kick start?

shitbird

Is their a kit to convert a big dog to kick start? i am curious. I have a company that repairs all of our semi trucks starters that will rebuild my starter for just the cost of parts. However i wouldnt mind to be able to just have a kick start on my bike to eleviate the whole issue. Just wondering if this has been done before?:loony:

Shane

Amen....my old shovel kicks back sometimes and she is a pup compared to my 117.....you would have to reset CR's every kick I guess....

Moespeeds

Yeah don't think you could kick start that thing! Put a plunger type start button on your starter. Starters themselves don't usually fail, it's always the solenoid or an electrical issue. Put that plunger on there and as long as you have juice it has no choice but to turn.

shitbird

Interesting...i was just wondering. i know kick starting a big engine would be hard,i'm just curious if it has been done.

nine lives

I'm sure you could do it with a left side drive and manual compression releases. As others have stated, kick back is an issue. On some large strokers I've worked on, I would do a primer kick or two then kick hard, if it kicks back you try to let the kicker fly back without your foot on the kicker.

Ray

Doesn't want to even think about kick starting. I used to have an older 850 Norton that I had to kick start/ no compression release and if you didn't hit it just right it would launch you or break your leg. We lived on a huge hill then,, oh yea ,, rolled it off!!!

Ray

erldawg

Guru
If you look at all the builders these days I do not recall any of them building with a kick start with the exception of maybe a Bobber....My first question would be WHY bother..

Mad Dog

ValueTeck Enterprises
What's happening on this forum? First BBC not wanting to drive a 320mph school bus now no kick start on a 117???:roll: I remember Jesse James trying to make a 2 wheeled scoot out of a 350 Cummins diesel. Didn't happen but he tried. Ended up being a trike.:2thumbs:
Why, because we can. This is America!:flag:
Besides a good kick back could give you a career in Nascar
walking in left hand circles the rest of your life.:lol:

Miguel Flores

Is their a kit to convert a big dog to kick start? i am curious. I have a company that repairs all of our semi trucks starters that will rebuild my starter for just the cost of parts. However i wouldnt mind to be able to just have a kick start on my bike to eleviate the whole issue. Just wondering if this has been done before?:loony:
did anyone answer this question? i built a shovelhead with a 6spd rsd baker tranny and want to put a kickstart in

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
did anyone answer this question? i built a shovelhead with a 6spd rsd baker tranny and want to put a kickstart in
You would need a transmission. Designed for a kick. I'd be surprised if they make any RSD setups for a kick since the belt kinda gets in the way. Not to mention kicks are typical on old bikes with left side drive the market is prob too small

RSD and a shovel? Well that's different. What is this bike? Got pics?

Sweet, let us know if it works.....lol

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BadDawg Bill

You have a few problems. As far as I know no one makes a kick for a RSD. Even if they did you would have to retard the timing so it wouldn't kick back and with the computer and electronic ign this would be hard to do. You would need the compression releases to work without the start button and go off when the bike started.... Just weld a kick arm onto your tranny and look cool....