Won't start

I searched the threads and gave up so I thought I would come to you guys. I have problems with my '05 Ridgeback not starting. It barely starts to crank and the the hazards start flashing. I put a new starter in last year and was still having problems. Come to find out my battery would not pass a load test. So I put a battery in it last year and it was all good. Now my battery was shot again so I replaced it with a superstart battery frow Oreilly auto parts and the bike wont start. It only has like 225 cca. Is this my problem now you think? connections are good and clean. any opinions would be appreciated. I figure someone has came across this problem with the flashing hazards and not starting.

rufroggy

Last weekend, had the same issue with my buddies 05 Mastiff. New battery and your all good..Of course, I had to call Raywood and verify the double flashers and no start..

hoat

a battery from orielly autoparts. COME ON. Spend the bucks get the Harley AGV softail battery or Find an Oddesy battery that fits. Search battery here and there are a ton of options.

NOT one from a chain parts store :job: :zz2cents:

IrishGuy

Do you keep your battery on a tender at all times when not riding? If not this would probably do the trick.

Marco Polo

Newbie DELUXE
You've had to replace your battery twice already? I can see it if you don't ride much and don't use a tender but otherwise I'd be more concerned about why you're having to replace them so often in the first place. Was the second one a cheapy from O'Reilys also or was it originally a good quality high Ah battery? If it was I'd find out what's going on before you buy a nice Odyssey and ruin it.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Do you keep your battery on a tender at all times when not riding? If not this would probably do the trick.
Not with a 225CCA!

As stated... go to your HD dealer. Get a AGM battery for a softtail. should run abt $100. It will do the trick and you won't have this problem.

The hazards flashing after TRYING to start is your bike telling you that the battery is a NO GO.

IrishGuy

Not with a 225CCA!

As stated... go to your HD dealer. Get a AGM battery for a softtail. should run abt $100. It will do the trick and you won't have this problem.

The hazards flashing after TRYING to start is your bike telling you that the battery is a NO GO.
Whooops yeah! Thanks for catching that gas :cheers:

Eric

Banned
why not a interstate battery?? just bought one it's a 310 cca it's on the tender for @ least 10 hrs before it goes in bike, dealer said that bdm recomends this battery for up grading from stock 270 cca

BigRub

I had a similiar problem with my 06 K-9. When I hit the start button it sounded like it was going to start but then stop and my flashers would blink and my horn honked. I always keep it on the charger too!! I pulled the battery and took it to the battery mart and had it tested. The technician told me the voltage was good and the load test was good. I went home and started to clean up the connections which had some corrosion, not much and I found a wire on the positive side of the battery that had a burned wire terminal connector. It appeared as if there was some arcing. I put a new terminal lug on and threw the battery back in and haven't had a problem since....Anyone else have this issue????

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I had that problem too but clean and tightened worked for me too
:up:

RRRUFF

Same thing on mine, battery 3years old, wouldn't start, lights flashing, horn beeping. New battery no problem.

Also woodbutcher expand on the Interstate battery problems.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
long story short. original battery seemed weak, so i ordered a new interstate. came in, picked it up, put it in. cranked good the first time. rode about twenty miles and stopped for gas. WOULDN'T CRANK. had to get it jumped off. took it back they got me another new one (know it was another battery cause the posts weren't scratched up) had the dealership put it on an overnight charge and a load test. picked it up and put it in the bike. rode for about 35 miles and stopped at NAPA to check on some scratch remover. guess what, WOULDN'T CRANK. put the old battery back in and guess what, IT'S STILL CRANKING, six months later and another winter. interstate is just a re-badged "somebody else's POS battery that is 270cca that interstate says is 320cca-----------BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe not so short, but that's my story and i'm stickin' to it.

RRRUFF

Thanks woodbutcher, I was just wondering because we put one in my buddys bike and so far no problem. And I didn't want to recommend a bad product to someone else.

Cutter

I also had intermittent problems with my speedometer and odometer. and constant issues with my tach fluctuating and reading 3500-4500 rpm's in 6th gear @ 75 mph... especially when it was below 40 degree's outside.

Thought it was condensation causing problems since I have had so many with the speedo in the past, and the glass fogs when it is cold.

3 year old battery wasn't cranking in the cold even with the tender...

New batt = No problems even @ 25-30 degree's :2thumbs:

Like others have said -The Tender is a MUST HAVE...

thanks for the replies guys. I don't know what I was thinking going to Oreily's. Super start my ass!!! I did end up taking that battery back and getting my cash back. I put an interstate 310cca or so they say and It started right up. I have had some issues with batteries in this bike. I am not sure why but I dont believe none of them were the gel batteries. So hopefully this one will get me to winter. once again thanks for the input guys!!

Brian Zarle

Can anyone help?
I have a 2006 Big Dog Mastiff with 5000 miles, last week I'm out riding and the bike stalls, But wouldn't start back up! The Dog has a 117 S&S motor and is Carbureted,. I replace the battery , spark plugs & wires, New voltage regulator, changed all fluids installed a new , EHC rip generation 2 Kit from Big Dog. Hit the start button, she purred like The Beast that she is. So I waxed her all up, got her Shining then took a break ,Then went to take her for a drive" I turn the key on, hit the Run button , push the start button, and all she'll do is turn over, So I checked for spark, And have no spark at all. So I've went over every single wire at least a hundred times I've triple checked every connection. But I can't get Spark, I only have one LED light on my ignition module, when it's illuminated it turns red. And I'm getting no light to the ignition module , I went around with the test light and it seems everything is getting power, But No spark at all. Humm