How to adjust your clutch (05 and newer)

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

baddogg71

didn't work

hello all
i got an 02 Bulldog i think the clutch went out on it . i tried the adjustment just like is posted here and it wont disengage. any help would be greatly appreciated...
thanks.

mrthick71

I was told at the stealership that I was supposed to feel the slack then TIGHTEN a 1/4 turn. everything else they told me was the same. I have an 07 Mastiff, are they right?

2004BC

FREEDOM!!!
On all the Harley's I've worked on the procedure is exactly as described in the first post. It's all the same unless there is some new design being built. In general, if you turn in the adjuster AFTER taking up the clutch pushrod slack you will be putting pressure on the rod, bearing, pressure plate,etc. This means you are trying to disengage the clutch. It's like holding the lever in a little bit all the time. This will prematurely wear out the parts since they are in constant friction even when the clutch lever is all the way out. I hope this makes some sense to understand the adjusting procedure. If it is done correctly and the clutch still won't engage/disengage you have other issues in the system.:cheers:

Thumper169

The 09's have the new ball and ramp and may need to be adjusted differently for this reason, this would be my guess. May need to be set up a little tighter.

mrthick71

I guess I've been riding around for 13k mi. with a fucked up adjustment. Maybe that's why the damn thing keeps jumping out of second when I speed shift. I used to work on diesels...I should know better than to pre load a clutch rather than give it free play :angry: :bang: :spank: .

DOGESTYLE

DOGESTYLE
help

Adjusted my clutch yeastersday and now I can find nuetral with a small rev but the clutch grabs about half way out when I release my clutch handle. When should the clutch start to engage and how can I adjust it to make it engage ealier?

isalas

Hi all, I just got the k9 out of customs, finally after about 2 months /sigh

Everything is "fine" (they did damage the tank and rear fender but thats another story)

I've always had harley's and Japanese bikes, I was driving the dog on friday thru a highway jam and I noticed the Clutch handle was very hard to keep disengage (the clutch appears to be working fine, it engages and disengages fine and gears all change easily) but as I spent 30min to 1 hour in that traffic jam constantly pressing de-pressing the handle I realized how much harder it was from my previous harley.

Also, changing gears is a brezze but finding neutral is extremely hard.

My question is, would this adjustment help at all with the handle bar pressure and finding neutral?

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
Not so much with the pressure it takes to squeeze the handle but may help finding neutral. If the adjustment doesn't help finding neutral then give the bike a little bit of gas right before you try to get neutral and it will slip right in. And another thing you can do is to slip it in while you are still rolling. That seems to help alot as well.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Hi all, I just got the k9 out of customs, finally after about 2 months /sigh

Everything is "fine" (they did damage the tank and rear fender but thats another story)

I've always had harley's and Japanese bikes, I was driving the dog on friday thru a highway jam and I noticed the Clutch handle was very hard to keep disengage (the clutch appears to be working fine, it engages and disengages fine and gears all change easily) but as I spent 30min to 1 hour in that traffic jam constantly pressing de-pressing the handle I realized how much harder it was from my previous harley.

Also, changing gears is a brezze but finding neutral is extremely hard.

My question is, would this adjustment help at all with the handle bar pressure and finding neutral?
You can order an "easy pull kit" from BDM. That will help ya.

isalas

anyone know what the easy pull kit actually is? there is no picture on the DBM website

Ill make the adjustment to fix the neutral problem, thx for the responses.

TLB08K9

Ok I have a question to see if I can chase this issue down, I have adjusted my clutch to where it works with no issues, then after about 4-500 miles it needs adjusting again (hard to find neutral and poor down shifting) adjust one more time and then 4-500 miles repeat. I have checked my center nut on my clutch and it appears to be tight 100lbs tq. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

I havent pulled the clutches down to see how much wear is on them (8k on the bike) or is there something else I should possibly check?

Thanks

TLB,
It's had to say from here with the info given, but like you say"maybe" worn disc, but I doubt it on an '08 unless it's adjusted to tight & slipping. Have you checked for a "possible" fraying clutch cable that's stretching out? What's the clutch basket look like? Basket not bent or broke?

:confused:

:cheers:

Last edited:

TLB08K9

TLB,
It's had to say from here with the info given, but like you say"maybe" worn disc, but I doubt it on an '08 unless it's adjusted to tight & slipping. Have you checked for a "possible" fraying clutch cable that's stretching out? What's the clutch basket look like? Basket not bent or broke?

:confused:

:cheers:
Nope no evident wear on the basket, was going to check the cable when I get home , yeah was just kinda of odd with the way it was acting. Was trying to see if anyone else had this same type issue and what was the cause. Guess there is that possibility of worn disk I do do ride my dog hard maybe it just wore a little sooner:confused:

Now one thing I can add is that an out of adjustment clutch or clutch that requires alot of adjustment is putting a strain on the clutch plate. At 3000 miles the stealer was forced to replace mine. Wow, what a difference. Smooth acceleration, easy clutch and works great.700 miles and still no adjustment reqd. If you have consistent problems and clutch keeped slipping out of adjustment check with the dealer on this. I have receipt and can state exactly what parts were replaced (under warranty)

have an 08 K9 by the way. Hope it helps ya

RRRUFF

Check and be sure you have the cable adjuster on the down tube locked down in place correctly with the jam nut. I have seen it screwed the wrong way and didn't lock the adjuster down. After a couuple of hundred miles it would get loose again.

isalas

so i did the adjustment, and now shifting is smoother than before, finding neutral is still a pain while the bike is running, the moment i turn it off i get it right in what could be causing that? or should i adjust it differently ?

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
You may have had this recomendation already but if you just rev the bike a couple hundred RPM and shift it into neutral at the same time it will slide right in. If some fine tuning of the clutch may help but that is the end all be all.

so i did the adjustment, and now shifting is smoother than before, finding neutral is still a pain while the bike is running, the moment i turn it off i get it right in what could be causing that? or should i adjust it differently ?

isalas

so I adjust it a little more also put a few hundred miles on the bike its now at 1600 miles and it seams to be getting alot better, I guess everything is just starting to finish the brake in process.

Status
Not open for further replies.