Won't start

Hirter6Pack

Not Quite A Guru
The ignition module gets its power to come on when you hit the run button.
The ignition module should flash once. So could also be the switch in the hand control which you can figure out and momentarily jump the switch to power up the ignition module.

BWG56

Guru
The ignition module gets its power to come on when you hit the run button.
The ignition module should flash once. So could also be the switch in the hand control which you can figure out and momentarily jump the switch to power up the ignition module.
That's why I asked if it flashed, if it flashed, its a short. If it don't stay on then there's no power to it.
With that said, and maybe someone can verify this with the RIP, I went with the ESC, do you still have to shut the bike off with the off button and does it make a difference if you turn it off by the key instead of the off button. So turn the key on, push the off button, then push run and start.

Hirter6Pack

Not Quite A Guru
That's why I asked if it flashed, if it flashed, its a short. If it don't stay on then there's no power to it.
With that said, and maybe someone can verify this with the RIP, I went with the ESC, do you still have to shut the bike off with the off button and does it make a difference if you turn it off by the key instead of the off button. So turn the key on, push the off button, then push run and start.
Ok with the RIP for the 04.
Key on.
Push run button.
Ignition module LED will come on but only for a few seconds.
Push start button.
Ignition module will flash with the pick ups from the cam sensor. Then appear to stay on while running.
You can shut the bike off with the off button or the key. Then will have to push run button before starting again.
The ESC might be a little different.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the problem is the 3 pin connector that is RED/GREEN/BLACK that goes from the controller to the ignition module. Also you could pull and clean the contacts on the EHC.
On the EHC harness connector A (one with 4 large contacts) A19 (below the 3 large contacts and 4th from left is the power to the ignition module.
Think Mike nailed it.

I be willing to bet if he pulls that 3 pin connector going into the module I bet if he looks at it he might have a broken pin or something. But he can test to see if it's getting power on the red wire when he hits the RUN button. And you should check power using the ground pin too then to the battery ground because it could be a bad ground.

I had an issue with the ground pin in that plug on my 04 and just grounded the ignition module directly to the battery via a jumper wire and just used the bolts to the ignition case to hook it up. Pretty sure that was 4-5 years and 10k miles ago. Also coincidentally enough it just randomly lost the ground in that connection when I just changed the damn battery.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Think Mike nailed it.

I be willing to bet if he pulls that 3 pin connector going into the module I bet if he looks at it he might have a broken pin or something. But he can test to see if it's getting power on the red wire when he hits the RUN button. And you should check power using the ground pin too then to the battery ground because it could be a bad ground.

I had an issue with the ground pin in that plug on my 04 and just grounded the ignition module directly to the battery via a jumper wire and just used the bolts to the ignition case to hook it up. Pretty sure that was 4-5 years and 10k miles ago. Also coincidentally enough it just randomly lost the ground in that connection when I just changed the damn battery.

The tell was when Brian applied power at the coil.
It's the connectors/broken wire most likey.
There is a slim chance that its the RIP kit but given I haven't heard about many failures with them I'd bet against that.
Could be the switches to if the run needs to be hit on the RIP to power up and that switch is bad -- same result.

Brian, check the handlebar switches as well for proper operation. Remeber BDM switches ground out connection, not apply power.

Mike

BWG56

Guru
Ok with the RIP for the 04.
Key on.
Push run button.
Ignition module LED will come on but only for a few seconds.
Push start button.
Ignition module will flash with the pick ups from the cam sensor. Then appear to stay on while running.
You can shut the bike off with the off button or the key. Then will have to push run button before starting again.
The ESC might be a little different.
ESC is exactly like OEM, turn key on and Ignition light is on without touching anything on the bars. And Brian has an 06', not a 04'

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
ESC is exactly like OEM, turn key on and Ignition light is on without touching anything on the bars. And Brian has an 06', not a 04'
The new RIP is too. I have a very old version that RUN/OFF is now a single not a dual switch. Same with high/low

Don't know if it functions different or makes a difference, but Brian's ignition module must be the adjustable replacement model Thunderheart as only light is red & a round dial with A-F & 0-9 on it, besides the round data hook-up.

BWG56

Guru
Don't know if it functions different or makes a difference, but Brian's ignition module must be the adjustable replacement model Thunderheart as only light is red & a round dial with A-F & 0-9 on it, besides the round data hook-up.
That's the programmable Ignition, but the light should come on and stay on when the key is turned on.

That's the programmable Ignition, but the light should come on and stay on when the key is turned on.
Thanks, as I felt it should function that way but didn't wanna tell Brian wrong as my '05 Chopper has the stock Thunderheart & '05 & '06 manual show the same stock module.
I told him u guys would jump in and help him, as I'm still running the stock EHC also and don't know the 'RIP' functions.
As I told him this is a great brotherhood, and u all will help as I believe BDM told him they don't know either.
I've helped 1 other new member troubleshoot a stock system(to find bad ignition module) and he asked why I helped sending manual print outs, info, etc(that I also sent Brian) - I told him I know the frustration & feeling, & as my lil' momma from meek beginnings would say 'Son don't buy anything u can't use or eat either'!