Mouse in exhaust system...

Energy One

gkruger

My dream bike is parked in the "toy shed" by my house, but Im afraid of possible damage that mice might do. Ive got tons of poison all over but am envisioning a worst case scenario where a mouse crawls inside the exhaust pipe and tries to make a nest. Anyone ever have this happen? how far can those critters get up in there?I think I might put steel wool in the exhaust pipe but could be bad if I forgot to take it out. Curious to hear others experiences with rodents, critters, etc. and what they did and what you did about it.

Glenn

A toy shed full of mice is no place to put a big dog...a cat would be better...I would put it in my house before resorting to a shed...the electrics in these bikes like at least a semi-controlled environment. You can google some tips on how to store bikes or cars for long term storage. Godd Luck.

dcam

My dream bike is parked in the "toy shed" by my house, but Im afraid of possible damage that mice might do. Ive got tons of poison all over but am envisioning a worst case scenario where a mouse crawls inside the exhaust pipe and tries to make a nest. Anyone ever have this happen? how far can those critters get up in there?I think I might put steel wool in the exhaust pipe but could be bad if I forgot to take it out. Curious to hear others experiences with rodents, critters, etc. and what they did and what you did about it.
Slip a long sock over the pipe(s) and you will know if something crawls in it. If it does just open the door and fire it up, kinda like punk'n chunk'n! :roll:

Anyway I think you will be fine, welcome from Kentucky. :hi:

You will find all kinds of help here, but you might want to go to introductions first. :up:

demon dog

dude....get your bike out of there! nesting mice will chew on every electrical wire they are near. your headed for a nightmare.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
dude....get your bike out of there! nesting mice will chew on every electrical wire they are near. your headed for a nightmare.
got that shit right!!!!!! had squirrels get hold of the wiring for the injectors in the 4runner. damn hairy tailed rats:angry::angry:

Blackie

Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
I had a wasp nest under my HD tank, which was in my garage by the way , had not been rode in about 4 months. Had a cover over it. I literally was working about 4 feet from them all the time on work bench. Mice?...steel wool or bad ass kitty!! Welcome:cheers:

Sven

Catchmaster.com Let the catalog load. Call for some retailer near you, unless you want to buy a box, open an account you being in the varmint business.

I was waiting for the mice chew post.

Mice chew on anything that will make nests, cribs, a muffler pack called home. Say you make traps around the wheels, kickstand, or where they can stand on their two hind legs and reach up to the pipe? Put one directly under the reach. They have a peanut butter smell is lost some nose hairs (jk).

gkruger

Ironically a stray cat has been wandering around my yard just this past week. I think this is a sign from the Big Dog gods. I do need to "Walk the Dog" more but living in the Dakotas makes is challenging to say the least this year. I do wish I could put the bike in my house as it is truly a piece of ride-able art in my opinion. My wife on the other hand prob wouldn't like that so much. Sock over the exhaust with steel wool surprise inside isn't a bad idea. Love surrounding the bike with traps as well...that could get interesting when I want to ride. Hadn't thought about all the wiring...mice do love wires. I'm nervous.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
For starters, I would never park my dog in a mice infested building. Second, If I were you I would be more concerned about my wiring than I would about the exhaust. Mice and rats have a love for wiring for there bedding. This is a big problem in lowrent housing districts and house fires. If there is no other choice but to put your dog in this enviroment, I would invest in about $300.00 of glue boards to go around your bike.

Sven

In days of old when knights were bold and rubbers weren't invented, they'd wrap a sock around their **** and babies were prevented. Sea man, I think the sock over the chrome may cause condensation and rust the tip?

I'd place pest pellets inside the vance&hines. Come spring time, aim the back end at the neighbor's car and start it up. Paint me a picture.

Zachusmc

In days of old when knights were bold and rubbers weren't invented, they'd wrap a sock around their **** and babies were prevented. Sea man, I think the sock over the chrome may cause condensation and rust the tip?

I'd place pest pellets inside the vance&hines. Come spring time, aim the back end at the neighbor's car and start it up. Paint me a picture.
Lol:D:eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

oldmutt

I also have my bike in a shed. Poison in all four corners of the shed and oily rags in the pipes. Never had a problem in over 25 years. I had a conversion van in my driveway that sat for weeks at a time and squirrels built a nest next to the battery and ate the wires off of the voltage regulator. What a mess.

dcam

A sock causing rust before steel wool,... hmm? :rolleyes:

Here is an idea...coat sock with WD40. :up:

I coat steel wool with WD40 for my trucks chrome exhaust tip and step bars, works great and doesn't rust the wool, plus it keeps the carbon from building up as fast. Better be sure it's good chrome before using it though!

RoadRider

Had a customer with a Goldwing 1500 and a mouse made a nest in the air cleaner and that is a bitch to get to. He had a hell of a mess.

gkruger

ugh, the air cleaner. I hadn't thought of that one either. Now I'm having nightmares. I live in the country and squirrels are a problem too. Honestly, no matter where you live and park your bike if a rodent of some kind wants to get to your bike it will.

Sven

I'd move the old lady out to the shed. A little kitty litter box for her. Call we deliver if she gets hungry. Mouse traps around her bed posts... :Yawn: Problem solved. Nitea'night!

Make her readiss!:nono: Bike sleeps on the couch, lady!