Traded forward control kits, now shift rod doesn't seem to "shift"

No H2O

I'm probably not going to explain this well but here's my best try:
I bought an 04 Ridgeback with an extended forward control kit (two frame mounting plates and a shift rod).
I traded for a stock forward control kit (again two frame mounting plates and a shorter shift rod).
I mounted everything but then when I try to shift (with the engine off) I realized that the lever by the transmission was pulling the shift lever by the foot all the way back so there was no "room" for the foot to shift the foot lever towards the rear/upwards (and therefore into a higher gear).
I figured the foot shift lever should be centered enough so that the foot shifter
could shift forwards (downshifting) or backwards (upshifting).
So I loosened the shift rod almost to the point where the ends were coming out and it couldn't be loosened any more.
Same thing, the foot shift lever is all the way in the back/rear position and when I clutch in and try to shift (electricity on but engine not running), no shifting.
I doubt turning the bike on will help this situation but if so I'll do it tomorrow since it's middle of the night here, I'm well into a 12-pack at this point, and this thing's pretty loud
temp-RB-shift-rod.jpg
Oh and while I'm at it, where is the oil dipstick and any ideas why can't I get my gas cap off?

fiftyonefifty5150

I ran into the same exact problem when i traded foot controls. I had to get a different sized shifter rod. I ordered mine from Donna and it worked out perfect. I will measure mine and let you know what size i had to get when i get home from work in the morning. I have an 04 Chopper DT. Im not 100% sure you will need the same size though. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know.

No H2O

The shorter shift rod that I traded for measures 16.25" from center of hole to center of hole as pictured above.
Looks like I erroneously assumed that there was either a stock control shift rod or an extended control shift rod but it's likely that there are different length shift rods based on year/model.
I'm on a mobile device today, howdo I contact Donna to order a stock shift rod for an 04 ridgeback?

fiftyonefifty5150

Shovelheadkicker & bigdogpartskingpin on Ebay.
Call Donna or email for any Big Dog parts or apparel you would need. We carry all OEM Big Dog parts and we have the largest selection of hats, jackets, shirts, ect. We take all credit cards and we try to give free shipping for all forum members! We are very proud to support this forum and all members!!!!
bigdogpartskingpin@yahoo.com
620-257-2009

Reddickracing

Order you a redesigned gas cap while you at, alcohol over time swells the rubber and a bitch to get off and on. I got a new one from Curtis slick as butter now.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
if you use pliars make sure to tape up the tanks good so you won't damage the paint. a small filter wrench might work just covet the tank cap with a rag or something.

bigkelk9

Shovelheadkicker & bigdogpartskingpin on Ebay.
Call Donna or email for any Big Dog parts or apparel you would need. We carry all OEM Big Dog parts and we have the largest selection of hats, jackets, shirts, ect. We take all credit cards and we try to give free shipping for all forum members! We are very proud to support this forum and all members!!!!
bigdogpartskingpin@yahoo.com
620-257-2009
Yeah, this guy n I traded up and ran onto the same issues.. they have all different size rods.. need to line it up with ur brake and measure.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
No oil cap dipstick unless you have a rigid then you can buy one but only for some models..lol

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

bigkelk9

I had 2 extra ones different sizes, gave them to Eric, mabe he can chime in and see if one of them will help u and u n him work a deal. I think they were like 29 bucks a piece if I'm not mistaking

No H2O

Yeah, this guy n I traded up and ran onto the same issues.. they have all different size rods.. need to line it up with ur brake and measure.
I'm working on the assumption that the shift lever up front should be roughly in the center of its range of motion, this way it shifts both down gears and up gears. I'm about to go measure and order, is my assumption correct or is there another/better way of determining which shift rod length I need to obtain?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I'm working on the assumption that the shift lever up front should be roughly in the center of its range of motion, this way it shifts both down gears and up gears. I'm about to go measure and order, is my assumption correct or is there another/better way of determining which shift rod length I need to obtain?
This makes sense

bigkelk9

Really how I did it was just made sure it was inline with my rear brake lever. But yes.. u got the right idea.

roadie1389

04 Chopper. I believe the Ridge and Chopper front should be about the same. I will measure it when I get home.

No H2O

So I measured the length of my shift rod not including the ends and it's about 12 & 7/8"
When I manually place the shifter in the middle of its range so that the foot shift pedal lines up roughly with the opposing brake pedal, it looks like I could use an additional 2.5-3" in length on the shift rod

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
So I measured the length of my shift rod not including the ends and it's about 12 & 7/8"
When I manually place the shifter in the middle of its range so that the foot shift pedal lines up roughly with the opposing brake pedal, it looks like I could use an additional 2.5-3" in length on the shift rod
You need to measure bolt hole to bolt hole and give them that measurement.total length should include the heim joints.