Help with Gen 2 Rip problem

Kevin Wagner

My EHC went so I got the new Gen 2 Rip for my 2005 Chopper. Install went well all power was back all lights worked good, when I tried to start it blew the main fuse. I know the Gen 2 switches from positive ground to negative ground. does anybody know where the short might be found.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
My EHC went so I got the new Gen 2 Rip for my 2005 Chopper. Install went well all power was back all lights worked good, when I tried to start it blew the main fuse. I know the Gen 2 switches from positive ground to negative ground. does anybody know where the short might be found.
Check THIS out. :oldthumbsup:

I know nothing about the rip kits but in general I would check the connections and my grounds to anything that has to do with starting the bike. Starter, hand control and ignition.

PurpleDog

When you say you have the new Gen 2 RIP; can you clarify specifically what you have / sourced from where? I'm asking having had done a previous PDM with removing connections / hardwired and soldered and now the latest version with simple clean plug and play. The latest version has me wondering what fuse? I do have an auto reset breaker from previous PDM fuse version.

Kevin Wagner

I got directly from Big Dog. It's made to replace the EHC with out rewiring the bike, it's all plug and play. The only problem is that it converts it from a positive ground to a negative ground. The instructions say it could be in the handle bar controllers being positive ground yet. I'm still playing with it. Big dog, says the Generation 11 R.I.P. was the best way to go without rewiring the bike. First hooked it did all the checks all electric worked fine, lights, turns 4 ways, high low beam, break lights worked fine, hit run start, poof. Still looking. I don't know if previous owner installed the fuse. But I'm starting to hear about the reset able switch.

Marky-Marc

Kevin, I'm going to be the ASS here....WHY did your original EHC go bad? Any ideas on that?

I'm asking because if what caused your ORIGINAL EHC to burn out/fail was not fixed, just putting a new RIP kit/EHC/etc.. would not solve that problem, and from reading what you wrote, you followed directions and re-checked the plugs/wires....so, again, do you know why your original EHC went bad?

Also, I am unfamiliar with the RIP Kits, I'm still running original EHC's on two bikes....but, if a short somewhere on the bike made the original EHC fail, you need to find said Short.

Then again, it could be something much simpler.

PurpleDog

I got directly from Big Dog. It's made to replace the EHC with out rewiring the bike, it's all plug and play. The only problem is that it converts it from a positive ground to a negative ground. The instructions say it could be in the handle bar controllers being positive ground yet. I'm still playing with it. Big dog, says the Generation 11 R.I.P. was the best way to go without rewiring the bike. First hooked it did all the checks all electric worked fine, lights, turns 4 ways, high low beam, break lights worked fine, hit run start, poof. Still looking. I don't know if previous owner installed the fuse. But I'm starting to hear about the reset able switch.
Ok, that's what I now have. So I've installed an auto-reset circuit breaker versus a fuse to blow and replace. Simple - just different. The directions indicate a common short point for you to check in the handlebar control circuit boards having to do with a screw and/or circuit too close to the bars or some such (I don't have it in front of me; simply going off memory). I've not had my bike off the lift or started since install; however, all systems check were positive / seems promising minus the high beam indicator within the speedo.

Does what I've described sound familiar and if so, have you checked those?

Tomtang

Can't for sure,.but I think you had to replace the main fuse with larger one, and also put a inline fuse In the line leading to
The RIP so it will protect the RIP

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk