Screaching noise on acceleration into 1rst gear.

Energy One

Deathstar88

Clutch shifts fine, but I notice , when I'm stopped at a traffic light, and the light turns green, I accelerate into first gear, I notice a slight screeching sound. It only happens accelerating into first gear. I noticed my primary belt is beginning to show signs of wear. Could the wearing belt cause the noise? Or could it be something else?

Deathstar88

looks like its wearing at the outer edges. The belt is 4 years old. Clutch shifts fine. Its a little stiff, but that's not unusual for these bikes right? The noise seems likes it coming from the open primary somewhere. that's why I figured the old wearing belt might cause a noise. Just likt it would in a car with old belts

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I noticed my did that this weekend. Then it stopped. With the open primary, it will be prone to getting dust and dirt between the clutch discs, may just need a good blow job. If it keeps doing it, take the clutch apart and clean it.

FrankBDPS

Mine makes a screeching noise sometimes when I take off from a light. It leaves the Harley that was sitting next to me in a blue haze of smoke. Will also do it in second gear if I am not careful

Deathstar88

just took a 5 hour ride to bike night event, and primary and clutch made loud clacking sound for about 1 hour, especially when downshifting, or taking off into first gear. Then 1 hour later it went back to normal. everything seems tight, and snug, but that sound was awful. I thought the primary was gonna fly off the bike. that's how loud it was. Then shortly after, noise just goes away. So weird ! ..........I think my clutch is fucked .

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Like I tell my wife, when it quits making that noise, stop and pick it up and I'll put it back together for you.
I would say you have a broken clutch basket.

Deathstar88

That's what I was thinking BWG....but the noise just stopped 30 min from home. Wouldn't the noise be continuous if the clutch hub nut was loose , or if the basket was broken? the clanking sound totally Stopped. Guess the only way to find out is to pull it apart

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
when the noise stopped, it could have just found it's true resting place and waiting for the next time it gets jostled by a pothole to jump back out of position.