Problem? ECH, Starter, OR Compression Releases

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
Dad(woodbutcher) and i were out for a ride today and i had this problem happen to me every time we stopped once the motor was warm (which was every time). Actually now that i think about it, I think it did it on the first startup when the motor was cold. So heres the problem, Turn on the key, hit the run button, hold start button and for a short second the starter turns and then I get a "KA-CHUNK" (sometimes) other times the starter just spins freely and the bike didn't start. I hold the start button again and get nothing. Turn off the key, turn on the key, hit run button, hold start button and motor starts and I ride off as usual. Hopefully I explained that well enough, hopefully you like my "sound FX", and hopefully this makes sense to some one out there. Please Help and thanks for any info.

shane

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Shane, I would first look and see if you are having any leaking. They (the starters) will leak at the back of the primary right under the oil tank.
Also, get a flashlight and check the cable that comes out the back of the starter and see if it is saturated with oil.
Sounds like the starter is starting to go. How many miles you have on it now?

Hope you work it out,
Ray

skully

Calendar Participant
i have a simular problem, does it sound more like the starter drive hits the ring gear?

thats what my sound like, it going back in for them to check it out.

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
ray, almost 4500 today.

skully, it tries to spin the motor and then i get the "ka-chunk". so i dont think it's hitting the ring gear.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Before it goes KA-CHUNK, does it actually turn over at all, or does it just stop solid before it goes over the top with the first cylindar? Mine has been doing that lately. However, I don't have to turn it off to reset it - the second time I hit START, it never fails to spin over normally and start right up. I have been in discussion with my local dealer, and they are going to check out the compression releases next time I come in.

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
Yes i does turn the motor over for a second. i put a call into my dealer today and left a message. Typical "closed on monday" bike shop. Cold cranked it this afternoon and fired right up no hesitation. Like i said seems to only happen with the motor is warm.

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
thought i would give an update after getting back from the shop this morning. My "start" button apparently was the problem. it was sending "bad" info to the ECH.

later
shane

kickstart

Is that the answer the Dealer gave you?

Don't know about anyone else but if I get an answer like besides being pissed off I ask them to tell me exactly what happened, don't want to hear a bunch of Mumbo Jumbo. end of short :rant:

chacha

Chaff Your EHC!!
Calendar Participant
Narow;

I can't think of a single reason the "start" button could be the problem. Did they replace the right hand control board?

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
Narow;

I can't think of a single reason the "start" button could be the problem. Did they replace the right hand control board?
I assume that is what they have ordered under warranty. we will see when they put the part in whether that fixes the problem or not. I didn't have any problems with it yesterday though.

Oscar Maldonado

Guru
Calendar Participant
Narow;

That doesn't sound like an answer I'd want to hear either. But if that's what they told you run with it - and if your problem comes back tell them you want it fixed the right way.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
nothing on the bike was changed yesterday. parts are supposed to be ordered and replaced. the service mgr. told us the problem could be reproduced by the placement of the thumb on the start button.whether true or not, we'll see.

both bikes are getting new speedos.

so far they (low country customs) have given us no reason not to have faith in them.

skully

Calendar Participant
ok here is the answer to my no start;

the ka-chuck was the starter gear hitting the ring gear.
the hesitation in starting was the voitage regulator was not secured to the frame. bad ground.

thanks to tampa big dog, hopefully all the problems are now fixed..
its been raining here since i got the bike back, and i've not had a chance to get out and ride it and see if every thing is ok . it does sound good starting up in the garage.

Oscar Maldonado

Guru
Calendar Participant
Good deal skully. Hopefully the problem has been totally resolved for you. I heard that Tampa is an awesome place for repair and maintenance.

skully

Calendar Participant
update; we have now been able to get out and ride. since they replace the ring gear, no more problems, after the voltage reg was secured NO more slow starts, no more ka-chunk, it fires up like new again. the engine seams to have more punch, maybe that is because the voltage remains constance now.