Playing with fire on the Chopper

Energy One

Dakota

Butch, Nice job, looks great! :old2: Too bad it is almost end of the season. I have already had a couple mornings down in the teens. Last year got a snow storm day before Thanksgiving lost power for a week and never saw bare ground again till April. I hope that is not the case this year. Again nice job.

Twisted

Thanks Dave, I hear ya, sucks that the weather is turning! We have been lucky so far in November, warmer that usual but looks like that's coming to an end. New Jersey is hit or miss, some winters are bad some are mild but all too cold to enjoy riding. Just means I'll have to come up with more garage projects!!!

Twisted

Beautiful Job!
How did your gas cap flange / paint saver work out?
Thanks! It worked out, I just jb welded it. I figured that's how mine was when I pulled it out and it worked so why not. And if it gives me any problems, I'll probably be ready for different paint anyway,lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BWG56

Guru
Beautiful Job!
How did your gas cap flange / paint saver work out?
I just did the 2 part JB weld Marine epoxy on mine also, this stuff says its gasoline proof, so we will see. I'm letting it set for a day or 2 before I put the paint savor back in, I sanded the bung and the edge of the paint, so I'm hoping this will stop it from getting under the paint.
IMG_1220.JPG

Fat_Bastard

I just did the 2 part JB weld Marine epoxy on mine also, this stuff says its gasoline proof, so we will see. I'm letting it set for a day or 2 before I put the paint savor back in, I sanded the bung and the edge of the paint, so I'm hoping this will stop it from getting under the paint.
View attachment 27866
Looks Good!
Thats what mine looks like; but I did trim just a little more JB Weld off the inside vertical edge just above the inside female thread.
Either way is probably good...

Thanks for posting photo. :)

Nཛ͢ཀཇཧ༏ཧי

... .... .- .. -.
Supporting Member
WOW!

"Twisted", that looks awesome! :old2:
I will go to you next time for Artwork/Paint.

The gas tank cap flange:
What are you gonna do there to keep the paint down?

My guy put JB Weldon it: top and inside threads; I was told to wait a day or two, then with a sharp knife cut the excess out of the threads and install the flange.

Just curious...
How would you ever remove it if needed?

Fat_Bastard

How would you ever remove it if needed?
I assume you mean the JB Weld epoxy,

Epoxy:
I removed mine on the inside thread area with an "Exacto" knife (scalpel like tool) by just slicing it.
(Put masking tape over the holes to catch any chips from falling inside the tank.)

Paint saver / flange:
Prior to this I know Curtis said he heated the flange up a little to break it loose from the factory JB Weld (probably with a heat gun, like for heat shrinkable tubing, not torch).
Carefully: since "we" knew I was not trying to save the old paint, but save the flange.

I know the JB Weld epoxy is an important step and I have seen custom paint where it was not done and the paint bubbled and blistered around the gas cap. Their solution after the fact was to put JB Weld under the paint peel and a little over, then put the "paint saver / gas cap flange" back on.

Last edited:

Twisted

Jb weld is actually pretty brittle when dried so I can see how heating up the paint saver to expand it would break it loose. Mine was jb welded on factory paint and I was able to get it off with the tool and some force.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk