starter solenoid

Energy One

MARV

the guts are common parts. take it to an alternator shop and they'll have replacement parts.

RRRUFF

Is the solieniod pulling in when you hit the start button but not spinning the starter? If so you can just pull the end off of the solieniod and clean up the contacts and maybe fix the problem.

dermer

my brothers' 99 sport has a solonoid problem. We have 12.7volts at the green wire when the start button is pushed. The Slam button works fine, so, everything downstream of the solonoid works. It seems everything upstream of the green wire is working. I think it's time to pull the starter. Do I have to pull the primary to remove the starter? Can the stator coil be rebuilt?

waskier

More Info

More on Ricks' 1999 Vintage Sport. Pulled starter, had solonoid coil cleaned repaired, and reinstalled. Still just clicks. Pulled right handlebar switch assy apart and pulled out starter switch. I jumpered from battery to starter solonoid and the bike turned over. I jumpered from Upstream side of kill switch to solonoid, bike turned over. Jumpered from upstream side of start switch to solonoid, bike turned over. Jumpered from downstream side of switch to solonoid and bike turned over when the start switch was activated. Accessed EHC. There is a Hella relay on the bottom of this EHC. I pulled the relay, removed it's cover, and reinstalled. I can see and hear the relay activating when the start switch is cycled, but, nothing. With the start switch activated I can jumper the relay internally and the bike turns over. Anybody know where I can get a Hella Relay labelled 4RD 931 524-02. There is also an engraved number 1109.

waskier

update

I found this on another forum.

Bosch: 0 332 207 307 or 0 332 019 150
MotraTech: MGR-C20 or MGR-C20S (MotraTech)
Seimens/Tyco: V23074-A1001-A403
Hella: 4RD 931 524-02 or 4RA 003 510-131
Chrysler/Mopar: 56006846
VW/Audi: 431951253D

the Mopar # superceded to # 4671168. After one day and a dozen starts. It's still working perfect. We'll see. It's really nice to use the start button. $21.10.

dermer

I would like to thank Waskier for his persistent and professional work on the Big Dog. His (pardon the pun) dogged rundown and successful repair of the starter issue is a reflection of his ability and attitude.

Kudos, Bro,

Dermer