STARTER NOT ENGAGING

Energy One

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
Ok i have read many threads on starter issues, mine (07 K9LE) occassionally makes a hard "CLUNK" and doesn't start, then this morning it did that and now it spins but is not engaging and starting the motor, any ideas or similar issue? I was able to get it push started and to the house, thanks to the kindness of a stranger, the girlfriend and I wore ourselfs breathless trying to push it off. I only have 2500 miles on it and have only had it a couple of months, can't believe it is broke already. HELP.

Moespeeds

Aren't you still under warranty? Just pull the primary cover and see what happened in there. Probably just a broken jackshaft/bolt. Don't ride it like that, your jackshaft could be laying in the bottom of the primary. Also check your starter bolts.

BikersDream

We build what you Dream!
No jackshaft bolt, Starter bad, Replace under warranty! Also make sure to check the basket ring gear, Possible teeth gone on it too.

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
The bike was reclaimed deal from a failed dealership, i paid close to 7K under MSRP but forfieted the warranty to get it that cheap, so all problems are mine to fix. I appreciate the advice, will pull the starter out next week, got some bow hunting to get into for this weekend so the bigdog will have to sit and stay for now. Really disappointed to have problems so quickly.

Anyone ever have that bone jarring CLUNK happen when they hit the starter????? It happened several times before but would always start after that happened.

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
No need to pull the starter first. Pull off your outer primary cover and look. I bet you sheared the starter shaft in half and the gear is just laying there that was attached to the starter shaft. You are only out primary fluid to check this. Mine did this and I had the same symptoms you have. A new starter is 475.00 but you can get one off of Ebay that has been rebuilt for a 100 bucks.....
Look and see behind the primary cover first...Just a bunch of housing bolts to pull and a rubber gasket that you can reuse..
The clunk is where it missed the ring gear. The shaft was probably cracked or bent. Was the bike hot when it happened the first few times and you tried to crank it back up?
Neil

Last edited:

BikersDream

We build what you Dream!
No need to pull the starter first. Pull off your outer primary cover and look. I bet you sheared the starter shaft in half and the gear is just laying there that was attached to the starter shaft. You are only out primary fluid to check this. Mine did this and I had the same symptoms you have. A new starter is 475.00 but you can get one off of Ebay that has been rebuilt for a 100 bucks.....
Look and see behind the primary cover first...Just a bunch of housing bolts to pull and a rubber gasket that you can reuse..
The clunk is where it missed the ring gear. The shaft was probably cracked or bent. Was the bike hot when it happened the first few times and you tried to crank it back up?
Neil

(A new starter is 475.00 but you can get one off of Ebay that has been rebuilt for a 100 bucks.....)??????????

You get what you pay for!

1BADK9 you should check out your compression releases and make sure both are working!

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
How would i be certain the compression release is functioning properly. How to check????

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
Oh and thanks Nomad, i will look on that side first before pulling the starter off. I have a square panel in the middle of my primary, can i see what i need to by removing that instead of the whole cover? Damn i had hoped to ride this thing alot more before learning about how to fix it. Oh and yes i belive every time I have had that awful CLUNK and not turned over, the engine was warm. SOB did it to me in front of the Harley Dealership with an audience of about 10 onlookers once, bad dog.

Last edited:

BikersDream

We build what you Dream!
How would i be certain the compression release is functioning properly. How to check????[/QUOTE

Touch the top of the compression rel with your finger, hit the start button as if you were starting the bike. Feel the comp rel go down. Then the same for the other cyl.

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
well hell even i have enough mechanical skill to stick my finger in something...... will do, thanks alot. I have a lot to learn about this new motor.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
well hell even i have enough mechanical skill to stick my finger in something...... will do, thanks alot. I have a lot to learn about this new motor.
Don't open the throttle when starting either. :2thumbs:

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
copy that Ray "no throttle" hey if my motor is not turning over will the compression release system still be functioning?

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
Bikersdream,
The starters for a $100 are just rebuilt BDM Spyke starters. My original starter that came on the bike broke. My rebuilt starter is doing the job.

1badk9,
You also can check your compression releases to see if they are sticking. Simply press down on top of the plunger seeing how they are spring loaded. You should feel it go down and pop back up with no hesitation. If it sticks down you can pull it and clean it to remove any carbon causing this.

Neil

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
Yep guys pulled the starter out last night and sure as shinola, it looks just like the pics ya'll posted. I did not remove the primary though, i pulled the started and then plucked the broken gear through the backside where the starter was mounted. Oh and do you have to loosen your battery tray to get that starter out on a K9, man i couldn't get mine out without doing that??? But I have local bike shop that will rebuild my starter with a new shaft and gear so at least I don't have to foot the bill for a new starter or the labor to replace it. I also got to the bottom of how I did this damage to the starter. Without a manual or a warning from the dealership, I had been occassional applying a small amount of throttle when depressing the starter, closing the CR-Valves. Yep F@#*ed it up by operator error. I received my manual in the mail last week after breaking the starter. I am sick with the feeling of stupididty but am throwing my humilation out there for others to learn from.

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
Glad you found the problem...
Giving it gas will not close the compression releases but it will bump up the amount of compression in the jugs...
Neil

bruce

my 2006 k9 had a very loud bang sometimes on start up but only after it was warmed up or hot, like when you stop for gas. It would start after several times. bigdog put several starters on under warranty but problem kept coming back, I now have a kararta open primiary and problem has stopped. so I do not think it was anything you did.

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
Thanks Neil, I read the thread you wrote, I have experienced a similar situation with a 2-stroke YZ 400 i own. I had just replaced the piston and rings so the compression was at its peak. Well a weak throttle return spring didn't allow the throttle slide to return down when you opened it up. THere was so much vacuum through the carburator that the slide wouldn't fall. So my YZ 400 is running wide ass open and not stopping. I clutched and stopped. The kill switch wouldn't stop the engine, so last ditch effort, i pulled the plug wire. That is when i freaked. The motor kept running, vacuum pressure holding the throttle slide open and diesel effect burning the fuel. Last ditch effort was closing the choke. That killed the run away YZ.
I will pay close mind to the starting of the K9 over the next few weeks and see if there is any correlation to being warm.

I did luck out in my repair bill, instead of a $425 new starter, I was able to find a jack shaft that matches the one I broke at a local starter/altenator shop and only paid $10 bucks for the shaft, a buddy with a bike shop put it in my starter for me, so all I have left to do is put the starter back on this weekend. I do intend to drain the primary and remove the cover for a good inspection of that side since my dumbass push started the bike and rode it home with the broken shaft and gear bouncing around in there. I won't ever do that again, if the Bigdog won't start get the trailer! Thanks for the information, I have learned alot about my bike this week and got lucky it didn't cost me alot. Hell only 58 payments left and that beauty is all mine. Hahaha