VOLTAGE REGULATOR INSTALL QUESTION

coachk

Once again a big thanks to Curtis for getting me the VR. It's a pleasure doing business with you. Now, here's my question:

On the old VR (black one) there is only one lead and then the stator plug leads.

On the new one (chrome) there are 2 leads and the stator plug leads.

1) The lead on the new VR (far left) gets grounded to the engine case?
2) Does the other lead on the new VR(the long one in the middle) replace the lead on the old VR (middle one)?

If so, Do I just cut that middle lead of the old VR and then splice the new middle lead to it?

Thanks

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Don't splice the New VR to the old wire, Pull the new wire all the way back to the battery.

Slicing it just adds one more place for failure than you had before you replaced it.

coachk

Don't splice the New VR to the old wire, Pull the new wire all the way back to the battery.

Slicing it just adds one more place for failure than you had before you replaced it.
Had to splice it..it wasn't long enough to go back to the battery.

spadesluck

Stinks about being to short. I know I ordered one from Curtis and it was way to long. I am sure he is trying to find a happy medium for sure. Great guy to deal with BTW!:up:

Bluesong

I also ordered one from Curtis. The wire was long enough. My question is, where exactly do you connect it? I followed the old cable back all the way to a square looking switch that appears to be a ground. This bike has been rewired so I hesitate to connect it there. Following is a photo with a green arrow pointing to the location. Is this correct? Also, how crucial is it that I run that cable through the heat shielding that the old one was in?
upload_2019-5-21_19-15-49.jpeg

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I also ordered one from Curtis. The wire was long enough. My question is, where exactly do you connect it? I followed the old cable back all the way to a square looking switch that appears to be a ground. This bike has been rewired so I hesitate to connect it there. Following is a photo with a green arrow pointing to the location. Is this correct? Also, how crucial is it that I run that cable through the heat shielding that the old one was in?
View attachment 65017
That one is actually wired correctly. However what else is hooked up to it? On that power wire? Might just want to go straight to the battery and if it goes to some new control module it would be wise to isolate that on a separate fuse.

Battery is connected to the AUX side (gold post) and VR to the side labeled BAT. Circuit breaker provides protection on the AUX side only the goal is to provide protection to the battery, the VR itself has some internal protection from battery shorts.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk