Shredded Belt & Pully

Drewv1

Well I think I found the culprit with my belt. Looks like the top bolt from the coil cover backed out and fell down behind the primary and got wedged in there. :bang:
That being said, I have followed the pdf that shovel posted above( thanks:up: ) but am not seeing how to get this final piece off. Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me how to get this thing off. I'm probably missing something simple but I'm out of ideas. Thanks

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Sure, pull that clutch hub nut (in the center) and pull the assembly out. On the 05 and newer it's a 1 5/16" nut. Not sure if you 04 and older is the same.

:cheers:

Drewv1

Thanks for the help there. I was a bit hesitant to start pulling those pieces without being sure of what I was doing. You all are a huge help for some of these questions I can't figure out from the manuals.

Got everything off that I can see but I must be missing something. Are the bolts connecting to the starter on the backside of the primary? I don't see anything else on the inside or front of the case. Maybe I need to remove the oil cover to see the them?

This is getting to be quite the project for my skill level:eek:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
The bolts to the starter go thru the starter from the right side of the bike and thread into the backside of the inner primary.

Check out Al's thread on the open belt switch over... some of the steps and pics will apply to your job.

http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/how/180-how-convert-chain-belt-drive.html

And here's a picture of my starter coming out on my old 2006 RSD

Starter out

You can see the bolts still sitting in the starter in this pic

And NO you don't need to pull the battery tray/oil bag out to do the job, mine was out for other reasons. It will just be a tight fit. May need to remove the pipes, depending on what you have..
Either way will need some long ratchet allens with some extensions

lee

so are those two bolts literally all you need to do to remove the starter? Subject to wiring connections of course.

hoat

? leftb side drive? you sure that you don't have to remove the jackshaft bolt for the starter to come off? On my harley you had too.

shovelcowboy

Calendar Participant
I would suggest you get hold of a HD Softtail Service manual. IMHO it is an absolute necessity for anyone owning a LSD Dog. When I was building my Red Chopper (which has a BDM 107 and drivetrain) I used this manual (which I had for my '98 heritage springer) ALL THE TIME.

This service manual (plus the pdf links I posted for you) would get you through this repair your doing.

Shovelcowboy:cheers:

? leftb side drive? you sure that you don't have to remove the jackshaft bolt for the starter to come off? On my harley you had too.
Hoat is correct you will have to remove the center bolt from the jackshaft to remove the gear before you can pull the starter. Pay attention to how it comes off.

Drewv1

I would suggest you get hold of a HD Softtail Service manual. IMHO it is an absolute necessity for anyone owning a LSD Dog. When I was building my Red Chopper (which has a BDM 107 and drivetrain) I used this manual (which I had for my '98 heritage springer) ALL THE TIME.

This service manual (plus the pdf links I posted for you) would get you through this repair your doing.

Shovelcowboy:cheers:
Thanks Shovel. I'm downloading the '07 manual right now. All I have left is to get that pulley off and then I can start putting it back together.

It looks like I need a specific tool (mainshaft locknut wrench). Anyone have any tips or tricks to get around needing this tool. Looks like a simple thing but sales for about $150 bucks.

Last edited:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
do you not have to do that for a RSD?
No Lee you don't. Pull those 2 bolts and that is it. EASY!

But being its LSD as I specifically said, I linked Al's thread due to the differences... mainly the jackshaft. After that its all the same.

Drewv1

Well I'm still waiting on my belt but have a few questions I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. I didn't find anything in my manual or the Harley manual. Local mechanic doesn't seem to know either.

I'm looking at the crank case seal and it looks like there was some sort of clear silicone used along with the seal. Anyone know what this was? It seems like the rubber seal would work fine but there is something else being used in there as well. Harley shop says they only use that black rubber seal.

Also, will the primary case oil seal for a softtail fit my dog? Hoping to avoid driving all the way to my dog dealer.

After these last few questions are squared away, I should be able to get this thing back together.

Oh yeh, one more thing I don't have any specs for, is there any difference in pulley size from left side to right side drive? THe new one from bigdogparts kinkpin seems to measure about 1/16 - 1/8 wider than my current one.:loony:

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I have yet to change my belt even after 24K miles but means I have been watching this thread I will get a rock tomorrow

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Well I'm still waiting on my belt but have a few questions I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. I didn't find anything in my manual or the Harley manual. Local mechanic doesn't seem to know either.

I'm looking at the crank case seal and it looks like there was some sort of clear silicone used along with the seal. Anyone know what this was? It seems like the rubber seal would work fine but there is something else being used in there as well. Harley shop says they only use that black rubber seal.

Also, will the primary case oil seal for a softtail fit my dog? Hoping to avoid driving all the way to my dog dealer.

After these last few questions are squared away, I should be able to get this thing back together.

Oh yeh, one more thing I don't have any specs for, is there any difference in pulley size from left side to right side drive? THe new one from bigdogparts kinkpin seems to measure about 1/16 - 1/8 wider than my current one.:loony:
The 05's (RSD) went to a skinner belt. I think it's 1 1/8" vice your 1 1/4 or 3/8" belt.
Also the 05's are teflon coated.

:cheers:

I'm not sure about the 1/16 to 1/8 wider pulley your talking about but the 04's have a 1-1/2 wide belt so there is no way an 05 would work. If the pulley overall is a little wider this is probably due to different mfg. makes.

Drewv1

I have yet to change my belt even after 24K miles but means I have been watching this thread I will get a rock tomorrow
Damn, Lets hope not.:eek:

Anyone got any tips or tricks they use to lock this pulley in place while they crank on it? I'm now going on my second new pulley because I put a big ding/chip in my new one trying to lock it in place with a break bar. :bang:

Will Harley torque specs work for our bikes as well? My manual sucks but the HD manual has specs for everything.

mcgroom

Damn, Lets hope not.:eek:

Anyone got any tips or tricks they use to lock this pulley in place while they crank on it? I'm now going on my second new pulley because I put a big ding/chip in my new one trying to lock it in place with a break bar. :bang:

Will Harley torque specs work for our bikes as well? My manual sucks but the HD manual has specs for everything.

Not sure what you are cranking on but here is the torque spec for you.

Rear pulley bolts 60 ft lbs, blue loctite