Low mileage on reserve

Energy One

PacoPetty

i always just leave on reserve. just fill up more often. i did have one time when i knew i was pushing it close to home and i roll up behind a few bikes at a light. they take off and my nice shiny ride just coughs, belches some smoke out of the carb and i'm sitting there like a dick.

i push it to the side of the road and i hear a small splashing at the bottom. i leaned it as far left as i could without laying it down to see if i could get as much fuel on top of the petcock as i could. whallah. was able to get to the gas station about 2 miles away and top it off. cool thing was one of the guys circled back to see if i was all right.
That’s what we call dodging a bullet!

PacoPetty

I get 125 miles out of mine before I start seriously looking for a gas station I had to use the reserve tank today and it’s at least 3 miles from where I turned it on to my house.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
well with both my 08 K-9's (efi) the light comes on at about 3.2/3.3 gallons used which is anywhere from 120 (bad day) to 165 (best day) usually some where right around 40 - 42 mpg
If the light come on -- I get gas ASAP - don't think I've ever needed more than 3.7 for an aledged 4.1 gal tank.

mittens

SO my bike is pretty bare, Zero gauges, Zero Turn signals, rear brake light only, and always on High beam, Key start only.... makes for clean Z bars,... but there is not I need gas around 100 miles... haha I normally just always add gas. But still would like Reserve to work a few miles...

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
The down side of a chopper style bike with a sloped tank. I've gone down some steep ramps/roads that I watched the light go on while going downhill and be fine when I leveled off (still took it as GET GAS NOW and DID.)

shansel88

If I am lucky, my bike will restart on reserve - that's about it. I have definitely learned not to count on reserve. If any I act like it doesn't even exist.

mleach72

When I bought my pitbull in '05, I also had a ridiculously small reserve, less than 5 miles. I finally figured out what the problem was a few years ago. This may not be everyone's problem, but if you have a small reserve, it is definitely something to check. The fuel line from the factory is a little too long and it was curling up between the tanks. My pitbull has dual tanks, but this would hold true for one piece tanks too if the fuel line is sticking up in the tank tunnel. No part of the fuel line can be above the bottom of the tank. If it is, fuel will not fall below the highest point of the fuel line, and you will be out of gas, even if there is still a half gallon in the tank. I shortened my fuel line, and I can go much farther on reserve. I'm not sure how far I can make it, but I did make it about 20 miles to a gas station on reserve once. Maybe this will help someone .

bruce

sounds like a lot of you need to down load the carb. tuning from S&S web site ( it is free I believe ) and play with your adjustments and possibly jets , I get minimum 150 before reserve and have gotten 180 on non humid days have always gotten at least 12 miles plus on reserve. I do have a emission probe you put in exhaust, that you use on cars - so I can adjust to a good mixture, but have found biggest difference was adjusting mixture at idle. I am a conservative rider. I am in Pennsylvania below york near PA MD border. when weather gets better would be willing to help with adjustment ( no charge ) of course.