Primary leak into trans???

Energy One

Big_B

Is it possible for my primary to leak oil into the trans and cause it to vent that oil thru the overflow hose? specs are as follows..

2008 K9 with just over 20k miles
While returning from Sturgis to Denver yesterday I started leaking oil all over the back half of my bike on the underside, but only when running at highway speeds. Thought for sure is was transmission but fluid level never dropped from dipstick. Drained the oil when I got home and it was well over the 20oz I put in it at last service, closer to 28oz. Low and behold when I drained the pirmary it was well below the quart I put in it. Engine oil level consistent through all of this (just saying).

How is this possible and what do I need to do to fix this?

erldawg

Guru
Sound like a tranny seal and potentially output shaft bearings in tranny going bad.

I would check shaft for play. Remove primary have had fun.

desertdawg

Check clutch nut. Marc at Baker sent me two hardened new ones. Said bigdog installed soft nuts that get loose cause fluid transfer and eventual shaft damage.

bigdogtech01

Is it possible for my primary to leak oil into the trans and cause it to vent that oil thru the overflow hose? specs are as follows..

2008 K9 with just over 20k miles
While returning from Sturgis to Denver yesterday I started leaking oil all over the back half of my bike on the underside, but only when running at highway speeds. Thought for sure is was transmission but fluid level never dropped from dipstick. Drained the oil when I got home and it was well over the 20oz I put in it at last service, closer to 28oz. Low and behold when I drained the pirmary it was well below the quart I put in it. Engine oil level consistent through all of this (just saying).

How is this possible and what do I need to do to fix this?
Yes, most likely with 20+k miles, your in need of new transmission bearings. Feel free to give me a call.

DemonK9

Well Im fucking here now in this canoe..... Pulling primary off and trans off to send to baker... exact thing happened to me fluid dripping all over on the deck from the vent hose and all over the bike. low primary fluid. trans was full of fluid!

Big_B

Yep, it was a fun project and the Baker rebuild of the trans came with a 1 year guarantee. I took advantage of the tear down to put in a Bandit clutch and could not be happier. Have another 10k+ on the bike and everything still runs like new!

Yep, it was a fun project and the Baker rebuild of the trans came with a 1 year guarantee. I took advantage of the tear down to put in a Bandit clutch and could not be happier. Have another 10k+ on the bike and everything still runs like new!
Mines doing the same thing. How much $$$ did it end up costing you?

Well Im fucking here now in this canoe..... Pulling primary off and trans off to send to baker... exact thing happened to me fluid dripping all over on the deck from the vent hose and all over the bike. low primary fluid. trans was full of fluid!
I'm in the exact same shit boat. What did you all replace and how much $$$ if u can remember, thx

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Standard Transmission rebuild will cost 1000 to 2500 depending on what all is wrong...that doesnt count labor to get it out and reinstall it

Josh at Ross Cycles can help you out...his shop is in St Charles Missouri...The shop is the old Gateway Big Dog...Josh has worked on these for 17+years...he is the closet shop i know near you

Last edited: