How To: Upgrading the Thunder-Heart Ignition Module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the dialog, Marv...

I did change the pipes, I am running MSG Blizzards, which are drag pipes, more or less...

I think you're right about the lean part, 'cause I noticed a lean cough through the carb a time or two.

I am currently running a "33" and a "76" jet....

MARV

if anything your rich with the 33 but check for intake leaks first.

to check for an exhaust leak, tighten the flange bolts first, then look for a puff of smoke out the exhaust manifold during a cold start up.

PS. those drag pipes are always gonna give you some pop unles your at WOT.

thats the kind of pipe that can use TQ cones and TM baffles to give some backpressure. IMO

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Um, actually I have a XXX carb on it, switched from a "E" to a "G"

So, you have changed the Ignition, Carb, and pipes all at one time since the last time you rode it???

If so, I'd say you have bit off a bit more than you can chew at one time.

I'd tell the normal guy that doesn't do "a lot" of wrenching on his bike to change each of those items one at a time and dial each in before moving on to the next. Otherwise when you get a "hiccup" you don't know what to point the finger at.

I'd say that, the ignition is a give in to be correct if put on setting 2 or 3 (28 or 30 degrees) seens how the timing can't be off because it has a crank sensor in it. No adjustments need made there.

So start by pointing the finger at the carb. MORE than likely it is carb adjustments, seens how almost EVERY XXX carb that comes from the factory can't just be bolted on and ridden. Almost all if not all, need some adjustment.

Start there and you should have it running smooth in no time

Thanks again for the input, I'm sure that with this info I'll get it right soon.

Actually, I have been running the pipes for a while now, and am pretty satisified with them, with no popping or anything.

I put the carb on and tried to change to a velocity stack, but I didn't want to run without an air filter so that's when I found the restricted airflow using the foam velocity stack air cleaner. I switched back to the stock BD air filter, which has a K&N filter in it. Everything good at this point, ran like a scalded dog, so to speak. That's when I tried putting the Thunderheart ignition back on, and that's when I encountered the dead spot on acceleration. You're exactly right Jake, I did try to switch to the stack and cleaner and run the Thunderheart at the same time, but after changing back to the stock airfilter and ignition everything was jam up. I had a couple of cough's through the carb, but nothing that appeared serious. It was then that I decided to try the TH ignition again, and that's when the hesitation began. When I hit the throttle, it dies for a second, then catches back up. That also is what prompted the question about the ignition, because that's what I changed just prior to the hiccup. I do plan on getting the interface cable adapter tomorrow so I should be able to see the map, but I don't plan on changing it right away, just fixing the tach input because it's at half speed. That is, of course, unless you have some suggestions regarding the map, but trying to troubleshoot a map here would probably be like flying an airplane blindfolded from the back seat... :eek:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Changing from the velocity stack to the air cleaner will require adjustments in the carb. It sounds like it is running out of fuel when you crack the throttle if it dies for a second then catches back up. More than likely a slight adjustment on the accel pump will fix that. Back it out (counter clockwise) about 1/4 turn and go ride.

You should not have to do a programmable map. Use preset 2 or 3 and that should run real good. I have mine on 3 but am going to back it down to 2 this weekend and try running that for a bit. Only thing I had to plug the laptop into mine for was to change the tach setting so it didn't read twice as high.

M

McLovin

I also have a Thunderheart ignition, what setting did ya'll finally end up at?

2 or 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.