that has been done to the bike yet it still is not fixed. If you know of anything I can have them look at or try I would so appreciate it as I just want my bike and to be able to enjoy it worry free for a change. Thank you in advance for your time. Rick (SKOGDOG) thank you for all your help and for giving me some good resources to tap into.

Attachments

BULL74

so first sorry to hear the frustration, what about the crank sensor? My buddy has a deluxe hd softail and the local dealership had it for 2 weeks thinking it was the computer. It would intermittently run on 1 cylinder, and the dealership was throwing parts at it I was surprised. I suggested the crank sensor and he questioned the dealership and they said it was fine. Long story short, they tried to stick him with buying a computer he didn't need and it ended up being the crank sensor. And theyre not expensive to change. Only other thing I would wander, are the compression releases working ok? And if you have the EHC original harness, I'd be leary of it. My bike was acting electrically odd before I changed out the harness I'd also suggest calling dead one customs they were helpful to me.

Vicki

Hey Bull,

The crank sensor is actually one of the parts they changed out. They initially went with a wires plus but then took the stock harness off of another bagger they had, installed that one and then went with a wild steed EHC as they decided that was a better way to go. I put in a call to D O C 's but haven't heard back yet.

Hey Bull,

The crank sensor is actually one of the parts they changed out. They initially went with a wires plus but then took the stock harness off of another bagger they had, installed that one and then went with a wild steed EHC as they decided that was a better way to go. I put in a call to D O C 's but haven't heard back yet.
From the sound of this I think you are confused the crank sensor is not related to the ehc and Curtis does not use a docs system. I wonder if your timing is set wrong causing the bike to misfire ?

Vicki

They changed out a crank position sensor previously when it first got a bad sites fault. Then it started having issues they believed was electrical in nature. They ordered a wires plus and installed it. When that didn't work well they had to go back to a stock harness which they took off another bagger in order to use the EHC from Curtis at wildsteed.

Vicki

Woodbutcher they are actually sending it to Dirty Rat which came highly recommended by folks on the forum. Rick used to work for Big Dog and now has his own shop.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Ok, got something easy and cheap to try

When my efi was having trouble with hard throttle the two things that helped were

SEAFOAM
E3 spark plugs

When I ran champions they'd foul instantly and the bike wouldn't run. E3 and the thing perked up, not perfect but ridable.

This problem plagued my bike for a long time and I think I have finally run enough seafoam through it that the injectors are truly clean (really think one had something stuck in it pretty good)

For better part of a year, hard acceleration above 3000 rpms was non-existant. Now, I can crack that baby and overtake traffic like I used to. I had just ordered a TPS when the last can of seafoam made the drastic change -- I've had one or two little misses at hard accel but overall its been running great (knock wood).

Running well enough for me to put the vance and hines back on shortly.

Yeah I know I put up with it for longer than most would but I dodn't ride hard as a rule so it really wasn't an issue.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Woodbutcher they are actually sending it to Dirty Rat which came highly recommended by folks on the forum. Rick used to work for Big Dog and now has his own shop.
did not recall the business name "Dirty Rat". may have been mentioned in PM.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Vicki, your bagger is now at a shop that knows it’s ass from a hole in the ground! Owning a bike shop doesn’t make them wrenchers!! I once brought my dog to a Harley dealer who was having a tire sale. The mechanic damn rear destroyed my forks and did destroy my front axle by beating out my axle and not releasing tie pinch bolts!!! Talk about frustrating, and then put a new wrong size axle in almost causing the wheel bearings to overheat and seize! Don’t get frustrated let Dirty Rat do his magic!

Vicki

Thanks Liferider! Dirty Rat is still about 4 weeks out but hopefully when he gets it he can get me back on the road.
Vicki, your bagger is now at a shop that knows it’s ass from a hole in the ground! Owning a bike shop doesn’t make them wrenchers!! I once brought my dog to a Harley dealer who was having a tire sale. The mechanic damn rear destroyed my forks and did destroy my front axle by beating out my axle and not releasing tie pinch bolts!!! Talk about frustrating, and then put a new wrong size axle in almost causing the wheel bearings to overheat and seize! Don’t get frustrated let Dirty Rat do his magic!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I just looked at all the work that was done to your bike and I would be totally frustrated by the amount of work and the money spent. They did document your bike was running lean. The fuel pump that wasn't creating fuel pressure for the injectors was replaced and documented as working right after replacement. It shows 2 new fuel injectors installed. So, I would listen to advice that has to do with sensors and computer mapping for the fuel system. Did they tell you why they changed the spark plugs twice and what did they look like?

You've come to the right place to get good feedback. Just keep documenting what the mechanics find and I am sure someone on this forum has an answer to your issues. They did a lot of work not associated with the engine running right. I hope they asked you or you wanted that work done!

Vicki

I just looked at all the work that was done to your bike and I would be totally frustrated by the amount of work and the money spent. They did document your bike was running lean. The fuel pump that wasn't creating fuel pressure for the injectors was replaced and documented as working right after replacement. It shows 2 new fuel injectors installed. So, I would listen to advice that has to do with sensors and computer mapping for the fuel system. Did they tell you why they changed the spark plugs twice and what did they look like?

You've come to the right place to get good feedback. Just keep documenting what the mechanics find and I am sure someone on this forum has an answer to your issues. They did a lot of work not associated with the engine running right. I hope they asked you or you wanted that work done!
Good mornin Nukeranger,
They actually paid for all the work listed. They are trying to make it right since all of this started soon after I purchased it. They believe also it is in the fuel maps but they can't seem to dial it in without getting the bad sites code. Hopefully I will know something in about a month when Rick at Dirty Rat can get time to work on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Oh, thank goodness they covered those expenses and didn't take advantage of you.

I'm crossing my fingers that Rick at Dirty Rat can figure it out for you so you can still ride this year...:chopper: