Stop and turn problem

tomcat

I have a 03 chopper and when I start it up, the turn, stop and speedo don't work. But they do when it is not running but ignition on. Any ideas?

cdogg556

Guru
I have a 03 chopper and when I start it up, the turn, stop and speedo don't work. But they do when it is not running but ignition on. Any ideas?
Well that's a new one that I've never heard before, I wonder if you have a loose connection somewhere and the vibration of the bike while running is enough to cause the connection to separate? Other than that I'm not sure since you say it starts and runs fine, don't really sound like an EHC issue.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
03 had a recall years ago. The problem was that the seat was pushing down on the EHC and causing pinched wire problems. Their fix was to put a big tie strap horizontally around the plastic box that holds the EHC, to keep the EHC in place and not crush the wires. I've fixed two this way and it cured the problem.

JR03CHOPPER

Also check your wires under the rear fender. The tire can wear the channel built into the fiberglass. This will cause the wire to make contact and eventually short out. Might not be the root of the problem with your controls but could be a reason for your brake lights. I used plumbers cement to make a new channel for the wire and it has held up well.