Who Rides there big dog with windshield

Do you Ride your Big Dog with a windsheild

• Yes, it is permanently attached to the bike.

Votes: 40 14.1%
  • Yes, But only during cold weather months.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • No, I like the wind in my face!

Votes: 73 25.7%
  • Hell no!!! it is not cool to have a windshield on a Big Dog

Votes: 150 52.8%

• Total voters

minermark

Well one thing leads to another i guess. the wife told me the other day she is pretty much done riding on my back side, and she prefers to be the "Chase" car.
So i started polishin last week and ask myself, what the fuck do i need a sissy bar for, so i pulled it, I stand back and look at it and that windscreen made it look like a moped.
So i just pulled it too, my, what a strange new look.
first ride coming sat when the rain drys up, and we shall see........

Olddoger

Yes! After many miles and a bad back, I need it to break the wind. Got my Pitbull 4 weeks ago and just designed a bracket and finished making the shield today. My first attempt at the shield and plan on re-doing it. I'm going to leave out the creases on the edges and just round out the whole thing. Also round out the top better. The bracket was fairly simple to make. Attached some pics. Interested in doing your own let me know and I'll feed you some tips. Bob

Attachments

Last edited:
Yes! After many miles and a bad back, I need it to break the wind. Got my Mastiff 4 weeks ago and just designed a bracket and finished making the shield today. My first attempt at the shield and plan on re-doing it. I'm going to leave out the creases on the edges and just round out the whole thing. Also round out the top better. The bracket was fairly simple to make. Attached some pics. Interested in doing your own let me know and I'll feed you some tips. Bob
Nice job on the windshield and brackets. You did a good job on the fab work :2thumbs:

Olddoger

Thanks Mickee, Just finished the new windshield and it came out even better. Smooth finish and curved to match the bike. I'll post some pics later.

Here are the new pics of my new windshield. Works great, highway speeds keeps the pressure of the wind off my chest and face. Still feel the breeze!

The windshield is made from a 13" X 14" X 3/16" piece of plexiglass.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jwooky

Very nice olddog! I want to make one for long trip as well. What did you use for the acrylic?

Looking forward to see the new pics.

stryfox

I voted no but I always wear a full face helmet so I don't see a need for it in my case.
I thought my bike looked good with a single seat but it is always set up with a 2up and bar.
That's how it works best for me. If a windshield makes it work better for you the go for it.
Who cares what others say. Then again you did ask for opinions and you got lots of them.

Phildo

What are you asking for the windshield, and do you know if it would fit a 2004 ridgeback?
pHIL

tommy666

I'm fixated on a permanent one. Not bad. Keeps some of the junk off the trunk! To each and his own....

C00lHandLuke

I don't have use for one but I'm not necessarily against them. I just share the philosophy that if the wind bothered me enough to get a windshield, I would just get a bagger for the longer trips.

StreetHog

Friend of mine has one on his chopper and yes it does make a difference but if I need the shield, I ride the Street Glide. Glad to have that option.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
I've had mine on since 2004. I take it off every once in a while. But it cuts a shit load of air off my wife's head. Since her neck surgery where they replaced the disk in C-2 & C-3, and screwed a plate to the inside of c2 &c3 she just can not stand the wind force of no wind shield. She loves to ride on the back. So if a windshield allows her that comfort then screw it I'll ride with it on! It's not big, but big enough to blow the air over her!

Attachments

hatbrand

I have a tinted one I would sell ya if you decide to go that way. I think they look pretty good, I just don't like windshields on bikes. Pm me if you are interested.
''''what would you take for the windshield and what size is it

hatbrand

I get a kick out of judgemental people who scoff the use of windshields. Those people who ridicule chopper riders with em may change their perspective when they've lost an eye. I hit a startled bird only thing that saved more serious injury was the windshield. I've had four heart attacks, on high dose of blood thinners (and other meds) degenerative disc disease 14 broken ribs,2 concussions, IED, arthritus, etc. etc. I still ride f..k and unfortunately fight occasionally at 67 years of age. Having ridden bikes since the 60's I am amused by the comments of some of the "hardcore old school" bikers. I'm old(er) old school for the most part and a biker but I don't measure up to some standards. LOL. OK i'm getting off my soapbox. Peace