Replacing Clutch Cable

Energy One

awg

Guru
My cable broke at the eye hook. I started to replace it after reading the how to's here on the forum. But I have a couple questions. On the first picture, I cannot separate the two ends. It is threaded out as far as it will go. Can I continue to replace the cable without any issues? In the second picture, according to what I read, the lever will come off after pushing out the bushing. Well I see no plastic bushing and the one side is pretty beat up from aftermarket mirrors. Not sure what to do at this point.

IMG_20190514_120733.jpg

IMG_20190514_120743.jpg

IMG_20190514_120759.jpg

Jwooky

Firstly, the first pic, you should be collapsing the adjustment (ie no threads showing), looks like you are expanding it.

It doesn't come apart, you just want it to be the min length.

To remove the cable, you have to remove the pivot pin (item 33), slide out lever then you have to drive out the pin (item 32)

upload_2019-5-14_13-24-54.png

awg

Guru
I did go the wrong way on the cable adjustment. Can I continue or thread it back together and then pull the clutch rod out? I did get the pin out. So problem #1 is solved. I dont want the whole thing flying apart.

Last edited:

Jwooky

Yes collapse it all the way down to create as much slack as possible.

You don't need to remove the rod. Just loosen the jam nut and back the rod off the throw out bearing so there is no tension on it.

awg

Guru
Well, pretty much have it all together. Just have to put the clutch lever back on. When I ordered the clutch cable it came with a new plastic piece (for the cable) and a small rubber o-ring. Don't see it in the picture, didn't have it when I took the old cable out. Should I worry about it?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Well, pretty much have it all together. Just have to put the clutch lever back on. When I ordered the clutch cable it came with a new plastic piece (for the cable) and a small rubber o-ring. Don't see it in the picture, didn't have it when I took the old cable out. Should I worry about it?

The o-ring should go on the end of the cable that screwed into the clutch