More open belt primary questions...

06Mastiff_shawn

Ok, I have tried to look through the old threads on the advantages and disadvantages of running an open primary. This is what I have come up with:

Advantages: No fluid leaks, more Hp to the rear wheel, easier clutch pull and the Bada$$ factor doubles if not triples.

Disadvantages: More maintenance (tightening bolts), the ol' leg jerk when your pant leg gets caught.

If you all could please let me know your thoughts, I am trying to figure out if it is woth it or not. Thanks1

Shawn

JaiLeR

I think the cool factor is the selling point and the reason I want to go to one.

It is my understanding that the wet clutch will take more abuse if you are slipping it on take offs or hills. If you don't use it in that way, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Think you got most of it nailed down, though I am not sure about more HP. That would varialbe based on size of belts, flex and other factors.

Another factor is that with an open belt, it is exposed to the element more and you have a greater chance of having a piece of road debri ranging from a small gravel to something else being thrown up and getting wound up. This sometime will cause the belt to break and/or screw up the pulleys.

Oh that getting the leg wrapped, take it from experience, if you get it wrapped hard enough, it will be something you do not forget for awhile.

Also JaiLeR has borught up some good points on dry very set clutch that may or may not be a consideration.

Can not beat it for the Cool Factor though! :2thumbs:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Jwoolf can prolly chime in here as he rides with a lot of ppl running the open belts, and has for years.

06Mastiff_shawn

OK,biggest advantage..."cool factor". I am sold.

Guess that will be my other gift to myself when I get home in JAN. I'll just tell the wife all those other things to make the sell a little easier.

Next question in regards to belts... Gas yours has the "phoenix" on it. Does anyone know if you can get custom designs printed on them? Just a thought.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shawn

pig pen

OK,biggest advantage..."cool factor". I am sold.

Guess that will be my other gift to myself when I get home in JAN. I'll just tell the wife all those other things to make the sell a little easier.

Next question in regards to belts... Gas yours has the "phoenix" on it. Does anyone know if you can get custom designs printed on them? Just a thought.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shawn
Airbrushed?

slowrower

2007 Mastiff
I wonder how it is in the rain? .. big spray .. also how much grud gets on your scoot from it plus clutch smutz. I like the Gasman's setup clean looking, guess when I scratch up the primary case I'll convert and go with a bandit clutch.

Moespeeds

No dust from the clutch, at least none that I noticed. As for the rain my buddy washes his Bourget/Primo with a hose. Only once did he have a problem, he washed it and then let it sit for 5 hours. The clutch pack rusted/froze up, and when he started it and put it in gear, he bent his shift pawl. I'd say if you gotta get it wet, make sure you run it right away to dry it out. I wear stirrups on my left pant leg to keep it out of the belt, I also had an issue with my pant leg hanging on my belt cover but again the stirrup solved this. If you have forward control extensions it's not much of a problem. You can paint your own belt with spray paint made for plastic (Home Depot carries it) and a template.

Slider

Here's a negative.

I hit my chromed billet clutch basket cover 4-5 times on tight left turns and cuss out loud when I do.

No places in my town can rechrome aluminum, have to send it out at $75 a pop plus shipping. Course you can run it w/o a cover.