Riding with a FAT Rear tire

11bsoldier

not to sound to green but what do you mean by countersteer and grabbing the uneven pavement? ive really ever only been on the sport bikes so a lil more info and advice would be great!!

Biker Babe

Queen Bee
Calendar Participant
Countersteering was taught to me in my Motorcycle Safety Classes. It's basically initiating a turn toward a given direction by momentarily steering counter to the desired direction (steer left to turn right).

DODGER

I have a custom built with a 250 and it took a little to get use to an uneven road surface. I keep thinking my rear axle was lose and moving, stop to check several times before i got use to the tire.

LamboV12

Countersteering was taught to me in my Motorcycle Safety Classes. It's basically initiating a turn toward a given direction by momentarily steering counter to the desired direction (steer left to turn right).
Atta girl Kathy!
You have to turn left to go right. A momentary turn in the opposite direction will initiate the turn. As stated earlier, I also swing my hips to start the lean and on very slow turns, light rear brake with continuing with throttle keeps the turn neat and clean. Takes time to master it, but i can turn the K9 just like my dresser -

Garyzac

Not sure how to use this site. But anyway i have a 2007 model Big Dog Mastiff with 300 rear tyre. I find it very hard to corner. Will a 250 rear tyre suit this rim ?

BWG56

Guru
Not sure how to use this site. But anyway i have a 2007 model Big Dog Mastiff with 300 rear tyre. I find it very hard to corner. Will a 250 rear tyre suit this rim ?
I have the same bike and I didn't notice any difference in riding from my Suzuki Intruder with a smaller tire.
How long have you had the Mastiff? Maybe a little more seat time will have you cornering better. Nothing like a fatty 300

Mike manson

I had a 2006 victoryjackpot which came with a 250 but a had a 300 rim put on it and I loved hitting the turns with it then I went to street glide didn’t care to much for it that’s why I’m with the dog now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Daddy 72

Custom Street Rod Interiors & Design
I have an 06 mastiff with 250 rear tire. When I first started to ride it I thought I forgot how to ride a motorcycle. It took some time to get used to. Just ride according to your comfort level. If you feel like your going to fast slow up a bit until you feel comfortable. Speed comes with time you will get used to it. When I got my k9 it has a 300 rear tire and I felt it was easier to ride. But I think that has more to do with the design of the bike than the tire.

Choppers are harder to ride it takes time and skill. Throw a big tire in the back and a skinny one up front and that steps up the skill level from there. With that being said I have seen RC18 fly around corners with his ridge back (330) rear tire that would make me slow down on a sport bike. The point is they will handle the corners you just have to get used to the bike. Give it time and dont get cocky and you will be fine.

Another note, this is gonna sound real stupid but. When my nerves are up a bit a shot or two of whiskey or a beer or two helps me stay calm and ride better.

Now by all means Im not telling anyone to do this because only I know what my tolerance level is and you know yours.

Im certainly not saying I get plastered and ride like a bat out of hell. But in moderation it helps to smooth me out. But thats just me. And again Im not saying drink and ride.

Figure out what helps you stay calm and relaxed BUT ALERT and you will ride better. Also go to you tube there are several good on line tutorials that give wonderful points on safe riding.

Garyzac

I have the same bike and I didn't notice any difference in riding from my Suzuki Intruder with a smaller tire.
How long have you had the Mastiff? Maybe a little more seat time will have you cornering better. Nothing like a fatty 300
Had it 12 months. but your right about the seat time. First time i rode it scare the crap out of me.All together different to my handling of my Fatboy. So been staying off it. Just got to get out there & get more practise. Age is against me to now (72), but the mind is still young. Thanks for reply

Twisted

Going from a Softail with a 200mm tire and never riding a chopper, I was a little intimidated when I test rode my bike. I was very surprised to find out that it didn't ride that much different. It does take a little getting used to turning due to the length, kind of like going from a short bed/single cab to a quad cab truck, just aint gonna turn as tight. Other that that and being a little more to handle on a very slow roll, not that much different.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Had it 12 months. but your right about the seat time. First time i rode it scare the crap out of me.All together different to my handling of my Fatboy. So been staying off it. Just got to get out there & get more practise. Age is against me to now (72), but the mind is still young. Thanks for reply
You may find you like the Mastiff more than your other bike. Since I got my Mastiff in 2006, have only rode my Harley 1 day and the Buell gets no loving. Would like to pick up a Bulldog Bagger someday.

Get out and ride, up are gonna love that hound

:chopper::chopper:

heybaylor

another plus on my 01 pit with 180 tire .....ride's real good, now if only it wouldn't hit bumps.....lol