Still no go

Letbigdogintocanada

7B1EE998-DDBA-45C2-845F-CCDE119F1198.png Just replaced the starter but still when I hit the start button the starter gear just free spins the clutch gear ,any help would be greatly appreciated,

That is a bit odd with a new starter.
Clearly the starter solenoid is either not pushing the intermediate shaft out or something is impeeding it from pushing the shaft out. Have you tried popping the solenoid cover off and pushing the shaft out manually to make sure something isn't interfering mechanically.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I was unable to make it up there this weekend to lend a hand, however from the texts I received this is my understanding of what is happening; The starter does engage the ring gear correctly, spins the ring gear BUT the primary sprocket does not rotate thus the primary chain does not move and engine does not turn over. Ring gear and primary sprocket should be bolted or riveted together, correct? So my guess would be that they have sheared apart, he can spin the clutch basket/ring gear freely without the primary chain moving. Never had an issue such as this and without seeing it in person I'm taking a stab in the dark..

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I was unable to make it up there this weekend to lend a hand, however from the texts I received this is my understanding of what is happening; The starter does engage the ring gear correctly, spins the ring gear BUT the primary sprocket does not rotate thus the primary chain does not move and engine does not turn over. Ring gear and primary sprocket should be bolted or riveted together, correct? So my guess would be that they have sheared apart, he can spin the clutch basket/ring gear freely without the primary chain moving. Never had an issue such as this and without seeing it in person I'm taking a stab in the dark..
Correcto Mundo. 04 AnD early are Harley and the ring gear bolts to the clutch basket. If that's the case I would think he had metal in there or saw Bolt heads laying in the primary?

Unlike 05+ that it's all one unit. The Bolt is nice cause you can replace a worn starter gear very cheaply!

Looks like the picture

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

roadie1389

Letbigdogintocanada

Thanks Doug ,might take you up on that offer coming this Saturday

Letbigdogintocanada

If you have a mirror and a flash light you might be able to see behind the carrier otherwise looks like somebody is taking a clutch apart :) Make sure to keep the friction rings/plates in the same order. I did mine and placed it upside down, tapped the backside and all the plates came out.

I got replacement lock tabs from JPCycle -

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/220-0293/american-prime-manufacturing-inc-clutch-nut-lock-tabs
If you have a mirror and a flash light you might be able to see behind the carrier otherwise looks like somebody is taking a clutch apart :) Make sure to keep the friction rings/plates in the same order. I did mine and placed it upside down, tapped the backside and all the plates came out.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/220-0293/american-prime-manufacturing-inc-clutch-nut-lock-tabs
you probably right,thanks for all the help and info,greatly appreciated

Letbigdogintocanada

Did you upgrade to carbon fibre plates?