Hardtail vs. Softtail, how much harder of a ride is it??

Hey bro's just curious how much rougher of a ride a hardtail is vs. a softtail is? Or a Pit vs. a Bulldog of those who have experianced both? Is there like a certain amount of hours where you can really start feeling a hardtail hurt'in? Or what is the main factors? Thanks!!

pig pen

The first good bump and you know your on a hard tail. On my pit I have rode around 350 miles in a day, Trust me you feel it. I love my pit and wouldn't trade it for anything,well all most anything. I ride roads that I know are in good shape but you will always get on a rough strech of road. Most my riding is short trips and the pit suits me well. You should test ride both and decide what suits you. Think about what type of riding your most likely to do.

K9Anniv

Smooth roads are a must for hardtails if you value your spine, kidneys and teeth. In Illinois, the roads are really bad..especially after thw winter we've had this year! :eek: :rant: If I lived in AZ or So. CA, a hardtail would be ok. Just my opinion...

barhopper

Another round please
If you don't ride much, you will get a monkey ass on anything. The more you ride, the better you can take it. If you want a strip club hopper, a rigid works just fine. If you want to ride distance, get shocks.

BorgerBigDog

BORN TEXAN
I havent rode a k-9 but for a rigid it rides good i wont ride on roads i havent checked out on my softail first. When i get off the Ridgeback onto my softail its like night and day. I chose the Ridgeback for it looks back fender is much closer to tire than the k-9. My next bike will be a k-9 but i will always keep the Ridgeback... :2thumbs:

V

Guru
I can tell you that my 08 Ridgeback rides a lot smoother than my 05 Pit. The only reason fo this is I believe due to the extended length of the Ridgeback. it seems like you get some flex in the front area, maybe due to the fork lengths.

Ride before you buy!:2thumbs:

BIKERDAD61

Puddle Pusher
Once around the block on each of them and you can tell the difference. When I bought my 05 Chopper the dealer let me ride both it and the Ridgeback. It's a personal preference, but I chose the softail Chopper.
My 47 year old ass isn't as tough as it used to be.:D Test ride them both and let your Butt deceide.

Vegas

This is kind of down the windshield alley for me. Sure I like the looks of a hard tail better but I know the ride won't be what I'm looking for in the long run.

T-rod

I've owned 3 Bigdogs and all of them have been Pitbull's. The '08 is the best riding Pitbull imo. I've ridden my friends '07 K-9 and it seemed a bit softer for sure. Every dealer I've been to has been willing to let me ride before I buy, so test as many as they'll let you. Good luck. :cheers:

bobt

i'm 61 been ridin for over 40 years,and i love rigids,and this old fat ass of mine has no trouble on my 06 pitt,plus when i ride,my hemroids get a good vibration...........lol

BWG56

Guru
Wow, thanks for all the replys I will have to put some consideration into this one... Is a Mastiff hard or soft?
Soft. Will you be riding at all with a partner? Something to consider, I know I'm an old fart but I like my bride with me.

Good call, I plan to ride with multiple partners ;) so I guess a hardtail would be even harder for her ass huh? May have to look into the Bulldogs and Mastiffs

Cephus

Hitting a good bump sucks but for the most part I have had no trouble with my pit. The 250 rear tire absorbs a lot of the impact but you still know your on a rigid:eek:

KLRDOG

i have had a 02 pitbull, a 03 chopper, and an 08 ridgeback. the pitbull was the worse riding of the bunch. the chopper was decent as it was a soft tail. the new ridgeback with its overall length of about 9ft really helps smooth the bumps out. the short pitbull hardtail beats you up considerably more than the ridgeback. you wont be sorry with a new ridgeback....:up:

Bocephus05

You can definatly tell the difference in a rigid and a softail by riding both down a rough road.You get used to the rigid tho..I've got to where I just kinda hang loose and relax on my ridgeback.Its kinda like gettin a tattoo.If you tense up its more painful, you gotta relax and soak up the road.:2thumbs: