Relpacing Drive belt ?

dogxcr

Hi everyone,I am new to this site and new owner of a 2004 BD(107c.i.) softtail chopper. I'm just starting to go through it to replace all the wear items :tires,brakes,filter,fluids,etc. Upon taking the rear tire off I noticed gouge in the drive belt. Now,I need to rip the primary apart which I have no clue how to do. Does anyone have a service manual or pdf file I could purchase? Also,I would like to order the parts asap while I'm waiting to get a manual. Does anyone have part numbers of the seals,gaskets,belt,etc that I will need to reassemble the primary with the new belt? I would really appreciate any assistance!

Thank you,Ronn

Brew

Troop Supporter
Welcome from Washington State, hope you enjoy the site. As Carlos stated we have many vendors that can help you out with parts information and purchases...:cheers:

wyatt580

Welcome to the dog pound :2thumbs: There are a few venders on this site that are members that own BDM and sell part or offer other services, you can find them under venders.

This is one that can put you on the road quick or guide you to the right parts man.

Wild Steed Worx & Services, When the road is your trail

Carlos :whoop:
carlos is right the venders here know these bikes and you'll get the right part the first time.... if wsw cant I would try mcgroom [mischief cycles] supper fast shipping and best price for the right part... plus if any ??s these venders will help.. not dodge you after they got your money...and no i'm not affiliated with them just learned the hard way... good luck peace....

Last edited:

dogxcr

Thank you! I have a connection to get some of the parts...mostly through Drag Specialties. He is more harley oriented though. I need to know what parts to get and come up with part numbers. Im hoping to order the parts,seals,gaskets and belt before i take primary apart. Id like to tear down and reassemble the same day so everything is fresh in my mind. I can work on snowmobiles all day with ease,but this is the first bike I'll be working on.

wyatt580

Thank you! I have a connection to get some of the parts...mostly through Drag Specialties. He is more harley oriented though. I need to know what parts to get and come up with part numbers. Im hoping to order the parts,seals,gaskets and belt before i take primary apart. Id like to tear down and reassemble the same day so everything is fresh in my mind. I can work on snowmobiles all day with ease,but this is the first bike I'll be working on.
Pm kap or mcgroom they'll give you good solid advice... without tryin to sell ... but id go with one of them Right part the first time... nothin against your connection.. but i would almost bet you'ld get a better price to...

dogxcr

Thanks. I did contact KaptinAmerika and purchashed what I needed through him. My parts came in last night. He's a very nice guy to talk to and definitely would recommend him to others. I'll get the part numbers up here one of these days as a reference to others replacing a drive belt along with all gaskets.

cvegmond

Replace the Final Belt

Hi everyone,I am new to this site and new owner of a 2004 BD(107c.i.) softtail chopper. I'm just starting to go through it to replace all the wear items :tires,brakes,filter,fluids,etc. Upon taking the rear tire off I noticed gouge in the drive belt. Now,I need to rip the primary apart which I have no clue how to do. Does anyone have a service manual or pdf file I could purchase? Also,I would like to order the parts asap while I'm waiting to get a manual. Does anyone have part numbers of the seals,gaskets,belt,etc that I will need to reassemble the primary with the new belt? I would really appreciate any assistance!

Thank you,Ronn
If you are changing out the final drive belt you don't need repalce any gaskets on the primary, unless it's leaking. You will want to replace the primary oil.

Your 2003 BDM is like a Harley. Go to the HD dealer and ask for a final drive belt for a softail or order one cheap on-line.

Later, Cor.

ghosttl2316

Replace the Final Belt

If you are changing out the final drive belt you don't need repalce any gaskets on the primary, unless it's leaking. You will want to replace the primary oil.

Your 2003 BDM is like a Harley. Go to the HD dealer and ask for a final drive belt for a softail or order one cheap on-line.

Later, Cor.
I was wondering if u might be able to help me along with changing out my final drive belt on my 2003 big dog chopper I've been trying to find some sort of a service manual on the old three big dog chopper it's almost impossible it seems like either that or three $400 which I don't have that's the reason why I'm trying to do it myself if you could help me out in any way I would appreciate it

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
I was wondering if u might be able to help me along with changing out my final drive belt on my 2003 big dog chopper I've been trying to find some sort of a service manual on the old three big dog chopper it's almost impossible it seems like either that or three $400 which I don't have that's the reason why I'm trying to do it myself if you could help me out in any way I would appreciate it

ghosttl2316

Hey I appreciate that I found that one a little earlier all I'm really concerned about is when I go to take the primary and the compensator off I've got to take all of that off plus the plate and the rear wheel to get the final drive belt back on correct