Purchased a 04 BD chopper less than a day ago and left me walking

Energy One

Reddickracing

Might as well switch to an LED headlight while you’re at it. $50 for a day maker clone on Amazon. Sounds like a cam sensor issue like others have said, if it’s the ignition module from Thunderheart, I think they are getting harder to find. I had to replace both on my 03 and Curtis at wildsteedworx.com was able to help me. Keep us posted.
SUNPIE Daymaker on Amazon. Several have it including myself and I love itDay maker.jpg

Big D Florida

Troop Supporter
Plenty of dielectric grease on ehc connector good and tight connection there and on battery also. I was wondering about cam sensor myself. Is that specific to big dog or is it one I can get locally and retro fit the connectors ?
When applying dialectic grease or any no-oxide compound, a light coat is reccomended, I have seen DC connections insulated by excess grease, perform poorly under load.
As far as your battery... you never know how it was handled prior to purchase, motorcycle wet-cell battery plates are thin and fragile by comparison to that of a car battery, and damage can occur in shipping & handling.
Load testing is free at most automotive part stores.

Last edited:
Well I luck with cam sensor locally. And dropped the battery off at interstate going back in a hour. The cca on the battery is 310

Big D Florida

Troop Supporter
Well I luck with cam sensor locally. And dropped the battery off at interstate going back in a hour. The cca on the battery is 310
Just got
330 cca is recommended.
When the battery is a little down on my bikes, they will crank, but not start.
There are a lot of differing opinions on brand, and tons of threads on the subject.
I would advise considering an upgrade.
:2cents:

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
Just got
330 cca is recommended.
When the battery is a little down on my bikes, they will crank, but not start.
There are a lot of differing opinions on brand, and tons of threads on the subject.
I would advise considering an upgrade.
:2cents:
When I purchased my dog it had a 7 year old Deka that still cranked the engine. I replaced it for peace of mind with the same battery. I believe they are 310cca and they are good batteries priced right.

Big D Florida

Troop Supporter
When I purchased my dog it had a 7 year old Deka that still cranked the engine. I replaced it for peace of mind with the same battery. I believe they are 310cca and they are good batteries priced right.
That's pretty good for a battery that old, the vibration really reaks havoc on the plates, and there is little space in the bottom of the cases for the lead sulfate buildup that shorts the plates at the bottom.
I feel lucky if I get 5-yrs out of one, even in my Harley.

Last edited:
So I cleaned up the cam sensor with some break cleaner there was some residue on it prolly oil. there was just a little bit of oil in the housing I took care of with a q tip Put back together and no luck but figured it was worth a shot. I’m going to order the sensor off amazon. Won’t get it til middle to late next week. Local Harley shop told me that’s old and Harley don’t make them anymore he can’t even order it jack off I don’t believe him. I still get the tea light in the ignition module but it don’t blink when I’m cranking. I started it this morning then took the battery out and had it checked out. Got back home put battery back in wouldn’t fire them cleaned cam sensor still no fire. I’m really hoping new cam sensor fixes it

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
rode around all day got home waited for the old lady we went for a ride. This morning rode to work and it died. Wasn’t getting any fire and the brand new battery just died after a couple cranks. Got it home put a charger on it and 20 min later fires up. I put a voltage meter on it and it had 12.8v off. after starting it’s 13.1 then 1200rpm it charges 14.1v so I got in it rode up the rode a few blocks turned it off the the same thing happened when I tried to start it back up no fire. I asked a local bike shop he said there is no way to fix it rip all the wiring out and wire it up like a Harley for $2000. Is this my only option I have no idea where to start trying to narrow down my problem. Can anyone help please
Whom ever your mechanic is....run, run away fast from this person!!!!!!!!

#1. Where do you live? We have ton’s of people here who can hook you up with a mechanic who can fix the problem correctly. Not adding to the issue with a bigger problem!!!

Update I got ahold of mr. Wright. And when I called him of course the bike starts right up no issue lol but he was very patient with me talked me through testing the cam sensor and tested good. So I have a two mile long black top side road in front of my house I rode back and forth giving her hell hitting bumps then going slow riding easy back to letting her eat and no issues did that for close to a hour. Parked it took a nap went went about 10 more miles and still running good!’

SB03chopper

That is the thing with these bikes, but it will get better, before long you'll start to trust them. The Gremlins will leave, and watch the water, as they will multiply real fast. I wash mine, have not seen any yet, but I had a new brain put into mine right after I bought it.