Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Offline GPS/Mapping App

Discussion in 'Technical' started by roadie1389, Jun 8, 2018.

1. roadie1389

roadie1389 Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper DT Yellow Devil, 2003 RoadStar Silverado Silver Edition #1389, 2004 FXDWG (R.I.P. Dad)
    First Name:
    Eric
    Ok, so it is technically technical so if it needs to move, so be it. Any of you long haul guys use a GPS app on your devices? I have used Google maps, Waze, Co-Pilot but they all have issues. I got Co-Pilot for offline usage but the map routing import sucks and they will not fix it. Looking for something that can import a gpx file directly plus alert of fuel or food close to routes.

Thanks

2. pknowles

pknowles Getting better by the day...---... GURU
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    , 2012 CVO Streetglide, 07k9 MAKIN IT MY OWN
    First Name:
    paul
    Google maps has always worked for me. Getting lost is part of the fun. the running out of gas thing sucks though. If you want a hard copy of your trip route and are a member of AAA, they will build you a custom map as a courtesy

HMAN likes this.
  3. Mr. Wright

Mr. Wright Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 BD Chopper- 2002 1100 v-star
    First Name:
    Shannon
    I always map out my route with Google Earth first. That way I can find interesting things along the way, and gas stations, bike shops, rest areas, etc. Then I just write it on my hand. Not full proof, but like Paul said, Getting lost is part of the fun. Ask anyone who has stopped by my place, GPS can't find me.

chubs and HMAN like this.
  4. what?

what? Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 big dog pitbull
    First Name:
    Bill
    my preferred GPS sunset.jpg

5. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    How your going you won't have any gas issues fill up before you leave Amarillo area and you should meet up with Rick and Celeste what 100 or so miles away?

Whenever I'm roadtripping in unknown areas If I'm not 100% sure if I pass a gas station at 80 miles or more I pull in and fill her up. That should just about cover you I imagine you should get 140 on that tank of your out in the open road. I have stopped a few times at 60 mile range just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy the ride wish I could roll with ya. Last time I was up in Amarillo it was cold as hell in April! I had rode up from actually spending the weekend with Rick and Celeste and Shannon and his wife down in Bandera, TX and we rode the twisted sisters. I left the warm South TX weather up to the panhandle and froze my ass off getting back to Dallas.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

#5 Th3InfamousI, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Mr. Wright likes this.
  6. roadie1389

roadie1389 Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper DT Yellow Devil, 2003 RoadStar Silverado Silver Edition #1389, 2004 FXDWG (R.I.P. Dad)
    First Name:
    Eric
    Actually it is more of a "I'm riding along, I want to go this way, I forget where the turn is so I go that way" Lately I have been riding alone so it is not really an issue. I just was trying to get an idea from other folks what they do. I just have an interest how some other folks solve similar issues. But honestly, I usually just use the maps because I got some place new and have no idea how to get to point B or I just to see "what if I go that way". Long trips I like to have an idea of where I am going.

7. Jersey Big Mike

Jersey Big Mike Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    08 K-9, 02 BMC 918ST
    First Name:
    Mike
    What's your problem with importing with Co-pilot and are you using Andoid or iphone?

One of the tricks I use with copilotis to install an android emulator on my pc, install co pilot on it. Make sure the routing options match the PHONE EXACTLY (speeds, preferred rouds etc)
    I then do the map on the larger screen and mail it to myself or move it to the SD card.

roadie1389 likes this.
  8. SB03chopper

SB03chopper Active Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2003 Big Dog chopper, 2004 Honda 1800 R vtx
    First Name:
    Steve
    When I go on a trip, I kind of do like Shannon, as I like taking 2 lanes every where. I look up where I am going print a copy, or care a map, then when I find an interesting little town for lunch I stop. Ask people things around there, and tell them where I am headed, most are very helpful, and are interesting in what I am up to. That is the fun of riding, that is the open rode, and your bike should be able to get you at least 25 miles on reserve (just don't run it hard). I ride by myself all the time, I stop when I want, or ride till I get where I am going. I have taken 7 hours to get somewhere that was a 4 hour drive, and it was one of the best rides I took. If I brake down I'll deal with when that happens (hopefully it won't), but those are the chances you take, and as far as gas goes just think that the next one maybe 50 miles away. It makes you enjoy the life a round you, and giving back to Mother Natural by enjoying what she as to offer.

chubs likes this.
  9. Jersey Big Mike

Jersey Big Mike Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    08 K-9, 02 BMC 918ST
    First Name:
    Mike
    I was a big fan of riding like that when in NJ and PA, but on the coast of SC there are too many roads that go no where. They don't cross any of the rivers so you get miles down them and have to turn around and back track which I find annoying.

I use the GPS generally on longer trips just so I don't have to read road signs that may or may not be there on back roads.

what? likes this.