removing ehc completely

Big Tex

Well if you want to keep your controls then buy a docs kit: I don't know the address

If you want to old school it then:

https://scootersperformance.com/scooters-custom-builder-wiring-harness-basic-chopper-harness.html

If you old school it you will need to buy new bars and controls which should cost you around $400 and the kit $200... The same price as docs but you eliminate the ECH and all the problems...
I would actually love to keep the Big Dog controls but unfortunately the guy before me had the handlebars cut and put Harley controls on the bike. I think that's where a lot of my wiring problems come in to play. Under the seat there is a big wasp nest of wires all zip tied together. Plus where he tied the wires together they are not soldered they are twisted and dipped in a plastic type stuff that is then wrapped in electrical tape. The plastic stuff is not fully covering the wires in all spots so I've tried to go through and make sure that nothing is grounding out but still having troubles. I just don't have a lot of money or I'd just buy new BD controls and top of the line wiring and move on. I can't seem to find and BD controls for under a grand the the new bars and wiring I'm at 1800. For me that is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigkelk9

I would actually love to keep the Big Dog controls but unfortunately the guy before me had the handlebars cut and put Harley controls on the bike. I think that's where a lot of my wiring problems come in to play. Under the seat there is a big wasp nest of wires all zip tied together. Plus where he tied the wires together they are not soldered they are twisted and dipped in a plastic type stuff that is then wrapped in electrical tape. The plastic stuff is not fully covering the wires in all spots so I've tried to go through and make sure that nothing is grounding out but still having troubles. I just don't have a lot of money or I'd just buy new BD controls and top of the line wiring and move on. I can't seem to find and BD controls for under a grand the the new bars and wiring I'm at 1800. For me that is a lot.

Honestly, sounds a lot like me and my deal.. I just had to put away and get little at a time.. but as was mentioned in the post, ur a lot better off getting rid of the etc all together and if u can just clean up whatever wiring nightmare he has I'd go that route.

bigkelk9

Honestly, sounds a lot like me and my deal.. I just had to put away and get little at a time.. but as was mentioned in the post, ur a lot better off getting rid of the etc all together and if u can just clean up whatever wiring nightmare he has I'd go that route.
Sorry my phone thinks it's smarter then i.. EHC.. NOT etc.. lol

Big Tex

Yea that's the plan. I just want to ride for the summer and she's getting to unreliable so I'm disappointed. I just got the bike a few months ago so it's frustrating as hell.

bigkelk9

Yea that's the plan. I just want to ride for the summer and she's getting to unreliable so I'm disappointed. I just got the bike a few months ago so it's frustrating as hell.

I would take it to a local shop that's great with custom bikes and have them sort through it.. I'm sure if u just sit down and take ur side covers off and get down to it you will find ur issue.. I have beat my head against the wall with mine a few times.. as far as the wiring goes I would definitely use Sauder and heat shrink if u don't have access to Deutsch connectors and crimpers.. good luck brother

Coolbreezin

Since the bike is a negative ground design, I would put the switch on the ground wire instead of the hot wire? Isnt this how the kits are made to work? I dont need a kit for 2 switches.

Coolbreezin

I dont have an issue with any part of my bike. When the tech installed the points kit, he disconnected the ehc. I dont know why or if it was necessary. In doing that I lost my tach, hi beam and turn signals. Everything else works fine. Im wanting to wire them so the switches are under my gas tank, out of the way. Eventually, I will replace my bars and the empty controls will be gone.
Since the bike is a negative ground design, I would put the switch on the ground wire instead of the hot wire? Isnt this how the kits are made to work? Please advise. Thank you.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Well if you want to keep your controls then buy a docs kit: I don't know the address

If you want to old school it then:
https://scootersperformance.com/scooters-custom-builder-wiring-harness-basic-chopper-harness.html

If you old school it you will need to buy new bars and controls which should cost you around $400 and the kit $200... The same price as docs but you eliminate the ECH and all the problems...
http://www.deadonecustoms.com/b_dm_electrical_accessories.html
Link for DOC's ESC.

BadDawg Bill

I dont have an issue with any part of my bike. When the tech installed the points kit, he disconnected the ehc. I dont know why or if it was necessary. In doing that I lost my tach, hi beam and turn signals. Everything else works fine. Im wanting to wire them so the switches are under my gas tank, out of the way. Eventually, I will replace my bars and the empty controls will be gone.
Since the bike is a negative ground design, I would put the switch on the ground wire instead of the hot wire? Isnt this how the kits are made to work? Please advise. Thank you.
I have no more words to say so someone else help him....

Coolbreezin

To BadDawg Bill, Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. In no way was I discounting yours or anyones elses input. It just seemed that everyone wants to put a kit on their bikes. I do not. I dont see the need for a kit as Im only wiring 3 switches. I would rather them be separate so if one fails, the remaining two are ok. Im trying to understand the proper way to wire in these swtches.

Bdm4ever

Troop Supporter
To BadDawg Bill, Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. In no way was I discounting yours or anyones elses input. It just seemed that everyone wants to put a kit on their bikes. I do not. I dont see the need for a kit as Im only wiring 3 switches. I would rather them be separate so if one fails, the remaining two are ok. Im trying to understand the proper way to wire in these swtches.
Your question seems like you have it answered before you asked it. You want to rewire or bypass all of the electrical wiring specifications for a Big Dog to fix your specific electrical issues. The selected methods of success for this type of motorcycle are complete rewire of the bike (WP has it and if you want to replace any stock items with Harley Items), rewire just the wiring harness (DOC's ESC, WP Kit, EHC 2) or finally you can just replace the EHC Module (Axel's EHC). And, as you have said you have the manual, you can isolate the EHC pin placement of what components don't work and begin resolution from there.

All of the recommendations made to ya thus far are the recommend and proven methods to fix these bikes successfully. You see, when you start having intermittent problems like turn signals, tech, or speedo not working and have determined those components are actually good, your EHC is beginning to go caputs. There are thousands of articles on the internet explaining exactly how to perform bypassing for the ignition modules for turn signals. Thus you have your answers. I'm really trying to understand why you simply didn't just take the bike back to said expert technician and have them fix what they broke but one prolly has nothing to do with the other..

It would also help if you identified why the points needed replaced? A quick internet and forum search would have recommend upgrading to the Thunder Heart module. But all we have is you want to remove the EHC. I'm just a novice idiot but these guys have really helped me fix some complicated issues with my Dog. I thanks me lucky stars each day I found this site otherwise I'm pay some expert technician thousands of bucks to fuck up my bike. I'd rather do that myself and because of this forum, I know these guys can walk me through anything. I wish ya good luck with solving your issues. This is just my 2 :2cents:

Last edited:

Coolbreezin

Here is what Chopper City did for me. I already had an electric points added. They removed everything and added a simple controller for the brake lights and such. I have had no electrical issues. The battery is a 420 amp lithium ion and Ive had no problems with it since Jan 2019. Now my battery is below my frame, so i can start on my seat.

Attachments