Paint saver ring removal tool?

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
I made one out of a piece of hardwood, two holes drilled in it then drove two roll pins in it. Filed the pins to fit flush.:2thumbs:

BWG56

Guru
Mine was epoxied in and DID NOT move with nut & bolt, or heat or a fucking hammer and chisel, but I'll tell ya what I did do, fucking caved the tank in from beating on it.:bang: The paint saver was cut out and the threads were screwed up from the epoxy and I had to have a new bong/bung welded in the tank. Good Luck hopefully its not epoxied in.:argue:

Attachments

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Mine was epoxied in and DID NOT move with nut & bolt, or heat or a fucking hammer and chisel, but I'll tell ya what I did do, fucking caved the tank in from beating on it.:bang: The paint saver was cut out and the threads were screwed up from the epoxy and I had to have a new bong/bung welded in the tank. Good Luck hopefully its not epoxied in.:argue:
Yesterday I refrained myself about mentioning your experience :roll: I was going to recommend to everyone to contact you about a "How-To" remove a Paint Saver!!!! :D

BTW... have you painted the new tins yet? send some pics when done! :up:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Yesterday I refrained myself about mentioning your experience :roll: I was going to recommend to everyone to contact you about a "How-To" remove a Paint Saver!!!! :D

You ain't right Franco:D

BWG56

Guru

I debated whether I wanted to share my experience, but my pain can be someone's gain, just thought I would add to be aware if its epoxied in, how would you know if it is, cause it won't come out. I had an 1-1/4" bolt tightened in the threads and hammered the wrench to lock the nut and stretch the threads to lock it on the paint saver. Then with a 18" pipe wrench I tried to turn it out and all it did was turn the bolt out even with heat, I had at least 80ft/lbs of torque on the wrench and no go.
After that was when I now realize I should've walked away, but that ship, has sailed:lol:

No I didn't get the new tins painted yet, I will prolly drop them off with the painter this week when I pick up my fixed tank. He has it ready for paint this week. If its not ready, I will be going to bikeweek with a primed tank:whoop:
I told my wife that I was buying a 2 gallon gas tank and 6' of hose and she can hold the can while we ride in Daytona.:)