What dialectric grease?

Energy One

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
For all the talk regarding stuffing connectors full of dialectric grease, I'm curious what kind folks are using - and where did you get it?

Is any one kind better than the others for our applications?

Someone might even want to take a hack at describing what it is and what it does, so everyone is aware of the value.

Just thought this could be a valuable thread to capture - have at it! :up:

Sparks

Chopper Junkie!
OK I'll give it a shot. If you've ever bought a trailer wiring kit there is a little tube of the stuff in the package. It looks like vasaline and they tell you to snot up the connector with the stuff. It doesn't conduct electricity so you won't short out by arching the conetors. What it will do is basic physics (no to things can take up the same space at the same time) When the grease is there water can not be there, dirt can not be there, in fact not even air can be there all of which can have an adverse affect on connectors. That's the basics of the goo!

LamboV12

I'm sure some are better than others, but I get mine from NAPA.
They brand it under Echlin ML-3. Just tell the guy you want dielectric grease or sometimes called dielectric compund. Small tube about $5. Put in connectors, around electric stuff to keep water, condensation, etc out. It also prevent connector pins from arching / shorting into each other..

Opps...Sparks beat me to it....

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
I just picked some up at the local parts store.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I just picked some up at the local parts store.
Yeah, it's unbelievable how much that little tube costs. I looked it up online and you can get a bigger "toothpaste" size tube for a lot less.
But that little tube has done all my bikes connections.

:flag:

CCRainman

Yeah, it's unbelievable how much that little tube costs. I looked it up online and you can get a bigger "toothpaste" size tube for a lot less.
But that little tube has done all my bikes connections.

:flag:
Not only that Ray, how about lock tite, never sieze or another on that line. What a rip off

woodysan

Grease:

:flag: If you are not using it, you should be. Take it from experience. Woodysan P.S. Loctite in red tube its actually a blue liquid use it especially on grounds & battery connections----a must!

Last edited:

KRAUT

Dielectric grease is a non conductive silicone grease made specifically for electrical connections to exclude moisture. It will not inhibit the passage of current. If recollection serves correct Chrysler first started using it when they came out with their first electronic ignitions in the 70's. It is widely available in all automotive outlets. Because it esentially makes a connection water and moisture proof it is good on any connection subjected to the elements. I dope up my trailer connections-light bulg plug ins ect. Even Xmas lights. We use it in volume on tools run in oil and gas wells on electric wire line sometimes in excess of 15,000' deep. It works. I've used it to water proof radio gear in RC race boats. Boat trailer light sockets that are submerged-fill the socket, grease the bulb, put bulb in socket -no worries ever again. You get the drift.

Vegas

Very good guys but Big Dog recommends synthetic dielectric grease in the connectors. :whoop: I used regular.:cheers:

Rick

Very good guys but Big Dog recommends synthetic dielectric grease in the connectors. :whoop: I used regular.:cheers:
Big Dog should practice what the preach and try using a little dielectric grease either regular or synthetic when they do assembly. As many of you know I am in the midst of a tear down. I disconnected and took apart almost every connector on my k-9, and I found NO dielectric grease in any of them. Connectors were dry as a bone and most looked oxidized. Will grease them all on reassembly!

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Was there any grease on the EHC connectors? They've really made a big deal about that in the past.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Do it anyway. But you should see their synthetic stuff there. It was a recall or service bullitin before on it. I know mine had tons of it on there. But it was all dried and crusty.

Vegas

Was there any grease on the EHC connectors? They've really made a big deal about that in the past.
Mine had some reminents and it was all dried out. Cleaned that shiat out and filled them babies to the brim. EHC connections are the most important connections for the dielectric grease. If you are having intermittent problems that is the first thing I would do.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
It appears this has been a useful thread so far - just trying to bring some attention to this important topic - thanks for the responses.

Now, who can expand on the idea of SYNTHETIC versus ...what? DYNO dialectric grease? Pros and cons?