Won't start

Mike manson

Can anyone help?
I have a 2006 Big Dog Mastiff with 5000 miles, last week I'm out riding and the bike stalls, But wouldn't start back up! The Dog has a 117 S&S motor and is Carbureted,. I replace the battery , spark plugs & wires, New voltage regulator, changed all fluids installed a new , EHC rip generation 2 Kit from Big Dog. Hit the start button, she purred like The Beast that she is. So I waxed her all up, got her Shining then took a break ,Then went to take her for a drive" I turn the key on, hit the Run button , push the start button, and all she'll do is turn over, So I checked for spark, And have no spark at all. So I've went over every single wire at least a hundred times I've triple checked every connection. But I can't get Spark, I only have one LED light on my ignition module, when it's illuminated it turns red. And I'm getting no light to the ignition module , I went around with the test light and it seems everything is getting power, But No spark at all. Humm
Did you do a introduction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Zarle

I, get it! I thought that is what a profile was for. I just came here looking for some mechanical advice, not trying to tell people about my life, or what I do' or the things I see or own or fly or jump from. Just a little mechanical advice. And if that's too much to ask for then I guess I'm at the wrong place , But I'm sure not looking for facebook, or anyone " to wipe my back Crack. However I hope your Enjoying your, evening.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
I, get it! I thought that is what a profile was for. I just came here looking for some mechanical advice, not trying to tell people about my life, or what I do' or the things I see or own or fly or jump from. Just a little mechanical advice. And if that's too much to ask for then I guess I'm at the wrong place , But I'm sure not looking for facebook, or anyone " to wipe my back Crack. However I hope your Enjoying your, evening.
it's just a little show of respect, and trust me, I for one don't want anything to do with your butt crack, lol. some people are just a little more into the niceties of protocol. good luck with getting your skoot sorted out.

Brian Zarle

I Thank you, for your time. But Not looking for rules , or new Friends, And that doesn't me that I'm not respectful, I came here for knowledge, And advise. But not to talk about myself. It's very weird to me, just sounds like more data collecting, and what any of that has to do with a mechanical issue, is over my head. Looks like I'll just continue to search, ..

MossBerg590

I Thank you, for your time. But Not looking for rules , or new Friends, And that doesn't me that I'm not respectful, I came here for knowledge, And advise. But not to talk about myself. It's very weird to me, just sounds like more data collecting, and what any of that has to do with a mechanical issue, is over my head. Looks like I'll just continue to search, ..
Stick around, introduction isn't a "rule". Some people are set on not helping unless you do it for some reason. All in good intentions though, just like a little family. I'm sure someone will chime in with ideas.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Can anyone help?
I have a 2006 Big Dog Mastiff with 5000 miles, last week I'm out riding and the bike stalls, But wouldn't start back up! The Dog has a 117 S&S motor and is Carbureted,. I replace the battery , spark plugs & wires, New voltage regulator, changed all fluids installed a new , EHC rip generation 2 Kit from Big Dog. Hit the start button, she purred like The Beast that she is. So I waxed her all up, got her Shining then took a break ,Then went to take her for a drive" I turn the key on, hit the Run button , push the start button, and all she'll do is turn over, So I checked for spark, And have no spark at all. So I've went over every single wire at least a hundred times I've triple checked every connection. But I can't get Spark, I only have one LED light on my ignition module, when it's illuminated it turns red. And I'm getting no light to the ignition module , I went around with the test light and it seems everything is getting power, But No spark at all. Humm
Check the coil -- disconnect and you can test it with an ohm meter.
You can also manually trigger the coil, to test it (a little dicier if you're not used to electrical crap and High Voltage)
Did you check BOTH plugs for spark?
Did you check your spark plug cables?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Welcome to the forum Brian. Look in the tech sections. Lots of good reading.

BWG56

Guru
Can anyone help?
Does the ignition module red light flash once and then stay off when you turn the key on?

Brian Zarle

Good morning everyone, so yesterday when I came home from work I" went out and with my test light grounded it out to the battery, And I just started poking the wiring harness everywhere, when you turn the key you have power to the headlight, turn signals, start button, horn, ! Everything works, but my ignition module

((((The module is a Thunderheart programmable with one LED light that illuminates red, when working ))))

Wont light up and I'm not getting any Spark, so I hooked up a test light , and just started testing every wire and I noticed that a lot of my wires including my three coil wires was not getting any power at all. So for some reason I ran a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive terminal of the coil, and now I'm getting spark. Does this make sense to anyone? As far as the wiring I checked every plug over I inspected every plug I , I looked at all the pens, and the wiring harness has been updated to the new EHC r i p kit , that I just recently purchased at big dogs motorcycle. Could I have possibly bought a bad EHC RIP kit from Big Dog motorcycle?

Last edited:

Brian Zarle

And Thank you to everyone , if I figure this out I will come back " and write a post on what happened and what the issue was that caused this. So hopefully after making some calls today I will be able to leave and update thanks everyone..

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
The ignition module light will not come on at any time unless I run the jumper wire from the battery to the coil.
Sounds like you might have a broken wire/bad contact.
Since the ignition module should not be doing anything with the positive to the coil except pass it thru, I would check all the connectors form the ignition module to the coil -- Do you have the wiring diagram?

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Sounds like you might have a broken wire/bad contact.
Since the ignition module should not be doing anything with the positive to the coil except pass it thru, I would check all the connectors form the ignition module to the coil -- Do you have the wiring diagram?
And check that power is going to ignition module as well.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
The ignition module light will not come on at any time unless I run the jumper wire from the battery to the coil.
Sounds like the problem is the 3 pin connector that is RED/GREEN/BLACK that goes from the controller to the ignition module. Also you could pull and clean the contacts on the EHC.
On the EHC harness connector A (one with 4 large contacts) A19 (below the 3 large contacts and 4th from left is the power to the ignition module.

Srodden

I searched the threads and gave up so I thought I would come to you guys. I have problems with my '05 Ridgeback not starting. It barely starts to crank and the the hazards start flashing. I put a new starter in last year and was still having problems. Come to find out my battery would not pass a load test. So I put a battery in it last year and it was all good. Now my battery was shot again so I replaced it with a superstart battery frow Oreilly auto parts and the bike wont start. It only has like 225 cca. Is this my problem now you think? connections are good and clean. any opinions would be appreciated. I figure someone has came across this problem with the flashing hazards and not starting.
Get a Harley Davidson 310 cca battery should be good to go ! Just sayin. I’ve always had a good experience with these batteries.