Swapping Ridgeback and Chopper Bars

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Well, here it is, swapping out bars. I had posted this over on the other side and thought I'd steal it back.

In this case I am putting a set of 2005 Chopper bars on my 2005 Ridgeback to get a little more stretch on my bike. I am doing the removal only so the install will be just the reverse order. I'll go into real good detail on the removal so install will be cake.

It will be easiest with the bike on a lift with the bars tied straight so they can't flop back and forth on you. I did this complete removal and installation in 3 Hours by myself without help. Here is the bike on the lift:

Make sure fuel petcock is turned off, place old towel under tank and remove fuel line and put a bolt in the hose to cap off, In my case I removed the line completely to replace with a stainless line and fittings.

There are four plugs that need unplugged, two white, two grey. Follow the harnesses down and unplug them all. Remove the securing loop from the frame neck and clip the zip ties holding the harnesses together.

Next, remove the two bolts securing the speedo to the bars. I found it easier to go ahead and pull the speedo harness back up through the trees to hold it out of the way to get to the bolts.

Remove the speedo and bracket:

Now we move on to taking off the controls and grips. Remove the two bolts out of the left control and remove.

I wrapped the control in bubble wrap, or you can wrap it in a towel and let it hang out of the way.

Loosen the lock nuts on the throttle adjustments, and completely back them off, but remember about where they were.

Remove the two bolts on the right control and split the halves carefully.

Swing each cable up and slide it out of the grip, BUT DO NOT LOOSE the brass furrals on the cable ends. I put a piece of tape on them to hold them together until reassembly.

Wrap that control in a towl and secure with tape. Pull the right harness from the bars.

Now unplug the left control panel but don't loose the little gel pad on the board.

You can now pull the left harness from the bars. Loosen the two small set screws on the left grip and slide off.

NOW, loosen up and remove the two large bolts holding the bars on he triple tree. Make sure to hold the bars and not let any of the washers fall. Holding the bars , slide the right control off and let it hang carefully.

Well it is all apart and now you can start reassembly. Use blue locktite on everything! The main thing on this install is the clutch cable length. It is going to be a little on the long side now. I'll explain in a minute how to fix that. Here is a picture with the Chopper bars back on the bike:

Loosen the Bolt on the back of the tree holding the clutch cable and slide back some slack. Loosen both frame clamps and rotate them so that the cable is on the side of the frame instead of the rear of the frame rail.

Here is a picture of the adjusted clutch cable and the rotated frame clamps:

Here is some pictures comparing the Chopper bars to the Ridgeback bars. The Chopper bars are on top:

Here is a picture of the Ridgeback Bars with a measure to compare to. NOTE where the bars break from the risers and the face of the Speedometer is in relation:

NOTE where the Face of the Speedometer is in relation to the Chopper bars here:

The difference in the bars is only about 1/2" higher at the most. But 2" farther forward on the bike at least. Like I said I am 5' 11" tall and kinda felt like I was riding a cruiser before with the bars way back at me. I felt like I was sitting straight up, if not leaning back. I think these feel more comfortable now. I feel I did not make a mistake changing them out and love how it has more of a stretched out custom chopper feel to it now.

Last edited:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Nope, I don't have them, I actually swapped the guy for the Chopper bars. He wanted mine, I wanted his. I am sure if you post up in the Doghouse, someone with a Chopper will trade you even up.

Status
Not open for further replies.