Question on transmission oil type

Energy One

Ed U. Cator

Higher Ed.
RE: 2006 Mastiff S&S 117 6spd Baker

I changed transmission oil last week using BelRay 80W hypoid GL-5 and it seems to shift a "little bit" harder than before. BelRay bottle doesn't state that it's synthetic. My owner's manual clearly states do not use synthetic oil but use a high quality 75W/140. I visited Baker Drivetrain website and under SUPPORT there's a BigDog section that lists both Spectro & Redline 75W/140 as full synthetic which apparently they recommend for the BD transmission. So which do I go with? Synthetic or follow the operator's manual using non-synthetic. Why is it everything I own has conflicts involved when it comes to simple maintenance & repair? Sheesh!

Furthermore the owner's manual states fill 1 qt. oil in the primary case, yet the primary case has 1.5 qts. stamped on it so I went with what's stamped on the case 1.5 qts. -- of non-synthetic 20w/50 wet clutch support dino-oil. Any preferred brands of that type?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
There's quite a bit of discussion if you search for transmission and primary fluids. Probably more than you will want to read at one setting.

I use Bel-Ray Gearsaver Hypoid 85/140 transmission fluid (20oz) and Bel-Ray Primary Fluid (32oz) in my dog and its worked for over 31,000 miles. Like PK said there is a lot of threads on oils.

Jwooky

I have always used the 75/140 synthetic

32 oz in primary. that is where you should not use synthetic due to clutch slip
Many of us now use trans fluid there to improve clutch grip

SEAL-rider

Bell Ray work great. Just stay away from Redline Shockproof for 2005 and above. It is too thick for the smaller faster spinning bearing.

Ed U. Cator

Higher Ed.
I use Synthetic in all 3 holes and NEVER had a problem... Trans: 75/140, Primary & Motor: same 20/50 and never had clutch slippage problems. just saying.

Don´t read too much into it... you will end up nuts!!!
:chopper:
In Kaptain Amerika's YouTube video he states "no synthetic oil" in the primary case.
What confused me was what my BD manual states vs. what Baker website states in their Big Dog support section.

In Kaptain Amerika's YouTube video he states "no synthetic oil" in the primary case.
What confused me was what my BD manual states vs. what Baker website states in their Big Dog support section.
Many have not had issues and many have.
I just finished cleaning out a customers primary that had been using Synthetic in the primary and was having slipping issues.
No more slipping issues.
For consistencies sake, and because I have worked on dozens of different Big Dogs not just one, I stand by what I state.

heybaylor

I have one hole bikes, two hole bikes and three hole bikes.
Just to keep it simple , I use Rotella 15-40 in all of them.
couple of them are way past twenty-thirty years old .
:chopper:

Ed U. Cator

Higher Ed.
Many have not had issues and many have....
For consistencies sake, and because I have worked on dozens of different Big Dogs not just one, I stand by what I state.
I agree with you, hence why I too avoid synthetic in the primary chain case. As for transmission oil I decided to go with Spectro 75W-140 6 speed synthetic. After all I would think Baker should know what's best for their product better than anyone else.

I agree with you, hence why I too avoid synthetic in the primary chain case. As for transmission oil I decided to go with Spectro 75W-140 6 speed synthetic. After all I would think Baker should know what's best for their product better than anyone else.
Agreed, Spectro is a great product.
We use Lucas here but as long as it is not an overly thick trans oil and synthetic it is good.

Ed U. Cator

Higher Ed.
Agreed, Spectro is a great product.
We use Lucas here but as long as it is not an overly thick trans oil and synthetic it is good.
Kaptain A.
I'm going with Lucas 20W-50 non-synthetic/wet clutch in the primary case, Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic in the motor, & Spectro 75W-140 Platinum Synthetic GL-5 for straight/helical cut transmissions (as listed on Baker's website for the BDM 6-speed trannys).
Does all that sound about right?

My boys used Ams-oil in all there race bikes, so after years of hearing those motors go nuts I thought that that was good enough for me and have been using it in all of my Harleys and my big dog. It is synthetic also.

Kaptain A.
I'm going with Lucas 20W-50 non-synthetic/wet clutch in the primary case, Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic in the motor, & Spectro 75W-140 Platinum Synthetic GL-5 for straight/helical cut transmissions (as listed on Baker's website for the BDM 6-speed trannys).
Does all that sound about right?
Seems like alot of trouble with different oils but if it makes you happy that is all that matters.
I don't know what "Lucas 20W-50 non-synthetic/wet clutch" is. You should just use the Lucas Primary Chain Case Oil.

Ed U. Cator

Higher Ed.
Trying to go with what I can get at a nearby bike repair shop that carries a variety of good oil brands other than having to order online + shipping. The Harley wanted to sell me Belray 85W hypoid gear oil for the transmission claiming many guys running Baker boxes are using that-- yeah, right!!!! Hypoid gear oil that's thick as honey. I think they are confusing shaft drive oil with 6 speed transmission oil.